DVDVR Message Board

NORTH AMERICAN INDY(IE) NOMINATION THREAD

RIPPA

Basically everything that isn't the WWE (TNA, ROH, PWG, WWN, etc...)

I know it is tempting to just say "Entire CWF Mid-Atlantic Roster" but please be specific

ELIGIBILITY TIME PERIOD: March 1, 2016 - February 28, 2017

For TNA I think Bobby Lashley, Ethan Carter II and Trevor Lee would merit inclusion.  Matt Hardy for sure.  I have a soft spot for Crazzy Steve, I like his complete commitment to stupidity on a show that was circling the drain and  rolling his face in thumbtacks and the like.  Rosemary is kind of a tough one as she didn't really wrestle all year then started late in the year and has been good since then.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Just listing some guys out here in British Columbia:

Collin Cutler

Matt XStatic

Mike Shreddz

El Phantasmo

Man, I LOVE Cutler.  Fun wrestler, good gimmick.

And I don't know if I've ever seen a wrestler who LOVES being a wrestler as much as Shreddz.  I've only seen him once or twice, but he tries to slap hands with every single person at ringside, and is the first guy out there at intermission to take photographs and meet people, and right back out there again at the end of the show.

Marty, what was the name of the guy who wrestled last fall in Kelowna with the old-style grappler gimmick (Old-style tights, glasses, oldie theme song), I cannot for the life of me remember his name!

• Like 1

Rosemary, Crazzy Steve, and yes, Abyss. We know the Hardys getting nominated, but they needed proper heels to vanquish, and they had that with Decay. Add Cherry Bomb to that for her work in Smash vs. Rosemary and making the best out of what TNA gives her.

Hanson and Rowe/Lee and Taylor. It was the one feud in ROH that I actually wanted to see more of on their syndicated show.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2017 at 1:13 PM, Lacelle said:

I'd like to nominate Jay Briscoe, Bram, Mark Briscoe, Dalton Castle, Bobby Fish & Scotty Mac

Wait, what? His promos make me want to leave the building and he's usually slumming it in multi person tags. I missed the El P cage match though. 

Definitely has the mechanics down pat. I'm just not fond of the rest of his game and definitely not his character work/promos.

El P is a good shout, though I think only the KOR and Cage matches are available online and the Cage match is the antithesis of what gets over in March Madness and on this board. Rocket Randy Tyler would probably garner more votes. :) I think Plexis may be ECCW's best talent because he's so fucking young and yet so incredibly solid. He makes his opponents look like a million bucks and his physique is an instant heat magnet because the audience members think they could beat the shit out of him. Not nominating him because of lack of footage though.

Matt Riddle and Keith Lee get my nomination. Both are must see TV every time they're in a match. Meltzer claims that Riddle has taken to wrestling faster than Kurt Angle and probably anybody in the modern era. It's hard to argue, as Kurt had a decent chunk of time in developmental. Riddle has the great character work, has tonnes of physical charisma, is so slick at incorporating the MMA style in his matches, and paces a match really well. He just had a super fun no DQ match with Chucky T in EVOLVE during Rumble weekend for crying out loud.

Chris Hero, Kyle O'Reilly, and Jeff Cobb would be worthy of spots imo. Oh, and back up the Mike Bailey pick too.

P.S. Rocket Randy Tyler should work more matches. He's fucking great.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 7:42 PM, caley said:

Marty, what was the name of the guy who wrestled last fall in Kelowna with the old-style grappler gimmick (Old-style tights, glasses, oldie theme song), I cannot for the life of me remember his name!

At one of my shows, or the bigger Vernon/Kelowna shows? I can't think of who you're referencing. Antonio Thomas?

Even while banned in the US, Mike Bailey had an outstanding year in Japan and Europe. He should definitely be in.

Chris Hero, Matt Riddle, Ricochet and Sami Callihan probably don't even need need to be mentioned. I'd definitely consider Lio Rush.

David Starr is probably one of the best American wrestlers that's never talked about on this board.