DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

Hahaha, hey it made about five people around me laugh. I take my victories where I can get 'em. And the Club jokes were awful, but as soon as I saw they were kinda pissing off the couple of smarky folks, I couldn't resist. And to be fair that was all at the beginning. That match was so good all that shit ceased and it was just boos for the Club and cheers for C and S.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 3:05 PM, The Iron Yuppie said:

The Mojo Rawley thing has me wondering, how many current WWE'ers are former college players? Ones I know off the top of my head are: 

Mojo: Maryland
Roman Reigns: Georgia Tech
Goldberg: Georgia
John Cena: Springfield
Titus O'Neill: Florida
Big E: Iowa
Baron Corbin: Northwest Missouri State
Tino Sabbatelli: Oregon State (All Pac-10 and helped end USC's three-year undefeated run in conference!) 
Bray Wyatt: Troy

I also remember that God-awful wrestler Ricky Ortiz was an All-WAC defensive end at Tulsa, and an XFL product! 

Eric Rowan played small college ball. Bray Wyatt was a Juco all american. Swagger played football at OU before focusing on wrestling full time. Apollo Crews played somewhere, I'm pretty sure. Luke Gallows played college ball. 

• Like 1

Most people in this thread taking about the demise of baseball have been listening to too much fucking Colin Cowherd or whatever. That sport rakes money hand over fist, from the lower levels all the way up. 

Here's an example...I went to a CAR/PHI NHL game in CAR the other night and I am going to two PHI spring training games in March. The ticket prices were comparable. 

None of my friends will go with me to house shows, it's all gotta be RAW or SDL and shit.  House shows have this stigma now that "oh, nothing happens" but I used to have lots of fun at house shows.  They are pretty fast-moving too.  Televised events half the time you are looking at a screen showing videos and bullshit.  My friends are all spoiled fans.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the SD show I went to last summer, but the NXT show had much better pacing. I mean I get it, of course something being filmed for TV is going to be different but I really like the house show atmosphere. I've never been to a bad house show, I have been to bad TV tapings.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

None of my friends will go with me to house shows, it's all gotta be RAW or SDL and shit.  House shows have this stigma now that "oh, nothing happens" but I used to have lots of fun at house shows.  They are pretty fast-moving too.  Televised events half the time you are looking at a screen showing videos and bullshit.  My friends are all spoiled fans.

Don't feel bad. It'll happen one day. Where we all get to attend a show together, and to keep kayfabe, use our board names. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

None of my friends will go with me to house shows, it's all gotta be RAW or SDL and shit.  House shows have this stigma now that "oh, nothing happens" but I used to have lots of fun at house shows.

Back in the old days, the opposite was usually true.

Barely anything important happened on television and nearly all of the title changes went down on the road.

• Like 2

Apparently this year's new gimmick for Chikara is that they secretly already taped Season 17 (named after Lost episodes) before losing people to WWE. 3 of them so far got released today along with the live Pro Wrestling Day coverage. The live shows this year will be Season 18 (named after Doctor Who episodes). The end of Pro Wrestling Day displayed...

Spoiler

a brand new Grand Champion: Ultramantis Black

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun WWE house show, and hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Owens v. Show seeing the shape Show has gotten himself in.  That's gotta be so much easier on his knees especially as he gets up in age.  Hell, I dropped 50-60 in the past few years and my joints feel so much better.  (They're still held together with duct tape and bubble gum, but less strain.)

I'm going to SmackDown in Seattle on Tuesday - I never thought I'd say I'd be looking forward to seeing Orton vs. Cena again, but with both working their asses off in their current runs and the time matches have been getting on SmackDown lately, we might end up with some really good stuff.  (Local ads are still advertising Styles defending against Cena and Ambrose defending against Miz, so who knows.)

11 hours ago, just drew said:

Eric Rowan played small college ball. Bray Wyatt was a Juco all american. Swagger played football at OU before focusing on wrestling full time. Apollo Crews played somewhere, I'm pretty sure. Luke Gallows played college ball. 

Big Show was a college bball player. 

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have way more fun at house shows than at RAW/Smackdown tapings. Like you said, it feels like you're staring at a video screen or listening to 20 minute yak session 75% of the time at a tv taping. 

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

the couple house shows i've been to have been lame. it's been a few years, but the faces won every single match and it felt like everybody was mailing it in. 

i feel like at this point i'd only go to PPVs Network Specials.

My all-time favorite wrestling heckle I ever said was at ECW Arena in the 90s. Some Japanese guy was wrestling. Match was a snooze and for some reason a "USA! USA!" change broke out.

CROWD: "USA!"

ME: "SUCKS!"

CROWD: "USA!"

ME: "SUCKS!"

Then my friend immediately told me to stop. And I realized why. I just said this at a friggin' ECW show in Philly. Like three people started threatening my life on the spot. I have no idea how I wasn't murdered. Really funny in retrospect but man that was not the most well thought-out idea.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It really was, man.

And as far as me yelling shit? I learned how to be a live wrestling fan in Philly and East Rutherford in the Eighties. It could be way worse.:lol:

I applaud you very much for harassing the worst among us, the super smarks who must have been fuming mad all night that you dared criticize New Japan. I really wish I could have heard that conversation on the car ride home. "Can you believe that guy? I bet he didn't even see that Kenny Omega match!"

• Like 1

I was at this little tiny Indy show at my church a few years ago and they had this local guy on the card (he was real young so he was probably just getting into wrestling I'd imagine or he had reached his full potential) and he was doing a full on Communist sympathizer gimmick. He had a Chinese manager (just as young) and they were waving a communist flag. I believe the guy was facing The Patriot (not sure if it was the Honky Tonk Man owned/endorsed one) and through out the match I would just yell from like the 5th row back BEAT THE COMMIE (CLAP CLAP) BEAT THE COMMIE. I think a few people started doing it with me.

You wouldn't think that sort of stuff would be fun in like what was it 2012 I think, but it was. I can only imagine what it must of been like in the 80's with someone doing a full on Communist gimmick and the shit people must have been saying to them from the crowd.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 11:17 AM, HumanChessgame said:

Vince: Kevin, I've decided to bring in a few ringers. Professional baseballers. We'll give them token jobs in the WWE and have them play on our softball team. Honus Wagner, Cap Anson, Mordecai "3-Finger" Brown...

Kevin Dunn: Sir?

Vince: What is it, Kevin?

Kevin: I'm afraid all those players have retired and... passed on. In fact, your right fielder has been dead for 130 years.

Vince: Damnation! Alright, find me some good players. LIVING players! Scour the professional ranks. The American League, the National League, the Negro League!

Unsatisfied with the reactions Roman Reigns is getting in wrestling, Vince would insist on pushing him as the all star on one of the teams, but then fire him when he wouldn't do a satisfactory job of cutting his sideburns.

Well damn, he knows who AC/DC is, he's not completely C. Montgomery Burns

17 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

nine dollar 24 oz. beers

Good lord! I woulda brought a flask instead.