DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Taco Cabana was just the first thing I could think of as a stand-in for Houston's Tex-Mex scene. 

Which again, I love, just not as much as Mexican food from San Diego or Arizona. 

Or New Mexico because I love Sonoran, too. 

Also, Whataburger is tremendous. Better than In-n-Out, Five Guys, or whatever mid-level burger joint I can think of outside of Smashburger. 

EDIT: Or Burgerville in the Pacific Northwest. Burgerville is even more tremendous than Whataburger, which is a tall order, I know. 

What the bloody hell is Burgerville? I'm a former Seattlite and I've never heard of such a thing, your failure to mention the greatness that is a Dick's Deluxe makes me sad.  I'll have to admit, I thought Whataburger in ABQ was pretty damn good, but my money usually goes to Del Taco or Popeyes, neither of which are available in Gallup. There's also a Mongolian grill which doesn't come close to Chang's in Renton (formerly on Broadway), but it's better than nothing.

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

What the bloody hell is Burgerville? I'm a former Seattlite and I've never heard of such a thing, you're failure to mention the greatness that is a Dick's Deluxe makes me sad.  I'll have to admit, I thought Whataburger in ABQ was pretty damn good, but my money usually goes to Del Taco or Popeyes, neither of which are available in Gallup. There's also a Mongolian grill which doesn't come close to Chang's in Renton (formerly on Broadway), but it's better than nothing.

Burgerville only happens to be endorsed by Northwest wrestling legend Playboy Buddy Rose. The only meal to keep you at a slim, trim, 201 pounds! 

34702fc471317e9704df09fbb86d9a03.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Burgerville only happens to be endorsed by Northwest wrestling legend Playboy Buddy Rose. The only meal to keep you at a slim, trim, 201 pounds! 

34702fc471317e9704df09fbb86d9a03.jpg

Ah that explains much... I made many, many trips to Portland from Seattle in my forty years there. Thing is, there's this place in Centralia/Chehalis called the Rib Eye that just makes a killer chicken-fried steak, so I was never hungry when passing Orchards. I've probably missed out on something great, if Buddy liked it it had to be good.

18 minutes ago, nate said:

I eat in a hospital cafeteria for lunch every day.

(I just want to be a part of the discussion.)

How is it? The one im at actually is pretty good considering it's a hospital. I wisely stay out of there most of the time. 

5 minutes ago, Zartan said:

How is it? The one im at actually is pretty good considering it's a hospital. I wisely stay out of there most of the time. 

It's amazingly good.  It's a small SC town, but they have a Mediterranean grill, a sandwich bar, and even a rotating side item section.  Throw in the usual salad bar, pizza-by-the-slice area, and grill items, and the strength is in the variety.

Lots of people living nearby hit it up around lunch time.  Plus, it's usually pretty quiet, which is always good after spending the first four hours of a day chilling with raving schizophrenics. 

5 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Hospital food gets a bad rap. A couple of years ago when I had to stay at Presbyterian in ABQ after my coma, I must admit that the food was pretty damn good (despite a lack of salt, but my wife smuggled some in.) The only downer was the coffee, medical professionals seem to have taken to heart the idea that caffeine=bad. Fuck that shit, I'm a Seattle boy, I drink a double-latte before going to bed (after about two pots of regular coffee during the day). 

48 minutes ago, OSJ said:

What the bloody hell is Burgerville? I'm a former Seattlite and I've never heard of such a thing, your failure to mention the greatness that is a Dick's Deluxe makes me sad.  I'll have to admit, I thought Whataburger in ABQ was pretty damn good, but my money usually goes to Del Taco or Popeyes, neither of which are available in Gallup. There's also a Mongolian grill which doesn't come close to Chang's in Renton (formerly on Broadway), but it's better than nothing.

Dick's is crazy delicious, but how many of them are there? Like 6? Burgerville is like a legit chain, probably 50 or so locations, with most of them in the PDX metro. So more a regional chain restaurant than a single town institution like Dick's Drive-In is. When I lived in Portland, I would get the hankering for a Dick's Deluxe every now and again, but it's hard to justify driving 3 hours for a cheeseburger.

I know that Whataburger is in AZ now, so maybe when I am there for Spring Training next month I will seek them out.

Fuckin' A, do I want a hamburger for dinner now!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Dick's is crazy delicious, but how many of them are there? Like 6? Burgerville is like a legit chain, probably 50 or so locations, with most of them in the PDX metro. So more a regional chain restaurant than a single town institution like Dick's Drive-In is. When I lived in Portland, I would get the hankering for a Dick's Deluxe every now and again, but it's hard to justify driving 3 hours for a cheeseburger.

I know that Whataburger is in AZ now, so maybe when I am there for Spring Training next month I will seek them out.

Fuckin' A, do I want a hamburger for dinner now!

Think you have the number of locations right for Dick's. I was fortunate enough to grow up on 22nd & 85th NW, so the Holman Rd. location was easy to get to. Later I lived a block off of Broadway, so that too was cool. Finally when we bought our house in Wallingford, Dick's on 45th was an easy walk, my office was on Queen Anne, so again, easy walk to Dick's. Our final residence, Lake City, three blocks from, (you guessed it).

The Seattle eatery I miss most (in fast food terms) is Totem House fish n' chips. Simply to die for, Skipper's would do in a pinch, but nothing like a double fish double fries with large tarter sauce from Totem House..,

All we have in Gallup fucking Long John Silver's, known for their two-inch thick breading. Fuck that.

A burger for dinner actually sounds really good, but I've had a roast slow-cooking in the crockpot all day. Although, I could do a burger and the roast will be even better tomorrow.... Hmmm...

Growing up in Portland I distinctly remember driving south and at around Albany, OR there was a billboard saying "Last Burgerville for 50,000 miles" (or however many miles it takes to circumnavigate the globe) and seeing a similar sign just north of Vancouver, WA

Also, I'm not going to front, Burgerville is a little over rated, except for their Walla Walla Sweet Onion Rings, I could eat my body weight in those.

32 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Growing up in Portland I distinctly remember driving south and at around Albany, OR there was a billboard saying "Last Burgerville for 50,000 miles" (or however many miles it takes to circumnavigate the globe) and seeing a similar sign just north of Vancouver, WA

Also, I'm not going to front, Burgerville is a little over rated, except for their Walla Walla Sweet Onion Rings, I could eat my body weight in those.

Walla Walla Sweets are fucking divine. Vidalia doesn't match up at all, plus for some reason, batter seems to stick better to the WWS, why, I don't know, I've made onion rings with both and the WWS just come out better. 

Am I the only one to notice that discussion of comestibles seems far more interesting than anything happening in wrestling this month?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I'd like to allow for one exception: Whataburger. I feel like it's the Texas equivalent to what In-n-Out was in California, in that if you're in the state it's required you eat there. Also, I may lose my California residency for this, but I prefer Whataburger to In-n-Out. 

Now you're speaking my language.  Whataburger is the bomb, and yes, it is absolutely a must-have when visiting the state.  

Also, if you're visiting Houston, Niko Niko's is another chain that is acceptable.  Great Greek food.  (Though the best gyro in the city is made by a small, Hispanic lady at the Al's Quick Stop next to Rudyard's.)

7 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I'd like to allow for one exception: Whataburger. I feel like it's the Texas equivalent to what In-n-Out was in California, in that if you're in the state it's required you eat there. Also, I may lose my California residency for this, but I prefer Whataburger to In-n-Out. 

Now you're speaking my language.  Whataburger is the bomb, and yes, it is absolutely a must-have when visiting the state.  

Also, if you're visiting Houston, Niko Niko's is another chain that is acceptable.  Great Greek food.  (Though the best gyro in the city is made by a small, Hispanic lady at the Al's Quick Stop next to Rudyard's.)

EDIT:  @#%(ing double post!  Why does this board hate mobile phones so much!

@OSJ, the wife and I drive to Centralia just to kill our Burgerville cravings once or twice a year.

@grilledcheeseThere are a couple Whataburgers in Tempe (the one near ASU's campus was 24 hours when I went to school there years ago, and it probably is now if you are looking for late night burgers). It is ten minutes from the new ST complex in Scottsdale.

Go to Smash Burger while you are there, too. Also The Orange Table in Scottsdale, if it still exists. They do a burger cooked in Arrogant Bastard Ale that is king-sized.

P.S.: Dick's is worse than McDonald's, there, I said it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Go to Smash Burger while you are there, too. Also The Orange Table in Scottsdale, if it still exists. They do a burger cooked in Arrogant Bastard Ale that is king-sized.

Damn it. I love Stone, and that beer is awesome. I don't eat meat, but that sounds like a nice meal. 

1 hour ago, zev said:

Are there any Australian or New Zealand wrestling promotions of note these days?

Melbourne City Wrestling seems to have a bit of buzz around it, they don't have much in the way of full matches on youtube though I think they sell shows through vimeo now. Snakepit Adelaide was good but again, I think they've stopped putting up free stuff too. Riot City Wrestling is decent and have loads of stuff on youtube, and there's a bunch of little promotions dotted around too, seems like a healthy scene. Danger Paul needs to wrestle more though.

Anyway, I really just came in here to let everyone know that in India, there's a wrestler named Hitler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zev said:

Are there any Australian or New Zealand wrestling promotions of note these days?

Melbourne City Wrestling as mentioned.

Ill also shout out PCW. Based in Melbourne's east and also with a training centre in Geelong.

Buddy Murphy and Emma both came through there.

• Like 1