DVDVR Message Board

UFC 208: Holm vs. De Randamie (2/11/2017) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

On 2/7/2017 at 2:44 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Holly's performance in the Shevchenko bout puts some doubt on how she can handle what Germaine brings on the feet. It's one thing to lose to a very talented kickboxer like Valentina, but to lose while having a pronounced size advantage is another. If Holly doesn't bring up offensive grappling game into the mix against GdR, her performance can be even worse than what happened last July.

That's why I like the direction female MMA for the most part is headed in right now compared to 10 years ago. You can go from Ronda and Miesha to Valentina and Germaine in a moment's notice. That wasn't something that routinely happened back when female MMA was just about popularity over depth and skill. The more female MMA moves away from everyone is merely okay at everything, the better it will be. Something like Andrade vs. Hill is proof positive of that.

Well, I don't know the tendencies of the fighters so I can't offer much especially since I am not sure what kind of Muay Thai, Germaine is working with. From that fight alone, I can see that her clinch game is nasty.

When it's boxer vs Muay Thai boxer, general rule of thumb is to kick the shit out their lead leg since it is basically asking for it, but Holm is an accomplished kickboxer and also is in traditional MMA stance so that might not be a tactic. 

17 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Well, I don't know the tendencies of the fighters so I can't offer much especially since I am not sure what kind of Muay Thai, Germaine is working with. From that fight alone, I can see that her clinch game is nasty.

When it's boxer vs Muay Thai boxer, general rule of thumb is to kick the shit out their lead leg since it is basically asking for it, but Holm is an accomplished kickboxer and also is in traditional MMA stance so that might not be a tactic. 

Secondary rule when option #1 isn't a good choice is to get inside and cut them to pieces with knees and elbows. A boxer or kickboxer likes to have room to move around, a Muay Thai fighter can fight effectively in a phone booth if they have to.

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Well my friend, I've got $20 right here that says a great gameplan doesn't mean jackshit if you can't execute it. $20 on Germaine, are we on?

I'm leaning towards picking Germaine myself since I can see her winning in more ways while I see Holm winning by Decision or hitting a lucky shot.

• Like 1

Waited years for another fighter to win a UFC Championship in two weight divisions, Conor achieved this last November (first to hold two belts at the same time), Holly Holm will become the fourth if she wins.

Randy Couture: UFC Heavyweight Champion followed by UFC Light Heavyweight Champion

BJ Penn, UFC Welterweight Champion, UFC Lightweight Champion

Conor McGregor: UFC Featherweight Championship, UFC Lightweight Championship.

Holly Holm: UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship and UFC Women's Featherweight Championship.

@The Natural:

My friend, if you look at your list I think you will quickly see: "One of these things is not like others, one of these things does not belong." And no, I'm not referring to gender.

25 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Very good fight between Poirier and Jim Miller. Poirier can't even stand up after taking all those kicks to the leg.

Between this and the show that Belal put on the narrative that leg kicks don't win fights should be ended forever.

• Like 1

That wasn't the best fight but I thought it was a great performance by Silva, all things considered. At 41, against a younger, faster and way stronger guy, I was worried this might be a blowout. He definitely lost the fight but Silva's still awesome.

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

That wasn't the best fight but I thought it was a great performance by Silva, all things considered. At 41, against a younger, faster and way stronger guy, I was worried this might be a blowout. He definitely lost the fight but Silva's still awesome.

Not so fast. Silliness but whatever.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

I have no problem with Silva getting the decision.  Brunson only has himself to blame.  

When you're fighting a legend and are heavily favored to win, you had best, by God get a submission or TKO. A split-decision performance (I had it 2/1 Silva anyway), just isn't going to cut it on the scorecards. Having a clear advantage several times and not doing anything with it is perhaps worse than never being in control at all. It makes you look like a chump.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

I think he was only +120 or something by the bookmakers. I would have had it much higher but shows what I know.

Was that all it was at the end of the day? I thought it was much more lopsided (shows a lot of people like me were betting with their hearts instead of their heads), and yes, we got lucky. Silva shouldn't have won this fight, but he did everything right that he could and Brunson did everything wrong that you can think of in order to let a victory slip away.