DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

52 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I'm going to make this as broad as I can because the second I get into details I see red.

My sister is suicidal. She has been doing everything she can. What is not helping is that there has been an extremely horny dude that's been hounding her for months, taking every conversation and turning it into "you know maybe I could fly out and we can get dinner and a movie and just you know cuddle and stuff." After she went public with feeling suicidal, he has been trying to leverage that information into his attempts to fuck her.

I want his head.

Jesus. I think we need to get the Beatdown Bus out of the garage for this dude. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I know a creepy flea market that sells the Moxley knife/knuckles combo. Just sayin'...

Henceforth, that particular weapon will referred by me as "The Mox".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

11 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Some of you, yes.

I did mean what I said, BLR. I can't speak for anyone else, "but I'd have a digital open door policy for any of you, even the ones I disagree with heavily about our hobbies." That "any of you" is pretty broad, and you're certainly included. 

I mean, it all gets a little more strained in March, of course, but in July, everyone's aces. 

Please know what I say or feel isn't toward you, @Matt D. But I'm reaching the point that I don't enjoy being here anymore. I don't belong. I try to make light conversation and it's meet with snark or rudeness. I ask someone how they're doing and I may as well talk to the wind.

I'm tired of the same people saying that I'm making things up. I don't feel that way, and I don't need someone who hasn't taken time to actually know me say what I feel is fake or invalid.

So many of you say that this is a community. Yet when someone like me says something's wrong, it's never taken into consideration. I thought I've been here long enough that where I have a voice that's heard. But that's not true. And I'm tired of feeling like a dope, both from others and myself.

Maybe it's just from being in the wrestling threads too much. There are some aggressive people in there, whether anyone else admits it or not. Some of us can't express what we think, IMO, and it's exhausting.

I try not to complain much because we come here for entertainment and everyone has a lot on their plates already. But I've always been of the opinion that I feel a certain way about the board, there are likely others who may not feel comfortable in saying so. And at some point, someone has to speak up.

I've never been an easy person to understand, and I don't claim otherwise. All I know is that what is, isn't anymore. 

• Sad 6

10 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Please know what I say or feel isn't toward you, @Matt D. But I'm reaching the point that I don't enjoy being here anymore. I don't belong. I try to make light conversation and it's meet with snark or rudeness. I ask someone how they're doing and I may as well talk to the wind.

I'm tired of the same people saying that I'm making things up. I don't feel that way, and I don't need someone who hasn't taken time to actually know me say what I feel is fake or invalid.

So many of you say that this is a community. Yet when someone like me says something's wrong, it's never taken into consideration. I thought I've been here long enough that where I have a voice that's heard. But that's not true. And I'm tired of feeling like a dope, both from others and myself.

Maybe it's just from being in the wrestling threads too much. There are some aggressive people in there, whether anyone else admits it or not. Some of us can't express what we think, IMO, and it's exhausting.

I try not to complain much because we come here for entertainment and everyone has a lot on their plates already. But I've always been of the opinion that I feel a certain way about the board, there are likely others who may not feel comfortable in saying so. And at some point, someone has to speak up.

I've never been an easy person to understand, and I don't claim otherwise. All I know is that what is, isn't anymore. 

I'm probably going to regret posting this, but I don't see any alternative. BLR, I think that you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice by taking the stance that your voice isn't heard. I can't speak for anyone else, but I get the feeling that DEAN!, J.T., and myself were raised  with a different standard of netiquette from lots of folk here. For example, "me too" posts were something to be avoided at all costs. A far cry from these days  where likes and dislikes are almost an automatic  part of the conversation.  There are a number of people here whom I consider friends, though we've never met in real life and due to my rather unique circumstances are probably unlikely to. However, I read whatever these people have to say whether I post a comment or not. In a lot of cases that early netiquette upbringing interjects itself and unless I feel that I have something to add to the conversation , I'm likely to remain silent. BLR: Whether you knew it or not, you're one of the people whose posts I always read , whether I comment or not, your voice is heard, (at least by me).

The wrestling threads are an interesting dynamic as some of us (and I'm NOT pointing any fingers) take IT way to damn seriously (or worse, take OURSELVES way too damn seriously), and what may be intended as a light-hearted comment comes across as dismissive or snarky. I think that there's a happy medium wherein one can be passionate about the business and one's enjoyment of it without being Jim Cornette. I can't  speak for Jim,  but we're about the same age and  I require two different medications to keep my blood-pressure in line, I sure as hell have no intention of crossing into dangerous territory over something as silly as professional wrestling. At the end of the day, it is a venue for entertainment that I enjoy, I also enjoy pinball, reading, baseball, cooking, MMA, and a whole bunch of other things that make my time spent on this here mudball more enjoyable than  not. I don't think any of us realize fully how many lives they actually touch when posting here, and maybe I'm being a Pollyanna, but I do believe that everyone here is heard whether they think so or not, (please note, I said everyone here is "HEARD", as is in listened to, not that everyone here is "HERD" as in having experience coordinating the delivery of millions of pizzas and ruining a wrestling company. Just wanted to clear that up.) ? Sweet tap-dancing Jeebus! It's nearing 4AM  and I'm scheduled to take an oxy in just over an hour on about two hours of sleep. Much hilarity is guaranteed to ensue...

Edited by OSJ

15 hours ago, Tabe said:

I was literally about to post that.  But if there was ever a time to bust it it would be for this fuckwad.  Hopefully whatever needs to get done to keep him away gets done.

@Burgundy LaRue I'm sorry you feel that way and while I can't say I fully understand your situation I had similar feelings elsewhere.  It sucks when you're feeling ignored and it's kept me from using social media as much as I used to.  But FWIW I agree with what you said about the wrestling section.  It can get pretty toxic and I try my best to ignore the bullshit.  But if it helps your posts aren't ignored at least by me.  If you're ever up for it I'm always open for chat through PM.

EDIT 2:  I just saw the recent example that you're referring to and yeah I can see how that would cause issues.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Who will be my surrogate big sister if you leave?  I'm an emotional mess right now.

Who will be around to punch me in the arm and tell me to get my shit together?

Edited by J.T.

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

In the stated of mind I have been in the last few days, I volunteer to drive the bus.

Edited by J.T.

15 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I'm going to make this as broad as I can because the second I get into details I see red.

My sister is suicidal. She has been doing everything she can. What is not helping is that there has been an extremely horny dude that's been hounding her for months, taking every conversation and turning it into "you know maybe I could fly out and we can get dinner and a movie and just you know cuddle and stuff." After she went public with feeling suicidal, he has been trying to leverage that information into his attempts to fuck her.

I want his head.

I have a machine sharpened shirasaya that you can borrow.  I won't even mind if you return it stained with blood.

Seriously though, normally I would give you the old "do what you gotta do"advice your sister needs you out of prison, brah.  She is vulnerable and you won't help her if you are an involuntary ward of the state.

You need to find a more creative means of intimidation that will keep this guy away from your sister and you out of police custody

Level with your sister and reinforce that this dude is bad news.   Also tell this guy in a not so subtle manner that he isn't welcomed around your sister.  I don't find cops to be all that helpful at times like these, but you might want to chat with them to see what your options are as far as keeping this guy away from your sis..

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

There is an element of heightened reality to the wrestling board. It's more of a joust than other places I post (and I post in selective places, this one included). I mean, sure, I don't like Seth Rollins and think he misses the boat about what's important in laying out a match, but it's not like I can't see the guy's strengths or deny that he was extremely over at times last year. And, for instance, if (young) Casey wasn't here, I'd probably harp on him 20% less, but it's part of the shtick and the banter. 

That shtick does get in the way of people being as genuine as possible at times, however. I had a big problem over on PWO when we were doing the Greatest Wrestler Ever poll (which was basically a two year project), because someone refused to accept people as being genuine and thought they were going against canon for the sake of being provocative or for their own ego's sake or for any other number of suspicious reasons. Part of why I got frustrated there was because most people on that board were starting from a place of sincerity.

Here? It's not quite the same. I joked about March, but there is definitely a gamesmanship all the time in the wrestling forum, where everyone is basically always "on," even if just 20% or 30% on. Even though that's still better than a lot of places on the internet, if you're someone trying hard to be sincere, that's going to affect you. 

All I can say about that and about this is that it's about maximizing your enjoyment. If something isn't bringing you enjoyment, don't keep banging your head against it. What I don't have a great answer for you is how you maximize your enjoyment of things if you do want to talk about wrestling more seriously, while everyone else is just trying to banter and caterwaul and survive the 7-10 hours of week of the product. I can't offer a lot of help there because I'm not as focused on the current stuff. I'm slowly working on a Dustin Rhodes retrospective. I chime in on the WWE's hidden gems or the old school thread, etc. Occasionally if I catch part of a PPV or a Raw or want to comment on an element of booking or a podcast, I do it, though usually more tongue in cheek with the new stuff. 

I'm not going to tell you not to take this seriously if you want to take it seriously. I don't think people have a lot of honest rancor for each other here as opposed to a more playful sort, but I also admit that sometimes things get way out of hand.

34 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

update: she went public with the dude's harassment and their mutuals have been on his ass like wild dogs, so I wont even have to do anything. Hopefully now the healing can actually start, now that she knows she's safe from like threats of exile/exposure or whatever.

That's really great news.  Hopefully things improve for her now that that jabroni is out of the picture.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm not going to tell you not to take this seriously if you want to take it seriously. I don't think people have a lot of honest rancor for each other here as opposed to a more playful sort, but I also admit that sometimes things get way out of hand.

By the way, have you heard my new band, Playful Rancor?

(No, it's not a Star Wars-themed band, you nerds.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

update: she went public with the dude's harassment and their mutuals have been on his ass like wild dogs, so I wont even have to do anything. Hopefully now the healing can actually start, now that she knows she's safe from like threats of exile/exposure or whatever.

I am glad it worked out this way.   Keeps me from having to spend a night in jail.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

well, turns out that still might be required.

dude went for the Cusack "Say Anything" but instead of a boombox it was a collage he made of all the times other people said nice things to her, spanning back to several months. I'm not wiling to explain what she does that he would have access to this information.

so she checked into the hospital today and is gonna be there for a while.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

dude went for the Cusack "Say Anything" but instead of a boombox it was a collage he made of all the times other people said nice things to her, spanning back to several months. I'm not wiling to explain what she does that he would have access to this information.

Oh, man. Best wishes to you and your Sister. I hope things improve ASAP xxx. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Not to make light of a serious situation, but maybe this will make someone laugh or least smile. Back during the Lana and Rusev break up angle, I thought we should have gotten a vignette of Rusev outside Lana's window holding a boombox. However, instead of "In Your Eyes", Rusev mistakenly cues up "Sledgehammer". For old times sake, Cesaro pops his head out of the neighboring window and lets out a big "HEEEEYYYY".

Lamp, I also send my best wishes to you and your sister.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

13 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Sooooo....about that Beatdown Bus.  May need to dust it off after all.  Hopefully cops get involved as it's sounding more and more like he's stalking her.  Hoping between that and her getting the help she needs things improve.

14 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

No is giving me the space to behave myself lately. Society always makes a brotha want to kill, I swear.

Like I said before, man, your sis is vulnerable right now so as much as it may suck, keep your wits about you.   Hitting this guy in the head with a wheel spider may feel good in the immediacy, but it's still assault and battery at the very least. 

There are still ways that you can be a wall, though.   Chat with hospital administration and make sure that only family gets to se your sister while she is convalescing.  If this guy shows up to see her, have the nice large men with the white coats show his punk ass the door.

Also watch any mail that goes there since this douchebag seems to enjoy using proxies and indirect means of communication.  Under no means, not even supervised, should you allow this dipshit anywhere near your sister if he is that determined to take advantage of her and is using creative means to accomplish his goal.

Edited by J.T.

If I seem a little saltier than usual lately when someone tosses an "@MORELOCK" into their post just to personally attack me, it's because that's an extremely shitty thing to do. But I also have a lot going on:

One of my closest friends appears to be developing schizophrenia. He's 29 and I've always known him to be an easy-going, friendly guy. He sent threatening texts out to several people I know the other night in reference to a conspiracy against him. His roommate told me he hung nooses in the basement in order to "catch Satan," who is "after him." He left a note at his former workplace (the restaurant I work at) stuck to the bar with a knife with a threat to my boss. He threatened to kill another close friend in front of his children. Useless police went to talk to him and determined he either isn't a danger or that they don't have any power to do anything until/unless he actually hurts somebody or goes back on the restaurant's property. A long phone conversation I had with his mother, who lives outside of Chicago, was unproductive. She seemed to be annoyed that I called expecting help, and is apparently throwing her hands up at the entire situation. I keep being told the only option is convincing a man who believes the world is out to get him and that his friends are impostors that he should check himself into a mental hospital and submit to being drugged. Only myself and the other close friend he threatened are in a position to do this. I've been told that this isn't really "on me" or my responsibility, but it's going to be really hard to convince me of that if/when my friend hurts someone or himself. I'm literally feeling guilt right now spending time typing this out instead of devoting that time to figuring out what I can do. 

• Sad 7

14 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I've got 3/4th of an acre of land that can hide a lot of sins. Just sayin', for when the Bus needs to make a pit stop.

I'm glad your sister is getting help. I hope the asshole takes a long walk in front of a fast bus.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I've got 3/4th of an acre of land that can hide a lot of sins. 

is that my cue to go and purchase three bags of Red Devil lye from Home Depot?

• Haha 2

Struggling on order of operations for vendors right now.

We have a split-level house from the 80s.

1. Our basement is finished (w/carpet) and has a door to the outside. Outside the door is a concrete slab. Over the last five years, when we get hard rains/flash floods, water pools heavily upon the slab, at least a few inches high. A few years back, it started to flood. We found a hole due to a slight crack in the foundation. We filled the hole. We resloped the landscaping and put piping underneath. We put on the waterpfoof paint. We tore out the inner walls/insulation. We had a vendor replace the carpet/put the basement back together. 

2. Our deck is the original deck from the house, was never up to code, and is visually falling apart. There are also wasps living within the wood now.

3. The water held for a couple of years but it's increased heavily over the last year and we had water come in again. We had waterproofers in and they water against the wall, onto the slab until it started to come in. From this, we figured out that it wasn't just that hole, but also where the basement door connects to the wall. There was a big gaping hole, in part due to weeds that had grown up and through. The hole was big enough that I was able to fill it with the use of some sealing foam to cover the distance of the caulk (or whatever) but it's not a great job. The waterproofers said past the hole, it's almost all a landscaping issue. The door has taken so much water damage that the wood down the bottom is warped. 

We thus need.

1. Proper landscaping, including almost certainly the slab blown up and a drain to the street put in under it. Then the slab replaced.

2. The door replaced and the hole where the door meets the wall/concrete more properly fixed.

3. Any additional waterproofing we might need at this juncture as we're not sure if it's really just the hole or if it water's coming in under the foundation, etc. (the wife thinks it's not just the hole and I'm only willing to argue so far as opposed to bring in other professionals first; she has more sense than I do on these things). Sometimes when the carpet gets wet it gets wet further away from the door. We have another appointment set up with the sump pump installing people on the 3rd. 

4. The wasps removed from the deck.

5. The deck replaced.

6. The internal wooden walls/insulation put pack together.

7. Fake wood laminate flooring put in to replace the carpet.

We're expecting to have to take a loan out for all of this together but the order of operations and what vendors might be able to do multiple things (as in, a contractor could replace the door, seal the hole, replace the deck, put the basement back together, and maybe the new slab, but not til the waterproofing, if necessary, and the landscaping is done. 

The fact of the matter is that the weather is just going to get worse and worse and worse and I'd rather put the money in now so we don't ever have to deal with this again. The other part of the problem is that with the kids/work/my 75-90 minute commute home, it's so hard to deal with any of it, even just to research vendors.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1