Gonzo

So, How's It Going?

157 posts in this topic

The life changes are already planned and in motion. Hope to find out tomorrow whether it's COPD or CHF. Regardless, it's gonna be cardio time.

Snooty the Manatee was killed in an accident at his home in the South Florida Museum yesterday. He was the oldest manatee ever, having just turned 69 a few days earlier. He was the highlight of my visits to Florida and I am just devastated right now. If you look at my longtime avatar that's him. RIP Snooty.

An update: I really am a paranoid child.  The TIGTA e-mail was about my lost ID card; since it had been several months I had forgotten they'd eventually have to investigate it, and didn't know that the alert  manifested as a complaint filing. I am still getting the cold shoulder from my teammates and not going to get picked up for a longer detail, but at least I know now that nobody was out to fuck me over.  I feel really, really stupid for getting so worked up now.

I went to go to bed and a wolf spider was chilling on the door frame of my bedroom. I know they are the type of spider that is good to have around so its better to try to catch/release, but he was too fast and I knew I couldn't sleep in my room if I knew he was in there too. So he had to die, which I feel somewhat bad about since I try not to kill useful creatures. Course now I am still paranoid. I don't like bugs or spiders, especially massive ones. First one I've ever seen and hopefully the last.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I went to go to bed and a wolf spider was chilling on the door frame of my bedroom. I know they are the type of spider that is good to have around so its better to try to catch/release, but he was too fast and I knew I couldn't sleep in my room if I knew he was in there too. So he had to die, which I feel somewhat bad about since I try not to kill useful creatures. Course now I am still paranoid. I don't like bugs or spiders, especially massive ones. First one I've ever seen and hopefully the last.

I made the decision a couple of years ago to not kill spiders if I find them in my apartment, after I read about how many nasty things they can eat in a year. Very good creatures to have around. 

But the other morning, I had to break my promise. There was a little one on the wall in the bathroom, right next to the toilet. I had to go really bad, and I knew I wouldn't be comfortable knowing it was there. So sadly, it got squished. 

11 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I made the decision a couple of years ago to not kill spiders if I find them in my apartment, after I read about how many nasty things they can eat in a year. Very good creatures to have around. 

But the other morning, I had to break my promise. There was a little one on the wall in the bathroom, right next to the toilet. I had to go really bad, and I knew I wouldn't be comfortable knowing it was there. So sadly, it got squished. 

That's the issue with wolf spiders, they don't make webs so either they are going to creep around your home and startle you since they are quite big, or you have to catch them which is hard since they are fast. I let spiders live if they set up a web somewhere in a corner, which my mom hates because she thinks it is weird but I'd rather they catch flies and shit than be dead.

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

That's the issue with wolf spiders, they don't make webs so either they are going to creep around your home and startle you since they are quite big, or you have to catch them which is hard since they are fast. I let spiders live if they set up a web somewhere in a corner, which my mom hates because she thinks it is weird but I'd rather they catch flies and shit than be dead.

Fortunately, the bulk of "my" spiders are quite reasonably sized. I did have to catch and release one largish one in the tub one day. Used the card and glass method I had always heard of, and it worked a treat. Put that big fella outside the front door, and he went on his merry way. (And I was able to take my shower.)