DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Cyanide said:

@S.K.o.S. wins for dopest movie night curator at this point.

This. SKOS is the best.

Mark being an anti-list non-hipster actually makes him a hipster, yes?

Star Wars: Force Awakens movie ranked above Streetcar Named Desire?  Get offa my front lawn, you young punks!

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

332) FITZCARRALDO (1982)

Director: Werner Herzog

101 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (83%)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 54 (80s)

'Fitzcarraldo' always feels like one of those movies I SHOULD really like.  I mean, I love Werner Herzog, I love the story behind this, the setting etc. etc. but it just doesn't quite click with me.  I like the documentary about it a little bit more than the movie itself, too.  It's an extraordinary achievement, but I'm not sure it's a great film.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, caley said:

'Fitzcarraldo' always feels like one of those movies I SHOULD really like. 

This will come with age and nostalgia and being disciplined enough to seek out those particular films and actually sit down and watch them without prejudice.. 

Once you are an old bastard like me, you will come to appreciate quite a few of the movies that you felt you should've liked when you were younger, but you didn't because you were determined not to like the things your parents liked and you had the attention span of a gnat..

When I was a kid I HATED Ben-Hur because it was that long ass movie my dad watched every Easter and he insisted we watch it with him.  That cut into precious Super Nintendo time.

Now I am an adult and have a house of my own and what movie do I watch and enjoy the crap out of every Easter?  Ben-Hur.

That is not to say that you will feel the same way about every "classic" you revisit.  I still do not like Gone With The Wind and Wuthering Heights and quite a few of the GOATs that Hollywood movie snobs say I should love with all of my heart.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I know this is a super dumb statement but I liked Ben-Hur except for the Jesus parts.

Ben-Hur is a swords to plowshares movie so the Jesus parts are kinda essential.

Even being old and gone through film school has still not made me like Last Year at Marianbad.

some classics are just not that great, even through the lens of cultural relativism. And even some greats from the 70s havent aged well. 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Even being old and gone through film school has still not made me like Last Year at Marianbad.

I don't like Last Year at Marianbad either.  One man's "avant garde," is another man's "fucking weird" and what constitutes acceptable weirdness is very selective.

I baffle the movie snobs here at work because I like Donnie Darko but I am not particularly crazy about Eraserhead.

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

I just hope I'm not the only person who put Shaft on heir list and it makes an appearance here

James

I failed you, James.

Yes, I am ashamed.

Five Deadly Venoms, Gojira, and Night Of The Living Dead made my ballot, so it is not entirely without awesomeness.

I feel like if we revisit this list in a couple of years that my ballot would be very different.. This should almost become like Sight and Sound with us, except it should be done this next time in a much quicker span than 10 years.

• Like 1

Just now, S.K.o.S. said:

I appreciate the attempts to find different posters, but that Snatch poster looks like something out of a high school graphic design class.

I wasn't a huge fan of the minimalist posters for Snatch and I am trying to stay away from the "traditional" posters

It is still better than whatever the fuck that cat one is for Scent of a Women

• Like 2