DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

When I was a kid, we didn't have any Cracker Barrells around - but hearing the name I dreamed it was this amazing place with barrels full of crackers that you could choose from and then put cheese on them and eat all different kinds of cheese and crackers all day long.

I never dd look up what it actually was, but I'm horribly disappointed now that I know.  

• Like 3

Cracker Barrel is good, you just have to know what to get.

Pecan Pancakes Mon-Sat, "Sunday Chicken" or something like that on Sundays. It's two gigantic (Scott Steiner approved) boneless chicken breasts battered and fried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While we're talking about Vince McMahon failures and restaurants, did anyone ever go to WWF New York? I wanted to, just never did.

I went in probably 99 or 2000.  I was probably 15 or 16 and into wrestling, plus it was cool then.  

This place was not cool.  It was super lame and the food sucked.  I don't really remember much about it which is weird cause I loved wrestling then...Think I stopped following current stuff about a year or so later until 2007.

• Like 2

Not to push the food discussion any further (my omelette for lunch was good btw) but the only Arby's Reuben I ever had was slimy and detestable, hopefully OSJ's was better. But then again, like any chain joint you just need to know what to get when you go there. And there's always a 50/50 that they will still probably screw it up depending on where you are anyway. 

While we're on the theme

"THAT FAT SLAWB LOOKATIM" 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While we're talking about Vince McMahon failures and restaurants, did anyone ever go to WWF New York? I wanted to, just never did.

I'm going to admit that I actually ate at the Nitro Grill.  I was visiting a friend in Vegas and was staying at the Excalibur and didn't even realize that's where it was.  Honestly, the food was actually pretty good, even though the place was clearly on its last legs.  

The worst Rice Krispie Treat I ever ate was at Golden Corral.  I don't know HOW you fuck that up, but they did.

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You didn't miss much.  I went with my family to Time Square, and after a bit of pleading managed to get them to go.  They didn't want to be there but put up with it while I checked out what they had.  The food wasn't good, but when you have WWF stuff going on (including Royal Rumble arcade) food quality's not something I'm there for.  Which makes me wonder why they didn't just open a regular store with whatever bells and whistles to it.

Couple of updates on the Mania card from the newest WON

Austin Aries, 38, has been cleared to wrestle after his orbital bone break. While this is not a confirmed done idea, it has been talked about a Neville vs. Aries title match at WrestleMania. On Raw this week, you could see the beginnings of the tease for it.

If that’s the case, it makes sense for Aries not to wrestle until then, and nobody discussing the idea of him wrestling until the angle is shot. Aries doing those interviews in the ring with the different cruiserweights makes me feel that they are setting him up for that position so that when they do the angle off an interview it doesn’t look so contrived. The show build is similar to the great 1981 angle in Georgia with Roddy Piper (in the role of Aries) vs. Bob Armstrong, although the dynamic was different since Armstrong was a babyface and Piper a heel.

Regarding the planned John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. The Miz & Maryse match, Pro Wresting Sheet reported that Nikki Bella, 33, won’t be retiring after WrestleMania, but will be taking time off.

Bella’s neck problems coming off surgery have been acting up, and have led to numbness at times on one side of her body. She missed the last weekend and shot an injury angle on Talking Smack.

She is hoping that if she takes time off, and only wrestles at major events, she’ll be able to return. But her days of working full-time are likely coming to an end. Her contract does expire after WrestleMania but she’s expecting to stay with the company, like her sister, even after her career is over.

• Like 1

So at this point we can safely say that the Austin-style neck injuries and surgeries eventually lead to careers ending, yes?  I mean, that's kinda obvious but Austin didn't even get three full years after his.  Edge got more but still ended fairly young.  And now it looks like Nikki's not even going to be back a year.

Meltzer also mentioned that Kane is indeed been out so he can heal several nagging injuries

So at some point you know he is going to show up as a mystery opponent to someone

As long as he stays in the midcard and is used to put young guys over I'm fine with him coming back, between his time off and my lack of interest in the main roster over the past year he won't seem as stale (at first but it could be really fast that I'm tired of him again). 

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My ex and I did, several times, we enjoyed it a lot.  Service was great at first, food was okay.  Standard TGI Fridays-level fare.   Went for a couple of PPV's there, including one where a very drunk Mr. Perfect made an appearance. 

Went one time, close to the end, staff was majorly depressed and seemed to know what was coming.  A couple of weeks after, the announcement came that it was shutting down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Austin said:

So it sounds like Abdullah's House of Ribs and Chinese Food is the best of the wrestling restaurants? That had good food, many times when I went Abby was out greeting guests and whatnot and it was a good experience

Only went there once and it was an experience... The food was great (I mean anytime I can have fried chicken gizzards and chow mein, I'm a happy guy.) I was in Hotlanta for a World Horror Convention and this should probably surprise no one, but a lot of pros in the biz are big wrestling fans (horror fiction = literature of the extreme / pro wrestling = theatre of the extreme). Anyway, a bunch of us decided we had to visit Abdullah's. Took three cabs and about a forty minute drive to get there. We were disappointed that the great man was not on hand, but the hostess, a lovely Asian woman who turned out to be Mrs. Abdullah, was a delight to talk with and when we mentioned that there would be a huge party the next day (hosted by TOR Books), and that we'd love to invite Abdullah as a special guest, she assured us that he's show up. 

The evening went well until it was time to return to the hotel, there was a time factor involved as Alan Clark, the Artist Guest of Honor had a midnight presentation scheduled, but what the hell it was only 10PM, plenty of time, right? Not so fast... Apparently Abby's place is not in the best part of town and we were told by the cab company that brought us there that they didn't send drivers out that way after dark. So basically, we were stuck. Miles from our hotel, and no way to get back... Mrs. Abdullah to the rescue! The restaurant was closing, so after we explained our plight she had us all pile in to the Abby Van and after dropping off the cook and dishwasher, took us all the way to the hotel.

The Great Man called the next day to inquire about the party and asked if he could bring a couple of friends (Teddy Long and a newer wrestler named Cactus Jack), we said we'd be delighted to host all three and waited for them to show up at the hotel. Sadly, they never did... So I didn't get to meet the Butcher, Teddy Long or Mick Foley, but I did have one hell of an interesting experience... 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My ex and I did, several times, we enjoyed it a lot.  Service was great at first, food was okay.  Standard TGI Fridays-level fare.   Went for a couple of PPV's there, including one where a very drunk Mr. Perfect made an appearance. 

I would have liked to meet a very drunk Mr. Perfect. I definitely would have bought him a drink. 

The Nitro Grill being in Las Vegas makes sense, I guess, since Vegas is home to so many kitschy and sorta low-brow restaurants. It's just funny they wouldn't have it in Atlanta, though. WCW really hated its core audience. 

Speaking of Vegas kitsch, Gail Kim's husband Robert Irvine has a spot opening there this spring. The question is, will it be Overpriced TGI Friday's or Less Classy Donovan's? I sense a prime opportunity for Victoria/Tara/Lisa Varon to expand The Squared Circle from Chicago to Vegas and rekindle her feud with Gail. Out of the ring and into the kitchen, brother! 

The only wrestling-themed spot I've ever been to is Lucha Libre Taco in San Diego. It's fine, though I'd argue San Diego has the best Mexican food in the U.S. so it's nothing special. The memorabilia is cool, though. It's downtown, which has become increasingly trendy in recent years, so it's sort of a hip spot.