DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

Since the Life Events thread got shitcanned after becoming overly political, I wanted to put this here so that people can use it for what the Life Events thread was originally intended for.

If the mods want to delete this, that's cool.

• Like 1

The missus and I are finally moving out of this horrendous piece-of-shit neighbourhood. No more damaged cars or windows, no more hateful yelling and intimidation, no more attempted assaults, no more sudden extortionate prices at the local stores because we're not of the same group as the rest of the people, no more spitting or throwing cans of coke or bottles of beer, no more threats, no more attempted poisonings of our dogs, no more cheering and all-night partying when there's another terrorist attack... To say we're elated is to vastly understate it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roman said:

The missus and I are finally moving out of this horrendous piece-of-shit neighbourhood. No more damaged cars or windows, no more hateful yelling and intimidation, no more attempted assaults, no more sudden extortionate prices at the local stores because we're not of the same group as the rest of the people, no more spitting or throwing cans of coke or bottles of beer, no more threats, no more attempted poisonings of our dogs, no more cheering and all-night partying when there's another terrorist attack... To say we're elated is to vastly understate it.

Dude, where the fuck do you live.  I've lived in some pretty fucked up neighborhoods, but nothing like that.  I've dealt with racism, having my car broken into, and a bunch of other shit, but I've never dealt with attempts at intimidation, threats, or cheering terrorist attacks.  That sounds pretty fucked up. 

On 2/4/2017 at 2:02 PM, Roman said:

I remember in the previous thread you went into detail about all the shit you two had to put up with.  I'm really glad you finally got the fuck away from from that, living in that kind of area is no good way to live.

• Like 1

Man, our apartment complex we live in has seemed to become a lot shadier lately, and I've been ready to move out of there for a couple of years now, but it's not as bad as what Roman was dealing with it seems. I'm happy you are hopefully moving into a more stable, sane area.

• Like 2

Thanks, you two.

We got ourselves a small house outside the city limits, amidst several miles of privately-owned meadows, farms and chestnut and oak groves, with a sizeable garden for our dogs. About 200 feet from the house is a narrow canal with bicycle and hiking trails where no cars are allowed to go. On the other side of the canal lie more federally protected groves, fields and wetlands. The backyard stops at a narrow creek, behind which lies a big overgrown field. I've already spotted pheasants, a heron and even a kingfisher there. We have one neighbour about 100 feet from us across the road, and that's an old couple who have already been incredibly nice to us. For a country like Belgium, all of this is a rarity and a luxury. The house needs some fixing, of course, but I'm looking forward to starting that.

As far as the missus and I are concerned, we've found a little slice of heaven -- and that feeling is only amplified by the comparison to our previous home. It's amazing. Absolutely amazing. You're all invited to our first big summer barbecue. We couldn't be happier.

• Like 7

A neighbour/family friend is being forced to sell her house after falling victim to one of those furnace inspection/replacement contract scams. She signed a 15 year deal, and by the time she realized it was a scam, it was too late to back out of the deal. About two years back, I remember telling one of them to get lost, and now wonder if it was the specific one that had visited her earlier.

If one of them visits you, feel free to slam your door in their face for me. 

The fucking belt on my garage door opener snapped. Every year something happens to my garage door. My first year here one of the cables on the garage door snapped. The next year one or two of the track wheels broke because the bearings wore out. The year after that one of the tension springs broke. The next year the other cable snapped. And on and on and on.

The belt snapping is a new one. I've never made this fix before, but I'm guessing it's going to require me disassembling some of the opener. Also the new belt is going to cost $90. So I'm not sure what's worse. The time I'll have to put into figuring how to fix this thing along with the cost, or the extreme danger of replacing a cable because that means loosening up the tension springs.

Yay garage door openers...

My uncle had the absolute crap beaten out of him by his daughter's ex-husband on Thursday at my uncle's place of work. Could have killed him, but he got off lightly with the charges in my estimation. Broken nose, broken eye socket, broken cheek, fractured skull, broken ribs and a concussion. This is a 72 year old man that's as short as Rey Rey. To say I don't know what I would do if I ever saw him again is an understatement.

Thankfully, yes. Quick n' dirty. Guy was in his garage taking photos of the RV his ex technically owns but he was on the title, with the intentions to probably try and steal and sell it. Was confronted, told to leave. After some back and forth, guy starts insulting my uncle's daughters in a very derogatory manner repeatedly, so he slapped him. Note, he was already illegally trespassing. Guy snapped, punched him, kneed him in the face, kneeled on his chest and just punched him repeatedly. The guy turned himself and claimed he only hit him once. My uncle looks like he was in the most one-sided UFC fight ever. The guy is over a foot taller than him and 25 years younger than him.

@Ryan

All best for your uncle. Hope he's okay after what sounds like a horrific beating. I hope the prick that did it does some serious time. Things like this remind how small some of the stuff we worry about truly is. I actually came to the thread to bitch about one of my cats who has been missing for two weeks. It's our fault, we needed to get both he and his brother fixed and put it off a month due to cash-flow. That was long enough for them to both start doing what un-neutered toms do... Fight constantly, spray and run amok. Unfortunately, he kept getting the short end fighting his brother and we think that Waldo ran Raffles off "his" territory. Hopefully, he comes homes someday, I miss him. The really fucked thing is he disappeared just days before we were going to take both in to get fixed, figuring that would calm the whole situation down. 

If you are a cat lover consider these two facts: Neutering about $140 Lifespan of animal un-neutered 5 years; neutered 15-20 years. Pretty significant difference for your pet.

• Like 2

Brother, my black tom Alfie has had the works, our old cat Gizzmo got a blood disease from fighting and I couldn't bear seeing another cat go through that, was lucky to get 8 years out of him, was devestated when he passed.  Young Alfie turns 1 in a few weeks and had a positive check up at the vets his morning.

In other news, I celebrated by buying Spruce Mead from my local farmers market.  It is lovely and I feel like a Viking King.

• Like 1