DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

On 3/31/2019 at 5:27 PM, J.T. said:

We all love you, man.  You are the best dude.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:27 PM, OSJ said:

Stay strong, mate. Anytime you need a friendly ear (virtual), PM me. I may not have any useful advice, but I am a reasonably good listener.

Thank you very much and to those who liked these posts.

I had depression/mental health issues leading up to Mum's passing and ever since but things have taken that turn downhill. I'm trying to beat the darkness. Arguments between my Dad and Sister don't help either.

I enjoy spending time on the board and how posters look out and support one another. Respect.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thank you very much and to those who liked these posts.

I had depression/mental health issues leading up to Mum's passing and ever since but things have taken that turn downhill. I'm trying to beat the darkness. Arguments between my Dad and Sister don't help either.

I enjoy spending time on the board and how posters look out and support one another. Respect.

Much respect to you, too, man.  Hang in and keep doing your thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing like interviewing for a job that you were more or less told that you'd get, and then getting an email that you weren't getting it. Even worse, is applying again nine months later, and once again being told that you're a shoe in, and then getting the same email.  Fool me once........

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Went to the doctors finding I've bronchitis. That with my asthma and CP is making me feel rough. Last time I had bronchitis, it took a while to get rid.

Take care of yourself, my friend. Bronchitis is no fun. Dr. OSJ prescribes rest and NXT UK in copious amounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, Mike Campbell said:

Nothing like interviewing for a job that you were more or less told that you'd get, and then getting an email that you weren't getting it. Even worse, is applying again nine months later, and once again being told that you're a shoe in, and then getting the same email.  Fool me once........

Classic NM bullshit of telling people what you think they want to hear instead of being straight up about things. A decade here and I'm still not used to it. Raised in Seattle among blunt-spoken Scandinavians, I'm used to telling people the truth whether they like it or not. If you're worried about what my answers might be, best not to ask the questions. Case in point, in 2015 I was contacted by this guy who was going to open his own recruiting company and had vetted me pretty thoroughly before making contact. He was getting his funding "any day now" and wanted to be sure that I was on board to run his first branch office in Albuquerque (he was based in Denver). I got this song and dance about his financing every three to five weeks for about two years before I stopped answering his phone calls, I'm sure that he meant well in the beginning, but in true Mtn West fashion he just couldn't bring himself to admit that there was no money, no company, and that the whole thing was just becoming a pipe-dream. How fucking hard is it to say "Financing didn't come through, the whole deal is off!"? 

I've found that one good way to cut through the BS is that anytime something is promised, get it in writing. If the other party isn't willing to put whatever it is (a job, a sale, what-have-you) in writing they are just blowing smoke up your ass. The "put it in writing" or asking for a "letter of understanding" cuts through the BS like a hot knife through a slab of butter. When the other party draws a blank expression at the term "letter of understanding" you quickly explain as "just an outline of what you're going to do and what I'm going to do to make sure that we remain on the same page." Cuts the crap every time, let me tell you. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Went to the doctors finding I've bronchitis. That with my asthma and CP is making me feel rough. Last time I had bronchitis, it took a while to get rid.

Only had bronchitis once, back in high school, but it sucked so damn much. My throat and chest were in a ton of pain back then. Hope you recover soon.

• Thanks 1

Job interview tomorrow, which is good and all, but I’m a bit nervous since I haven’t been on this side of an interview since January 2002. I dunno if I’ll even take the job if offered but it’s still got me keyed up.  

So, since I needed some distractions, my four year old has a high fever and diarrhea since last night, my wife got rear ended this morning by somebody that may or may not have insurance and ended up with whiplash, and our air conditioning went out on a 95 degree day

Wednesday and Thursday were rough day for the family, but yesterday and today have seen impovements.

Wed: The wife finds out that the kids are being excluded from the Science Expo next month, on the basis that they're in 3rd and 1st Grade and there won't be any activities for kids that age. The expo is suppose to be for grades K-12, and the head of the school's Science Dept has said that the effort they've put into their project equals that of high school kids (although obviously not as advanced). 

Thur: I get an email that the job I was *definitely* going to get at the county detention center, isn't happening. On the basis that my father in law was recently promoted to Captain and it's against policy to have someone he's related to under him. My bro in law already works there, and will probably be let go.

Fri: Turns out that the people in charge of the Center *AND* HR are fighting on the issue of my bro in law and me working there, because they're so desperate for people. I have a fucking degree and my bro in law already has a year and a half there.  So, its in the hands of the lawyers, the big issue is that they're afraid that if either of us were to get promoted, they'd be sued on the basis of showing favortisim. I wasn't supposed to get that email, because they're fighting this out. So, the HR person who sent it got chewed out for it.

Sat: The head of the science dept told one of her collegues about my girls being shut out of the expo. She made a few calls and someone from NASA wants to do a skype session with them about their project. This is in addition to them still fighting the people putting on the Expo.

• Like 4

On 4/10/2019 at 3:05 AM, The Natural said:

oh man, bronchitis is the worst.  I had it literally every winter I spent in Arkansas (from the time I was 4 til I was 8, and again at 34). Not the most dangerous health situation I've ever been in, but definitely the most miserable.  If you're not already well (because I haven't checked this thread in a week), please take care of yourself.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

oh man, bronchitis is the worst.  I had it literally every winter I spent in Arkansas (from the time I was 4 til I was 8, and again at 34). Not the most dangerous health situation I've ever been in, but definitely the most miserable.  If you're not already well (because I haven't checked this thread in a week), please take care of yourself.

Cheers friend. Had a rough weekend with it.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:50 PM, Robert C said:

And now my near 19 year old cried out and collapsed.  Seems better now but today needs to just fucking end already.  

Sounds like you had a shit day. Hopefully things have gotten better since last week.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

So, the Notre-Dame is on fire. 

1 hour ago, Swiftian said:

Genuinely making me sad...

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

One of the most beautiful buildings on Earth. Just terrible

I saw it on the news at the gym. It also makes me genuinely sad. I've never been to France, but I always wanted to since I started taking French in 6th grade. I did visit the Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal in 1993, which is very beautiful as well.