DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

2 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Bloodwork came in and wheeeeeeeeeeee type 2 diabetes is in full swing, fucked up kidneys and all!

They gave me meds to deal with blood pressure (and to treat the kidneys), plus a vitamin D supplement (for different reasons). I really don’t want to have to give up tasty things, Goddammit.

Welcome to the club. Depending on age you don't have to give up tasty things so much as moderate them better. I'd tell you exercise and weight loss are the best ways to go (and they absolutely are), but I'm still too damn lazy to do them proper and have been for around 14 years now. Still I've had generally decent control with meds and ok moderation.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Welcome to the club. Depending on age you don't have to give up tasty things so much as moderate them better. I'd tell you exercise and weight loss are the best ways to go (and they absolutely are), but I'm still too damn lazy to do them proper and have been for around 14 years now. Still I've had generally decent control with meds and ok moderation.

I’m 34 and they said my hemoglobin is like 9. I’m trying not to get on insulin if I can help it.

I took my wife out to dinner for our anniversary and I was probably the first person in that restaurant’s history to actually order mixed vegetables as a side.

19 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

I’m 34 and they said my hemoglobin is like 9. I’m trying not to get on insulin if I can help it.

I took my wife out to dinner for our anniversary and I was probably the first person in that restaurant’s history to actually order mixed vegetables as a side.

Understandable. I did have a small patch where I got too lazy and was off meds. Haven't been able to leave the insulin yet sadly since getting back on the meds (I just turned 32 today). 

Edited by Eivion

My grandmother passed away tonight. I've never been in the room with someone as they go but tonight it was my mom, my dad and my grandfather. I'm oddly at peace with it right now because she wasn't herself the last year and a half. My real worry is my grandfather. I'm not super close with my parents due to a lot of issues so I was filled in on a lot tonight and someone got my grandfather on the phone recently and scammed him into buying him jewelry and sending him money. I guess somehow the postmaster general got involved and was investigating my grandfather for potential crimes involving the mail service? Either way, they returned the packages to the house, my aunt and my dad found out what was going on and managed to return all the jewelry and stuff as well as cancel the loans the guy had convinced him to take out. Now he has a new phone from my aunt that's filled with software so she can monitor him at all times. It's scary what old age will do to you. 

Also have to say, the gentleman from the funeral home who came to pick up my grandmother was a true professional. 11 PM and he is dressed in a full suit and was so nice in explaining everything to us. I know it's their job but still, it was really needed and helpful after the day we had. 

• Sad 4

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad it was peaceful. 

I sympathize with your aunt, I had to close one of Mom's bank accounts after she ran herself over $800 in the red buy Kindle books from Amazon. I now do all the money and scheduling. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 6:54 AM, JLSigman said:

Hey @OSJ - If you can split them in half, do so. I have to do that with Mom's muscle relaxants all the time. You've got a good head on your shoulders and kittens to snuggle. ? 

This is such a logical procedure that I feel very stupid for not thinking of it. As it is, I slipped last night and everything except Humpty-Dumpty came down hard. I know that I cracked my sternum and a couple of ribs . My left knee, never good in the best of times is at the worst that I can remember it being, so we're alternating between the double-doses and the regular ones. The only difference that I've noticed is a propensity to fall asleep at my desk, but as I do that all the time anyway, I 'm not how much I can blame on oxy and how much on shitty sleeping habits,  anyway, as NGE said, I don't really get the appeal, seems like a combo of booze and coke (which I liked just fine, but I  vastly preferred it on my own terms where you could be sure to get as much as you liked, and I liked a LOT. ? Pills always seemed waaaay toooo much or just not enough. Anyway, got the living room about 1 3/rd done now and considering my nephew's seeming inability to follow the simplest of labeling  instructions, it's probably just as well that he's a Republican. ? Dude's as  strong as an ox and nearly as smart...

• Sad 1

On 9/6/2019 at 1:38 AM, bobholly138 said:

Well after the shitstorm that was AUgust and early September just got good news. My youngest son is being offered the chance to skip 9th grade.  Talked it over with his mother and we decided it is his choice. 

That is an appropriate to skip a grade, (actually anything  post Grade-5, younger than that one is just too small to keep up physically. I skipped 2nd after the IQ Tests started coming back in the 150s-160s. Since my birthday is in July, I was small for my grade anyway, couple that with being the smartest guy in the room, but not smart enough to hide  it and you have the makings of a very unpleasant childhood. That said, if at all possible, new school = new friends and I hate to say this, but advise the kid to lie about his age by a factor of one year. Otherwise he will be perceived as being different and at that age it's the last thing one wants. Whenever there's a school shooting my wife usually blurts out, "How can someone do something like that?"  My only response considering our gun laws and school system is one of surprise that it doesn't occur more often...

It depends on the school system, but having a senior now, I'd be very wary to have a kid skip 9th grade relative to 5th or 7th or 8th or 10th. This is presuming middle school is 6-7-8 and high school is 9-10-11-12. Whenever there's the entering of a new school, all the kids are on an equal footing and there's a chance to reshuffle one's social setting, etc. It's basically a new chance with new clubs, a different style of class and day, to basically learn new systems, both educational and social. To lose that transition year could be detrimental. That said, obviously @bobholly138 knows his kid and family/school situation. Sometimes getting away from that old stultified classmate social structure (That might have been locked in from early in middle school on) is worth it, not to mention having more challenging subjects, etc.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

That is an appropriate to skip a grade, (actually anything  post Grade-5, younger than that one is just too small to keep up physically. I skipped 2nd after the IQ Tests started coming back in the 150s-160s. Since my birthday is in July, I was small for my grade anyway, couple that with being the smartest guy in the room, but not smart enough to hide  it and you have the makings of a very unpleasant childhood. That said, if at all possible, new school = new friends and I hate to say this, but advise the kid to lie about his age by a factor of one year. Otherwise he will be perceived as being different and at that age it's the last thing one wants. Whenever there's a school shooting my wife usually blurts out, "How can someone do something like that?"  My only response considering our gun laws and school system is one of surprise that it doesn't occur more often...

See my birthday is in July and I skipped second grade. But I was also the tallest kid in school most of my time in school,I was 6 foot tall at 13. 

My son thought it over and decided to not skip the grade. Mostly cause he wants to still be with his friends his age. This is why we left it up to him to decide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

It depends on the school system, but having a senior now, I'd be very wary to have a kid skip 9th grade relative to 5th or 7th or 8th or 10th. This is presuming middle school is 6-7-8 and high school is 9-10-11-12. Whenever there's the entering of a new school, all the kids are on an equal footing and there's a chance to reshuffle one's social setting, etc. It's basically a new chance with new clubs, a different style of class and day, to basically learn new systems, both educational and social. To lose that transition year could be detrimental. That said, obviously @bobholly138 knows his kid and family/school situation. Sometimes getting away from that old stultified classmate social structure (That might have been locked in from early in middle school on) is worth it, not to mention having more challenging subjects, etc.

The schools where he is are divided up k thru 6th,7thru 9th ,then high school is 10th thru 12th.  He as I said decided to not skip a grade. He has lots of friends in his class and didn't want to not see them as often.

Very proud of the kid. He hasn't had the easiest childhood. But keeps doing his best and making me so damn proud.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobholly138 said:

See my birthday is in July and I skipped second grade. But I was also the tallest kid in school most of my time in school,I was 6 foot tall at 13. 

My son thought it over and decided to not skip the grade. Mostly cause he wants to still be with his friends his age. This is why we left it up to him to decide.

As long as he's not bored to tears with the curriculum (which was my major problem) I also didn't get my growth spurt until my junior year in high school when I went from  like 5 '3 and 155 lbs to 5 '11 and 240 lbs. I'm not the biggest guy in the bar,  nor do I claim to be a baddass, but I look as though I might well be , and those out for a night if experimentation  will generally find something else to do...

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

As long as he's not bored to tears with the curriculum (which was my major problem) I also didn't get my growth spurt until my junior year in high school when I went from  like 5 '3 and 155 lbs to 5 '11 and 240 lbs. I'm not the biggest guy in the bar,  nor do I claim to be a baddass, but I look as though I might well be , and those out for a night if experimentation  will generally find something else to do...

He thankfully isn't bored at school. I know I was from when I started until I was finished.

My youngest got his height from me. He is 5'10 right now. 

My poor grandpa. He's 93 years old. In the past 4 years he has buried both his wife and one of his sons (my dad). He's been battling Parkinson's for years and now his gall bladder is shot. It needs to come out but doctors won't do the surgery because it's highly likely he won't survive it. So they have a tube in him to drain the bile, and at first it wasn't put in correctly so it got infected. This is a man who was always very active (travelling, working in his woodshop) even well into his 80s and now he's confined to a hospital bed. I know the poor guy is absolutely miserable and wants to die (and I don't blame him), but he's Harley Race tough so his body just keeps hanging on. 

• Sad 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I may be having surgery next month.

... but a good surgery. Well good for me anyway. I'm sure y'all can read between the lines here, right?

So the past few weeks my father has been having a little breathing trouble, getting out of breath from simple walks form the car to his room, being tired quickly from random simple stuff he was doing, etc. He has been seeing doctors the past week or two, running tests. My youngest sister forced him to finally let her check on his tests results only to discover from past ones that he has been hiding from us that he likely has had chronic kidney disease for around a year now. Kind of pissed off at him now since its likely only gotten worse which is why the somewhat ass of a doctor he has has been way more concerned recently. 

I'll never understand the mentality people have of hiding health related things/not doing anything about them because they don't want to worry someone else. That sort of stuff does not go away on its own, and you're gonna cause those same people a lot more anxiety if you drop dead on them and they didn't even know you were sick.  My mom is the same way. I hope your dad gets it treated and feels better soon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'll never understand the mentality people have of hiding health related things/not doing anything about them because they don't want to worry someone else. That sort of stuff does not go away on its own, and you're gonna cause those same people a lot more anxiety if you drop dead on them and they didn't even know you were sick.  My mom is the same way. I hope your dad gets it treated and feels better soon. 

I am having this exact fight with my Mom right now. Her red blood count has dropped a couple points in the last year, and she doesn't believe it. Refuses to admit it might be happening. Doesn't want to see the gastroenterologist. Meanwhile she's getting more tired and weak, but it's because she's old, not because there's something going on, because she's fine, look, her palms aren't white, they're doing the tests wrong ---

• Sad 3

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, BrianS81177 said:

I'll never understand the mentality people have of hiding health related things/not doing anything about them because they don't want to worry someone else. 

Old school people are all about shouldering their own burdens.  They're used to being depended on; not being dependent on someone else.

The problem with not wanting other people to worry about you is that you forget to worry about yourself and that's how these mystery ailments show up "by surprise." 

I'm just now finding out about my mom's torn rotator cuff because she neglected to tell me about a fall she took while out shopping at the mall....... like five or six weeks ago.

My mom is old and set in her ways and is as stubborn as a fucking mule.  Now I know where I got it from.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is it exactly. When we were talking to my dad about his illness he even mentioned half jokingly how it was his job to worry about us and not the other way around. He knows better to some degree, but its a mentality that is hard for him fight since he has had it for decades.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Speaking only for myself, I often say nothing because either someone will think I'm overselling or I assume they don't care in the first place.

I know that's not what you're talking about in your post. But I wanted to give a different perspective.

Sick as hell this week, worn out, don't feel like doing much of anything.  Probably due for some downtime after running myself ragged this past week.  Went out and got the nuclear option (NyQuil) to help me sleep.

P.S. I want to be a wrestling fan, but I may NEED to give it up. For my own sanity.

45 minutes ago, PB-13 said:

Sick as hell this week, worn out, don't feel like doing much of anything.  Probably due for some downtime after running myself ragged this past week.  Went out and got the nuclear option (NyQuil) to help me sleep.

P.S. I want to be a wrestling fan, but I may NEED to give it up. For my own sanity.

I wouldn't give up while you're sick. Catching up on wrestling is perfect for sick days. I'm getting caught up on the most recent New Japan shows and I need to watch MLW War Chamber. I'm usually so spent after work I don't feel like watching much besides the Yankees and Seinfeld.

My aunt is stuck at work as well because of flooding. My area seems to be fine right now. I'm still at my sister's house, and she managed to avoid any damage from Harvey so I doubt I will have any worries of that degree. I worry more about her and my older brother being able to make it back from their jobs.

Got my father in the hospital Tuesday night so I at least don't have to worry about him aside from the current issues with his kidneys. Apparently the level he fell to from where he was is abnormal so it may not be the chronic kidney disease that has made things this bad though it looks like he will have to take dialysis anyways due to whatever caused the functions to drop so much.

Edited by Eivion
  • Sad 1