DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Poster-Great-Race-The_03

338) THE GREAT RACE (1965)

Director: Blake Edwards

100 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Matt D

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (74%)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 107 (60s)

I am so disappointed in all of you

I am disappointed in Mark and his stupid anti-list stance

I am disappointed Tim Evans didn't vote

I am disappointed in Rotten Tomatoes page for this movie not working.

Okay - that is it for the 100 point movies.

I will work on 101 later - especially when RT stops being stupid (the Great Race link doesn't work. Boy A goes to Lost Boys so something is afoot)

I love Madeline Kahn as much as the next guy and it's way more minimalist but it's a better saloon song than the one in Blazing Saddles. 

Also, you guys stink. Bringing Up Baby is the best screwball comedy of all time. If any place is full of arrested development Manic Pixie Dream Girl junkies, it's got to be this haven for dysfunctional jokers right?

On 2/7/2017 at 0:39 PM, RIPPA said:

355) REQUIEM FOR A DREAM (2000)

Director: Darren Aronofsky

97 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#25) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Hobo Joe (Honorable Mention)

#80 on my ballot. One of the bleakest movies I’ve ever seen. This is a film about addictions and the effect of them. Ellen Burstyn’s performance is super and her story strand is the most poignant. Compulsory, Academy Awards messed up giving Best Actress to Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich over Burstyn. The main theme is remarkable.

On 2/7/2017 at 3:21 PM, (BP) said:

I think Requiem touches a raw nerve that most movies about addiction don't because there's something universal there about using drugs as a tool to nurture self-delusion. Everyone has a story they tell themselves to get through each day, and as the story becomes more incongruous from reality the characters slip further away. It's not just escape; even the desperate work of scoring is preferable to confronting themselves. 

Nicely put.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

349) THE AVENGERS (2012)

Director: Joss Whedon

98 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#32) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Cyanide, WNNB

For me, this is not only the best Marvel Cinematic Universe film but one of the best comic book films there is. Amazing the film works so well bringing four separate franchises together as one collective whole, groundbreaking. Hulk ragdolling Loki is probably the most I’ve ever laughed at the cinema.

That fucking movie was called three different things on three different websites

I know Avengers Assemble in the UK and The Avengers in the USA, what's the third? I like how you used the USA name and the poster calling it Avengers Assemble.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 2:18 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

Requiem for a Dream is a big blind spot for me, I really need to get around to watching that.

On 2/7/2017 at 2:55 PM, Execproducer said:

This. It hasn't helped motivate me that all I ever read about is how depressing it is to watch. 

Requiem for a Dream is a hard watch but I'd recommend it. Got to love/hate the TV schedulers, I watched this film for the first time when it aired during the festive period of all things!

6) GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (Hotaru no haka) (1988)

Director: Isao Takahata

98 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Chaos (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JH

21 hours ago, Death From Above said:

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES is probably the best looking film that I am confident is outstanding that I can never bring myself to even consider watching because it looks soul crushing. .

Take it from me, you're correct. 

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

For me, this is not only the best Marvel Cinematic Universe film but one of the best comic book films there is. Amazing the film works so well bringing four separate franchises together as one collective whole, groundbreaking. Hulk ragdolling Loki is probably the most I’ve ever laughed at the cinema.

I think this and a certain notable other one are the only "comic book" movies on my list, with Avengers getting the nod over other Marvel fare by being THE comic book movie in my eyes. The way it captures the aesthetic and tone and visuals of a huge superhero crossover event, coupled with it somehow overdelivering even on the incredible hype and promise surrounding a four-plus year development cycle tying in multiple big budget properties, really makes it something special and a truly memorable achievement to me (even if it may not specifically be a better example of "craft" than some films I ended up ranking below it).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am so disappointed in all of you

I am disappointed in Mark and his stupid anti-list stance

I am disappointed Tim Evans didn't vote

I am disappointed in Rotten Tomatoes page for this movie not working.

Just to spell this out for people - you're posting this because of The Great Race, right?  I think Odessa was the one who picked it for the movie club?

I don't remember a whole lot about that other than it pretty much being a live action Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner cartoon.

Bringing Up Baby is great, maybe my 2nd favorite Hepburn film and fourth or fifth favorite Grant. And if I had five different board names and could have submitted five different ballots, it would have been on one of them. But with only a hundred spots to fill, painful decisions are required. As it is, I voted for three different screwballs. One that has already dropped, another which isn't likely to, and a third which, if it doesn't show, will be real grounds for claiming everyone else sucks.

I had a system that sort of failed me; Arsenic and Old Lace didn't feel like it belonged on a top 100, and I couldn't imagine putting Bringing Up Baby, Girl Friday, etc. before it, so they all got the axe. Same thing with Dark Knight not making my list, so no comic book movies at all. It wasn't a good system.