DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

1 minute ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Hi, so, I have an update. Good news- she's pulled through

Here's the short version of what happened: oral surgeon left a file in her face a decade ago. It randomly got EXTREMELY infected. It's too dangerous to remove it, so instead they just removed all her molars on that side. Also the infection spread so far that it reached her brain and airways. It's since receded, and the "plus side" of it is that she has very little memory of the whole thing. What matters is, she's survived. She's survived a hellish amount. She's the strongest person I've ever met, and if it was her against the world, I'd bet on her every time.

and if you think you should yell "SUE THEM," don't think we haven't all lined up and told her this

*gets at the back of the line* Sue the shit out of them.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Here's the short version of what happened: oral surgeon left a file in her face a decade ago. It randomly got EXTREMELY infected. It's too dangerous to remove it, so instead they just removed all her molars on that side. Also the infection spread so far that it reached her brain and airways. It's since receded, and the "plus side" of it is that she has very little memory of the whole thing. What matters is, she's survived. She's survived a hellish amount. She's the strongest person I've ever met, and if it was her against the world, I'd bet on her every time.

and if you think you should yell "SUE THEM," don't think we haven't all lined up and told her this

Holy shit, whoever left a FUCKING FILE in her face should be paying all of y'all's bills for the next 100 years or so.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Fucking hell, that's scandalous.

PM Lawful Metal, he's a good lawyer and would probably enjoy a huge personal injury case that's a slam dunk!

18 hours ago, OSJ said:

Mike:

If there's that much turnover, there has to be a reason. Sure you want to work there? 

Not to minimize anyone's shitty time of it, but since two of my four sisters-in-law (the ones I'm closest to) were here today and can't be here tomorrow, I got some birthday cake and ice-cream a day early. Yum, yum, yum!

BTW: Gifts will be gratefully accepted from one and all, if you don't have time to shop, PM me for my PayPal addy, cash is fine, I'm easy to please!

The reason that a lot of jobs have a lot of turnover out here is due to the money that the oil company is offering. There's a large refinery between Carlsbad and Artesia.  But, yes, I'm very sure I want to work there. It's the county Detention Center, so as long as there is crime in Eddy county, I'll be able to keep a job.  I was hoping to get the job in the booking department, since I've been a desk jockey and doing office work for the last twelve years.

I'm feeling a lot better today. Last night, I was the most miserable bastard on the planet. 

Happy Birthday John, I hope you enjoyed that cake and ice cream.

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

The reason that a lot of jobs have a lot of turnover out here is due to the money that the oil company is offering. There's a large refinery between Carlsbad and Artesia.  But, yes, I'm very sure I want to work there. It's the county Detention Center, so as long as there is crime in Eddy county, I'll be able to keep a job.  I was hoping to get the job in the booking department, since I've been a desk jockey and doing office work for the last twelve years.

I'm feeling a lot better today. Last night, I was the most miserable bastard on the planet. 

Happy Birthday John, I hope you enjoyed that cake and ice cream.

Crime, in NM? You don't say! ?  Thanks for the birthday wishes. I forgot all about that refinery, screw that kind of work, I was a steelworker once upon a time, and fuck that shit.

• Like 1

Cat is at the vet's right now.  We're at $600 for the current visit, without the problem actually having been fixed yet, after an $1100 visit last month, and they can't guarantee she won't be back again next month with the same problem.  I have to put her to sleep, unfortunately.  Basically crying at work right now (and writing about it isn't helping, so I should stop!)

This is going to be losing a pet within a month of my gf breaking up with me.  Although, the breakup was amicable and pretty reasonable, and I'm taking this cat thing way harder.

• Sad 4

15 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Cat is at the vet's right now.  We're at $600 for the current visit, without the problem actually having been fixed yet, after an $1100 visit last month, and they can't guarantee she won't be back again next month with the same problem.  I have to put her to sleep, unfortunately.  Basically crying at work right now (and writing about it isn't helping, so I should stop!)

This is going to be losing a pet within a month of my gf breaking up with me.  Although, the breakup was amicable and pretty reasonable, and I'm taking this cat thing way harder.

So sorry. Thinking of you buddy.

• Like 1

Taking a trip tomorrow, and was going to have her stay at this "Pet Chateau" boarding place.  Gotta call and cancel that booking.  I'm sure I'll be very calm and composed on that phone call.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Taking a trip tomorrow, and was going to have her stay at this "Pet Chateau" boarding place.  Gotta call and cancel that booking.  I'm sure I'll be very calm and composed on that phone call.

Shit. Pets are more than pets, pets are family. Thinking of you and your cat, matey.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm so sorry. Sometimes the kindest thing that we can do for our little friends is to let them go. Back in Seattle we spent $5K to have a surgeon remove a tumor from our cat, the experience traumatized him and he was miserable, worse, the tumor came right back and we had to put him to sleep anyway. I will never subject another animal to that sort of trauma again. It's been twenty years and I still feel awful about it.

• Sad 3

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Unfortunately the average statute of limitations time span for medical malpractice is two to four years, so time is up for any legal remedy.  I'm currently talking to my mom about hiring an attorney and suing the convalescent center where my father is recuperating from his fractured hip. I don't want her to dawdle and miss her window of opportunity.

Since his stay there, he's been suffering from a cracked rib he sustained in a fall and he's also taking antibiotics to recover from a urinary tract infection.

Deduction / Suspicion:  these mother fuckers are letting my dad soil himself in his incontinence undergarments rather than take him to the bathroom when he asks to be taken to the bathroom.  He probably got the cracked rib when he tried to go to the bathroom himself since no one would assist him.

My mom is dealing with a lot right now, so I am not sure if she is going to pursue legal action and I can't do it myself since I am not on the power of attorney.  I know she went to meet the head of the facility today to chew him the fuck out, so hopefully a word to the wise is sufficient.  They don't want me to come down there and handle it because I will start burning tires in their parking lot.

• Sad 3

Just got home from 7 hours at the ER with my wife.  She either is fine or has flesh eating bacteria.

That's not a joke, that's just the kind of shit that happens in our life.

She'll be there for at least a day while they pump her full of antibiotics and try to figure out what's going on.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Just got home from 7 hours at the ER with my wife.  She either is fine or has flesh eating bacteria.

She'll be there for at least a day while they pump her full of antibiotics and try to figure out what's going on.

Holy shit Z, how the heck did that happen? Hope it turns out to be something easily resolved!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Shit. Best wishes to you and the wife, mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

Holy shit Z, how the heck did that happen? Hope it turns out to be something easily resolved!

3 weeks ago she got a cut on her elbow in the hot tub at her gym.  It, of course, got infected and she got antibiotics.  Seemed to be clearing up, until about a week ago it started draining lots of fluid.  Over the weekend fluid started building up in and around her elbow and, more importantly, tiny air bubbles that you could hear crackling under the skin (which I learned is called crepitation).  So we went to the ER at the urging of her PCP and they decided it was one of two things.  Either a) something about her ehlers danlos and the physiology of her elbow is introducing air into this cavity via the wound and that's causing the crackling or b) necrotizing bacteria is slowly eating her arm from the inside and creating CO2 while it does.  This would normally be pretty cut and dried except my wife doesn't always express infections normally and the normal method of finding out (which is basically just cutting open the arm and digging around) is risky because of her wound healing issues.  So basically they're just pumping her full of IV antibiotics and waiting on the results of an MRI.

My wife, the medical marvel.

• Sad 3

Turns out it was somewhere in between. Looks like a small infection under the skin but probably not necrotizing fasciitis. She's in surgery now getting the area cleaned up.

Thanks all for the good thoughts

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Turns out it was somewhere in between. Looks like a small infection under the skin but probably not necrotizing fasciitis. She's in surgery now getting the area cleaned up.

Thanks all for the good thoughts

Good deal! Positive vibes sent her way from NM. 

If I ever want a reminder how much the internet hates this site (and by proxy me since I internalize everything) I just read twitter

Granted we aren’t hated as much as Bix...

• Haha 1