DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, we're here at Ft. Lee in furlough mode.  We have to stay at the office until noonish should the bums upstairs kill the shutdown today.

I heard our govt civilians have to go in this am, get their furlough paperwork and then go home. 

I left the office Sat at 0030 when they closed my building. 

Due to holidays, vacation, weather and now bureaucracy, I have worked 2-1/2 days since Dec 23.

40 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I heard our govt civilians have to go in this am, get their furlough paperwork and then go home.

4th ID is having a command post exercise soon, so we have to give a good hand-off to the green suits and the contractors just in case this thing lasts longer than it should.

The way it looks now, we'll just get the afternoon off and then be back to work tomorrow if the Senate doesn't do anything dumb today.

The annoying thing is that we can't pad our furlough hours by using our leave.

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

We haven’t been told how to do our time yet. When I talked to one of my bosses over the weekend, we couldn’t remember how they handled it last time. 

Well, we're back on the job. 

Part of me was like "I could use an XB1 day after sleeping off a migraine most of yesterday evening," while the other half was., "We've got 4th ID to train in five days..  We need to get back to work.".

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was expecting the week off. Thankfully, it’s my short week, so only working Tuesday and Wednesday .

We run a lot of 24hr ops when units are training.  No RDOs or flex scheduling in my current line of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 1-year-old terrier mix came down wrong on the bottom of our steps and broke her leg last night. She's in a brace right now, but she's going to need a plate in the leg to maintain circulation. We're looking at a $5,000 bill out of nowhere. When we asked about potential cheaper alternatives, the vet politely said the alternative was amputation. Ugh.

• Sad 1

Our fridge died for real this week.  We bought a new one but it can't be delivered until the 14th so I guess we just go without until then.

I'm not too sad about the loss of the fridge but I am pretty hacked off about having to throw away a bunch of food again.

• Sad 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, Zimbra said:

Our fridge died for real this week.  We bought a new one but it can't be delivered until the 14th so I guess we just go without until then.

I'm not too sad about the loss of the fridge but I am pretty hacked off about having to throw away a bunch of food again.

Is spoilage covered under your homeowner's insurance?  We filed a claim after Maria fucked up our freezer and got a respectable settlement.

Do some checking and see if something other than wear and tear killed your fridge and then see if you can file a claim.

• 1 month later...

Well, fuck.  My journey through the magical world of having a loved one suffering with Levy body Dementia continues to worsen.

My father had a psychotic episode over the weekend.  My brother had to physically restrain him until the police arrived.  I welcomed him to the club since Pop nearly stabbed me with a fork last Thursday and I had to grapple with him while my sister called 911. 

I did not expect to have to showcase my Blue Belt BJJ skills against my own father.

Dad's in the hospital now and he is a bit more lucid, but he can be very combative so he's restrained most of the time and is under orderly supervision when he has to use the toilet or just wants to sit up and feed himself . 

The doctors seem to think that he's suffering from side effects to his medication.  I wish they'd get their shit straight.  I've advised my mom to keep notes about all of these issues my dad is having with medication just in case it's misdiagnosis that's the problem and she needs to fucking sue.

My mom has met with counselors and lawyers and as traumatic as these experiences are, they do keep my father's condition in the front of her mind and put her on notice that she needs to continue to make preps necessary to make sure she's squared away and can provide care for my father without going to the poor house.

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear that JT. My father has mental health issues as well, although he also has a number of physical ailments so I've never had to worry about having to physically restrain him. There's always some new calamity involving his medicines interacting, and he's also prone to not taking them at all when he's in the middle of an episode (even the ones keeping him alive.) I hope your Dad continues to get the care he needs and things get easier for your family. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Sorry to hear that JT. My father has mental health issues as well, although he also has a number of physical ailments so I've never had to worry about having to physically restrain him. There's always some new calamity involving his medicines interacting, and he's also prone to not taking them at all when he's in the middle of an episode (even the ones keeping him alive.) I hope your Dad continues to get the care he needs and things get easier for your family. 

Thanks, man.  I really appreciate everyone's well wishes, prayers, and spiritual support.

I now know more about Levy body Dementia than I'd like to.

Here's a good lifehack: if you see a person in public who is disabled or using an assistive device in public, try minding your own fucking business instead of trying to delve into their whole medical history.

Also, if you touch someone else's wheelchair without explicit permission, you're getting hands put on you.

I am baffled by how often this shit happens.

• Like 5

I used to work with children with disabilities, and one of the first things they told me was "Always ask someone in a wheelchair if they would like your help pushing them. Never assume". Then, as training, they put us in wheelchairs with a blindfold on, and had someone randomly come up and just start pushing. That was a helpless feeling.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

I've advised my mom to keep notes about all of these issues my dad is having with medication just in case it's misdiagnosis that's the problem and she needs to fucking sue.

My mom had to deal with several years worth of major health issues with my father before he passed away.  She kept track of every single medication and dosage he was ever given in a spreadsheet that she had access to on every device.  More times than we could possibly count, doctors ignored what she had told them about negative reactions or dosage amounts or just flat out gave him the wrong stuff.  He was a big dude before he started shrinking and they'd see this 6'3" 250lb guy and give him dosages for his size even after my mom would tell them he was super-sensitive to medications and to "dose him like a kindergartener".  And so on.

Emphasize with your mom to be on top of that stuff!

You've absolutely got to track everything that's taken, especially in cases where you're seeing a bunch of different doctors at the same time.  My father spent the first 2 months of this year in the hospital with bacterial meningitis (due to a doctor's surgical fuckup) and meds always seemed to be the biggest problem.  If you've got a doctor you can trust to oversee the overall care, then have them watch everything you're taking, but even then you've gotta check it yourself.  We caught one mistake when he got sent home with a prescription of 50 mg instead of 15 because a doctor dictated it to somebody and then didn't check the result.  We also had a neurologist decide to increase a medication dose, to resolve symptoms that weren't there, when the right thing to do was to reduce it.  That led to this fun little exchange:

guy in jeans and a T-shirt:  I really think they're overmedicating him here

skeptical nurse:  and you would be?

guy in jeans and a T-shirt:  chief of neurosurgery for this hospital

• Like 2

I started doing this for Mom a couple of years ago, when her physical strength really went downhill. I fill all her meds, I have a file with all her info, the dosages, what happens with different dosages, the supplements I force into her to help with some of the side effects, her allergies (that no-one wants to remember because then they'd actually have to consider different meds then the ones the drug reps are pushing), and so on. If I had a decent scale I'd start adding weekly weights, simply because she is (STILL) in denial about how bad her intestinal issues are treating her.

They raised us so we could care for them. That's love.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

They raised us so we could care for them. That's love.

True.

Of course, we also (as a society) spend a lot of money training and paying people who should be keeping track of this stuff. You shouldn't have to do it yourself.

• Like 2

I celebrated 6 months alcohol free last week, which is the longest stretch of time I've had without drinking in the past 10 years.  

I have a different outlook on my sobriety, as I don't want to abstain from drinking for the rest of my time on this earth, but I fully understand that right now and for the foreseeable future, I can't handle it or the responsibility of it, so I have gone the teetotal route.  I've been flourishing personally and professionally without it, so I'm glad I know I can't handle it 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1