DVDVR Message Board

UFC 208: Holm vs. De Randamie (2/11/2017) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

That was a joke of a fight though and if it's an indicator of what is to come for that division it's going to take a long time to build it up to something watchable. Help us, Cris Cyborg. You're our only hope.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

They must feel pretty confident about Cyborg's challenge of the suspension since they heavily implied (or outright stated) that she would be the next challenger.

Well, Howard Jacobs feels like they do since normally they would get a straight up denial (for a retroactive TUE) instead of additional questions about Cyborg's treatment. Whether they get it or not, I dunno since that info request doesn't necessarily mean she's off scott free.

Also, it's weird that 205 had Big John and Miragliotta in the main and co-main and 208 had Todd Anderson and Yves Lavigne.

Holy fuck, Jacare fighting like the #3 guy and kicking the shit out of the #13 guy who really should've have been in the ZIP Code with him and sending the "Do not put me in the cage with bums!" message to the matchmakers.

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Give Jacare his title shot.

It's his unless Rockhold feels like he wants to fight again. I can see them trying to remake that fight again. However, they gotta get Bisping vs. Romero done first. They have main events for April, May, and June. Hopefully, they can get that in before July until Jacare isn't out to October/November.

I haven't seen the fight yet, but I guess the controversy protects Holm a wee bit - she misses the payday with Cyborg for now at least, but she's still got name value and will get the opportunity to prove herself again if she wants it. I'd suggest whupping a couple of jobbers first tho.

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

If no one else says it, I will.  Holly Holm: the one hit wonder and Buster Douglas of MMA.

I'm sorry, but this is pretty ignorant if you know anything about boxing. Buster Douglas was an accomplished fighter with wins over some of the top heayweights of his time.Granted, Tyson seemed unstoppable but was riding a hype train which is what made the odds so ridiculous (40-1) IIRC, no way should the spread have been that great.

Douglas gets laughed at because of what happened after his big moment, basically he let it go to his head and was easy picking for a warrior like Hollyfield. Holly Holm isn't a Buster Douglas, but she is a very one-dimensional limited fighter as was shown last night. To my disappointment, Germaine showed that she's not all that and a bag of chips either. She was landing much harder strikes, but couldn't put Holm away. I consider that a major disappointment. Cyborg can and will eat both of these gals for breakfast if she can get past her PED issues. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

For such an experienced boxer, de Randamie had no problem hitting Holm straight down the middle.

Well, it's orthodox vs. southpaw. The best weapon against a southpaw is a straight right hand, and that's GdR's best punch.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Holly hangs it up. Between MMA, boxing and kickboxing she's had over sixty fights, and she's starting to get hit hard, a lot and the results ain't gonna be pretty. Holly Holm is a very nice person and I for one don't wan't to see her shuffling around and talking like she has a mouthful of marbles. There isn't another championship in her future, I just don't see it, so her only course is to hang around in a gatekeeper role absorbing even more punishment or walking away, no shame in walking away, she's had an amazing career, considering her limitations.

The reason I can see Holly hanging around would simply be money. I don't know what the boxing circuit paid but I think its safe to assume her checks main eventing UFC PPVs are a whole lot more than she has ever made in her professional fighting career. Its hard to turn that down. Plus she barely lost that fight on the cards, sure Cyborg would eat her for breakfast but she can still at least hang with the other women in the division. I could see her staying to try to earn another title shot.

MMA fighters don't usually retire "early" (I realize she isn't young but 35 is pretty young to retire) for logical reasons (ie getting too beat up) and the UFC will still want her to stay, so I don't see her turning down a big fight if she is offered it. For every Rousey (potentially) there are a dozen fighters that stay years past their prime looking for one more glimpse of glory or to make that next big check, unless Holly has mentioned early retirement in past interviews I assume she'll hang around for a bit longer.

34 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Holly hangs it up. Between MMA, boxing and kickboxing she's had over sixty fights, and she's starting to get hit hard, a lot and the results ain't gonna be pretty. Holly Holm is a very nice person and I for one don't wan't to see her shuffling around and talking like she has a mouthful of marbles. There isn't another championship in her future, I just don't see it, so her only course is to hang around in a gatekeeper role absorbing even more punishment or walking away, no shame in walking away, she's had an amazing career, considering her limitations.

I don't think she should retire because she's still competitive at a high level, but I do think she should evaluate her fighting style. I know she and Winkeljohn are very close, but it's always going come down to what she didn't do. I mean last night, she was clinching Germaine against the cage when her corner was screaming bloody murder trying to get her disengage. Then, in the post-fight presser, she was down on herself and felt like she should have knocked her out. The problem when you have a boom or bust style where you can point fight and win wide on the cards or only have a few notable moments and lose a fight is you increase the chances of continuing this mediocre stretch. Yeah, I believe she can beat several fighters at BW and probably score a decent finish somewhere in there, but she needs way more consistency when it comes to big fights. I don't think that's going to come using the same style Wink helped her develop over the years. Maybe she should work with someone like Brandon Gibson for a fight or two or experiment by heading to a camp outside of ABQ for a change. Duane Ludwig isn't far from there. It's makes no sense to have an all-star cast in your corner if you're going to fight the same way everytime out.