DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

Not too hot lately.

Like, there's no real "problem". There is nothing I can point at and say "That's ruining everything". It's just a combo. I've been working full time for 6 months, and that's well and good, and money isn't a problem, but a lot of personal steps I took last year forward seem to have disappeared. I was running a DnD game, was hanging out with friends I haven't seen in a while, and now..... Nothing. I feel like I cut off personal growth I've been working on for years for my job. It's led to me almost relapsing into depression, and I feel like I'm fighting it off almost every day. I haven't felt like my mental health was a battle field like this in a decade. Back then, it seemed to bring out the best side of me, but I'm questioning if I can even be that person anymore.

Wanted to get this out without people actually worrying about me outside of a select few, so here we are.

Good God, but the IRS are a bunch of fucking dumbasses.  Been trying to deal with something that my now former accountant fucked up in 2015 for 18 months now.  Simple thing, to the point where the fucking state of Texas figured it out on their own, fixed it, and just called to verify the fix.  These dipshits can't do anything that doesn't go off a script.  It's honestly got to the point where I'm hoping they take us to court.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 6:43 PM, El Dragon said:

Not too hot lately.

Like, there's no real "problem". There is nothing I can point at and say "That's ruining everything". It's just a combo. I've been working full time for 6 months, and that's well and good, and money isn't a problem, but a lot of personal steps I took last year forward seem to have disappeared. I was running a DnD game, was hanging out with friends I haven't seen in a while, and now..... Nothing. I feel like I cut off personal growth I've been working on for years for my job. It's led to me almost relapsing into depression, and I feel like I'm fighting it off almost every day. I haven't felt like my mental health was a battle field like this in a decade. Back then, it seemed to bring out the best side of me, but I'm questioning if I can even be that person anymore.

Wanted to get this out without people actually worrying about me outside of a select few, so here we are.

The good thing about good friends is that they are usually there when you reach out to them.

I have battled on an off with depression for basically my entire life from adolescence onwards and even then, something I didn't understand until relatively recently.

Depression isn't just feeling terrible (or worse). It can *prevent you from enjoying things you'd normally be enjoying*. This isn't some sort of magic. It's a chemical reaction inside the brain. I think a lot of people who misunderstand depression need to have this point drilled into them. It can open up a cycle of you abandoning things you'd normally enjoy, which only makes the sadness elements worse.

The example for me is playing guitar. There came a point I simply wasn't getting any personal enjoyment from playing, and I stopped doing it, for years. So I had abandoned something I genuinely had enjoyed because the enjoyment just stopped.  I picked it up again in the last couple months and I said "I don't get why I ever stopped doing this". Then I had this explained to me by my therapist, and it made so much sense.

It's just something to be aware of, another piece of knowledge to arm yourself with.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm doing pretty damn great,.  Wife and I decided last night to move out of the United States  I'm kinda stunned and giddy about this turn of events.  We've been talking about it for awhile, but I never truly thought we'd do it - assuming we do.  But the kids are grown (one already lives overseas), the nieces and nephews are grown, both sets of parents are deceased,  my brother's cancer has been in remission for 9 1/2 years - less than six months to the magic 10 year mark, etc.

I feel a little odd about de facto admitting i'm tired of being an American.  I probably should be more torn about it.  But mostly I'm excited.  We're not even sure where we're headed - we have a few requirements and a short list of cities/countries.  Mostly, we just want one last great adventure .   I lived abroad for several years in my 20's, thanks to work.  I probably would have moved to Europe a decade ago were it not for family considerations.

For some reason, i feel like I should thank Donald Trump for making this possible....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Holy crap, John.  I am sorry to hear about your friend.  You know how to reach me if you want to talk in actual words, homie.

And Yay for Matt!  I am a godfather by proxy!

My boo just told me she got the InfoSec position she applied for at Ft. Belvoir.  The commute will suck, but at least now I won't have to listen to her bitch about having a Master's Degree in Information Assurance and not working in an IT job in her field.

Now if only I could land this Customer Support / Help Desk job at Ft. Meade....

On 9/26/2017 at 11:16 AM, Robert C said:

Good God, but the IRS are a bunch of fucking dumbasses.  Been trying to deal with something that my now former accountant fucked up in 2015 for 18 months now.  Simple thing, to the point where the fucking state of Texas figured it out on their own, fixed it, and just called to verify the fix.  These dipshits can't do anything that doesn't go off a script.  It's honestly got to the point where I'm hoping they take us to court.

I find myself torn between an obligation to defend my profession and a desire to throw anyone I'm not in charge of under the bus.  So if it's not a matter of having your W-4 locked due to repeated balances due or a refund held for prior non-filing, the people responsible are clearly idiots. .

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I find myself torn between an obligation to defend my profession and a desire to throw anyone I'm not in charge of under the bus.  So if it's not a matter of having your W-4 locked due to repeated balances due or a refund held for prior non-filing, the people responsible are clearly idiots. .

You're safe there.  EIN mixup.

Some of my friend's co-workers(he's not living in Vegas anymore, he works remotely from Wisconsin) were at the concert, but none of them were harmed.

We're slowly getting details from her famiily. She was hit in the back and the face. Internal injuries to lung and liver, which have allegedly been dealt with, but there's concern with bleeding in her jaw.

• Sad 1

Ace, hopefully she makes a speedy recovery.  Such horrible news and it's sad that so many people were either killed or injured.  What got me the most was people were recording because they didn't know if they'd live to tell about it.

While it isn't gonna be a speedy recovery, every further bit of news we're getting is good news. The docs are optimistic and think they're done with the internal organs. The kids at the school she and her husband teach at started up a GoFundMe last night that's picked up $24000 so far.

• Like 1

I'm not a thoughts and prayers kind of guy, but I'm hoping she exceeds her high statistical odds already and pulls through healthy and strong for the sake of everyone.

• Like 1