DVDVR Message Board

JAPAN NOMINATIONS

RIPPA

Aside from NJPW's Fantastic Four for 2016, I think Ishii is hot on their heels, and KUSHIDA deserves all the love for the junior scene.

Shibata's wearing thin but he still earns it I think.  Elgin takes a hit because of his injury prior to Power Struggle, but you can't overlook his tremendous matches with Omega and Naito, as well as a stellar G1 run; he probably also gets a bump from his indie work.  Similarly, I feel Kyle O'Reilly, Ricochet, and Ospreay also get the nod on the junior side of the house on the strength of their NJPW work, with resumes that are likely bolstered when taking ROH/PWG/UK indies/LU into account.

• Like 1

Ishii, Shibata, KUSHIDA, and (surprise) Naito from NJ

and man do I feel bad about not being able to rep anyone else. As an easy target I will just accuse Rutube being Putin's spambot for that, which lets the actual promotions (and myself for not wanting to pay for anything) off the hook. 

The Strong BJ (YES!) four seem to be perennial entrants for a good reason. Their tag match from January was insane. The Ishikawa headbutt on Sekimoto would've made Shibata blush. Sekimoto was covered by the time he bounced off the ropes.

I'd love to hear the vocal joshi crew bring up names beyond the Stardom 3 and Meiko.

What about HARASHIMA? I don't watch much DDT but every time I do, I'm pretty impressed with him. His match with Bailey was really good.

Katsuhiko Nakajima is great and his G1 Climax was terrific. I've seen a handful of his NOAH matches and he brings it every time. Is Masa Kitamiya as awesome as I think he is? I've just seen a few of his matches but he comes off like such a bad ass and somebody DVDVR would very much like. Any regular NOAH viewers around?

New Japan people I enjoy watching: Tanahashi, Okada, Naito, Omega, KUSHIDA, Kamaitachi (fuck calling him Takahashi, as Yujiro sullied that name), Ishii, Shibata, YOSHI-HASHI (went from somebody I can't stand to being a fun plucky underdog with a rad lariat), O'Reilly was mentioned in the NA thread, EVIL has gotten damn good, and Elgin. There are others but I'm already stretching it. Yano could upset somebody in the first round.

• Like 1

Big yes to Oyaji's suggestion of Strong BJ and Twin Towers, if I were to pick at it I'd say Okabayashi and Ishikawa had the standout performances of those four in the last year.

I'd like to nominate my favourite wrestler in the world - Hideki Suzuki, seriously, just watch any match he's been in with the BJW young guys, Nakanoue, that match with Obata in Zero 1 or that amazing match against Hikaru Sato from Hard Hit that nobody seems to have seen.

Wait, was that a maximum of 6 wrestlers that are considered to be stars, or only wrestlers who have been in 6 star matches? If the latter, is it a "Meltzer" scale or is it a MUTA scale?

On 2/4/2017 at 6:09 PM, El Dragon said:

What's the Joshi scene looking like these days? Is it just the Io show, or did Meiko have another year worth watching?

Both delivered along with Kairi & Mayu on a lower scale.

He had so few matches in the time period, but his perfomance in the CWC was so good that Kota Ibushi probably should stil be considered. I mean we had Lesnar and others in previous tournaments, who only had 3 or 4 matches in the time period.

Other than that, Konosuke Takeshita maybe?

Kota has 19 matches in the time period and almost all of them you are able to watch.

Finn Balor - for an example - only has like 10 matches on TV

I am going to do some sort of minimum match requirement this year but the number is gonna be around 5

What I am trying to say is that Kota is making it

• 2 weeks later...

You already have Kairi Hojo's elbow drop in the possible field, so I am good.

Someone else has already spoken up for Naito and Omega.

Has Toru Yano been in anything worth watching over the cutoff period?