DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

15 hours ago, JLSigman said:

One of the many reasons I go by my initials to this day. I hope your friend is safe.

Update on Mom: Had an MRI this morning due to memory and balance issues. According to her, the technician would not confirm she had a brain, just said, "you'll hear from your doctor." Now starts the waiting. If we go by her (and my) history, the doctor will say there's nothing wrong. :-p

Best wishes xxx

On 12/5/2017 at 7:30 AM, JLSigman said:

One of the many reasons I go by my initials to this day. I hope your friend is safe.

Update on Mom: Had an MRI this morning due to memory and balance issues. According to her, the technician would not confirm she had a brain, just said, "you'll hear from your doctor." Now starts the waiting. If we go by her (and my) history, the doctor will say there's nothing wrong. :-p

Here's hoping that all is well JL.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:33 AM, MarcosLoura said:

I'm trying to get my mom to watch Bojack Horseman. I'm 30, she's 60. Am I weird?

Are you kidding? I pushed the Total Rickall ep of Rick & Morty on my mother and stepfather. It...went as expected. Still don't regret it. Bojack is almost tame in comparison.

Dec. 2 was the four-year anniversary of the first date with the woman I had spent the past four years with. That first date, and the ensuing first year together, was an amazing time in my life. Magical, too be honest.

Dec. 3, I finished packing up the last of her stuff that was in my house (some final Christmas ornaments), and dropped it off at her work. After begging her for six months to move in with me (we'd lived together in 2014-15 before our first breakup due to the stress of my mom dying and her daughter being a POS), we broke up on September 9...and less than six weeks later she had a new boyfriend that she was living with. In the final stuff I found of hers, was the last Christmas card my mother wrote to me in 2014...to both of us, saying how happy she was to see me finally happy (after my ugly divorce), and how much my happiness with this new love was so important to her.

I had to throw the card out. I couldn't keep it, to be reminded of the dreadful lows that  made up too much of the past four years of my life with this toxic woman. A toxicity I don't believe--right now, even after three months apart--I can get out from under.

• Sad 5

21 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Dec. 2 was the four-year anniversary of the first date with the woman I had spent the past four years with. That first date, and the ensuing first year together, was an amazing time in my life. Magical, too be honest.

Dec. 3, I finished packing up the last of her stuff that was in my house (some final Christmas ornaments), and dropped it off at her work. After begging her for six months to move in with me (we'd lived together in 2014-15 before our first breakup due to the stress of my mom dying and her daughter being a POS), we broke up on September 9...and less than six weeks later she had a new boyfriend that she was living with. In the final stuff I found of hers, was the last Christmas card my mother wrote to me in 2014...to both of us, saying how happy she was to see me finally happy (after my ugly divorce), and how much my happiness with this new love was so important to her.

I had to throw the card out. I couldn't keep it, to be reminded of the dreadful lows that  made up too much of the past four years of my life with this toxic woman. A toxicity I don't believe--right now, even after three months apart--I can get out from under.

It takes a bit but it will go away. I was with a mentally and physically abusive woman for 6 years. Took me right at 20 years to get over all the shit she put me through. Wasn't until she died that I managed to move past all of it

I wish you luck sir. 

• Like 1

Cancer of all types can go fuck right off, right off.  Spend the last 45 days watching stomach cancer ravage my dog, taking him from 79 pounds down to 52 before he lost the fight.  Had to say goodbye to him today, only 5 years old, had him for the whole 5 years.

• Sad 7

My aunt has a very invasive and aggressive form of Leukemia and her only shot now is a bone marrow transplant from a perfect donor in late January. She's had a bunch of blood transfusions to keep fighting it off and been on more types of chemo than I was aware existed the last few months. The kicker is this was most likely caused by chemo treatments in the past to fight off other cancers she's had 4 different times.

Breast cancer 3 times and thyroid once. She's only got roughly a 30% chance of this succeeding and she bluntly stated it was this or hospice care. This could actually kill her even faster too, it's such a high risk. There are not other options, they've exhausted them all. I'm told my uncle looks like he's aged about a decade in 2 months. I can't help but feel for her daughters(one has many mental health problems far worse than anyone here could imagine and the other has 3 very young children that won't understand what's going on for a long time.)

I'm not a religious or spiritual person, but all I can do is hope the odds fall in her favor because too many in my family have had cancer in my life. Mostly not biologically related and most have beaten it, but it's depressing none the less. They've got money and the best doctors in the midwest in theory, so that's all I can go on is hope. The fact it's emotionally draining to hear about it is one thing, but her immediate family I can't even fathom. She's only 63. Which sounds old, but not when you know my family's propensity for advanced age among my closest blood relatives, which she is not one of, but that doesn't matter.

Sigh. That's enough venting. All I can do is wait.

430943_1.jpg

• Sad 5

Man, I know this doesn't really compare to a lot of things recently posted that a lot of you have gone through, but here's mine. Be forwarned, it's pretty gross and graphic involving an injury to my pet dog.

11 years ago, I rescued a little doggy, whom I named Gerty, from my abusive next-door neighbors (that whole saga is a story in itself). 5 years ago, my now wife and I got another dog, a 6 week old boxer puppy, Rita. So Rita has literally grown up alongside Gerty. They have had their ups and downs over the years, but have been mostly playful buddies. Gerty would get annoyed with the younger puppy trying to play with her, but nothing out of the ordinary. About 6-8 months ago, Rita has decided she now wants to be the matriarch dog and has started attacking Gerty occasionally. Some have been small scraps, some have been bloody. Well, last week, an attack happened again leaving Gerty with a puncture wound on the top of her head and under her chin.

After two days, the puncture wounds seemed to be healing, but Gerty's face started to swell up. I thought maybe it was a black eye or something along those lines and waited to see if the swelling would go down. Gerty was not so patient and she eventually scratched an open wound on the top of her head trying to deal with this swelling. I took her to a local vet who looked at her and the open wound and the puncture wounds and said the swelling was an abscess and not to worry about it at all. He gave me some anti-biotics and sent me on my way after telling me to clean the wounds with a warm washcloth when I got home. When I got home and attempted to wash the wounds, the fluid that was built up in the abscess squirted out the top of the open wound on her head. Yeah. That was fun. But I did my best to clean the wounds, despite the leaking face fluids, and was just going to let everything try to heal on it's own while administering her the anti-biotics I was given.

Now, I don't know why the previous vet did not give me a "cone of shame", nor why I didn't ask for one. I guess I assumed when he said not to worry and to just give the anti-biotics that he knew what he was talking about and I didn't have to worry about anything else. Either way, we're far past that point now. After another day, Gerty again was not being patient with the healing process and scratched an even bigger hole in the side of her face. In fact, all the skin on the left side of her face had died without the fluid in the abscess there, and she basically pulled that skin right off. I take her to an animal hospital and they confirm that the skin on her face has died and she needed to have it all cut off and replaced. She will need to have the skin from her neck pulled up and grafted up on to her face. And that's where I am now. 

The skin grafting will happen either tomorrow or possible Tuesday, depending on how her face is healing after the weekend. Here's what she currently looks like, which I'm going to attempt to put under a spoiler tag because it is quite graphic and some may not want to see it:

cQvebms.jpg

The kicker with this is that the hospital I took her to does not allow payment plans, so we will have to pay the full bill when we pick her up, and that will be in the $1000-$1200 range. Horrible timing, as we recently declared bankruptcy (thus no credit cards to pay with) and have been somewhat living check-to-check while we get caught back up. Not to mention it being Christmas and us still trying to give our kids a decent Christmas this year. I'm not expecting anything from anybody here, except perhaps some sympathy, but I did set up a GoFundMe and we have been able to get just over half of the bills covered already from friends and family donations. Again, no expectations, but if you want to see more of the story and maybe a few other pictures, you can check out the GoFundMe page at https://www.gofundme.com/gertys-medical-bills

I really don't know if solicitations of this sort are allowed on the board. If not, just remove all this stuff after the spoilers and leave it be. But if so, please check it out. Thanks. 

• Sad 3

On 12/9/2017 at 9:28 PM, Raziel403 said:

Cancer of all types can go fuck right off, right off.  Spend the last 45 days watching stomach cancer ravage my dog, taking him from 79 pounds down to 52 before he lost the fight.  Had to say goodbye to him today, only 5 years old, had him for the whole 5 years.

Very sorry,  @Raziel403. Pets aren't pets, pets are family who show unconditional love. Fuck, pets can be better than the family you have in cases. I'm fortunate to have a great Mum, Dad, Sister and Uncle. That's it to be frank. Good luck for Gerty's surgery, @MonteCarl.

Sorry to hear about your aunt, @Ryan. Thoughts be with you. Said it before here and forever will, fuck cancer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Pipe bomb in the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC.   

I'm fine.  Fuck that guy. 

Holy shit, dude!  Were you near the blast?

Ft. Lee is on Amber because of that shit.  So much for going off post for lunch today.

And it's official. My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  I'm really fucking bummed right now.

• Sad 6

Sorry about your old man.  

I was about to leave home to head to work when it happened.  42nd/Port Authority is 1 subway stop from my job.  You can see cops up and down 8th Ave.   

Like I said on Facebook, now that we know no one is dead, it's interesting to note the faces of New Yorkers aren't fearful, they're annoyed.  (The tourists on the other hand...)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Holy shit, dude!  Were you near the blast?

Ft. Lee is on Amber because of that shit.  So much for going off post for lunch today.

And it's official. My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  I'm really fucking bummed right now.

Sorry to hear about your dad. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sorry about your old man.  

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Sorry to hear about your dad. 

Thanks, my brothas..

I am not so much bummed about him getting old because it happens to everyone but this was the man that taught me how to fire a pistol and throw a proper punch amongst other important survival skills, and I can tell that his pride is still twentysomething years old while his body and mental clarity are both eightysomething. 

My pops is frustrated about not being able to impose his will on his age and It's hard to watch that play out. :(

The Saga of Keaton Jones has had more ups and downs than a fucking roller coaster.  That kid may or may not have been bullied, I don't know, but the Internet Detective Agency is finding all of his family's dirty ass laundry.  I feel bad for that kid, if not for being bullied then for having a mom crazy enough to make me believe that she may have orchestrated this entire ordeal to exploit him.   

18 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

If it's a set-up or not, it feels weird and kinda gross that our collective reaction to a kid getting bullied is to throw money at the problem.

That is the thing that I think made people look into it deeper.  What is money going to do to help him with bullying?  

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, (BP) said:

b6d.png

I am dismayed that there is no actual Milkshake Duck. Why do they play with my emotions?