DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I also don't think that creating an alternative to the NFL is necessary in 2017. If anything, the NFL is oversaturated at this point. 

Maybe if Vince wants to get back into sports, he can figure out a way to Make Baseball Great Again. There's a sport in need of a makeover in terms of presentation and some of the way that the game is paced. 

If the NFL is oversaturated with NO minor league system, then baseball is more oversaturated due to how big the minor league system is (to the point most relatively big city in the US probably has a minor league team on some level to its name). As the makeover and pace falls, adding another baseball league would just dilute the game more and make it even more of a problem.

Unless Vince could get some of the top AAA, AA teams, and/or some of the particularly good drawing independent league A-ball to defect to his league to get the infrastructure and markets MLB ignores, he wouldn't have a prayer- and if he did, he'd just be a AAA-level league.

2 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I'm just thinking of Vince wanting to do old time Baseball.

WE NEED SMASH MOUTH BASEBALL. SLIDING SPIKES UP AND THROWING SPITBALLS DAMN IT.

If Senile Vince is a thing, Vince putting money in a Vintage Baseball league would be great.

"IT'S THE NEW ERA. ONE UMPIRE, IN A ROCKING CHAIR! PICK HIGH OR LOW FOR MORE DINGERS!

8 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

If the NFL is oversaturated with NO minor league system, then baseball is more oversaturated due to how big the minor league system is (to the point most relatively big city in the US probably has a minor league team on some level to its name). As the makeover and pace falls, adding another baseball league would just dilute the game more and make it even more of a problem.

Unless Vince could get some of the top AAA, AA teams, and/or some of the particularly good drawing independent league A-ball to defect to his league to get the infrastructure and markets MLB ignores, he wouldn't have a prayer- and if he did, he'd just be a AAA-level league.

The NFL has a state-sponsored minor-league system, breh/brehette. And it's one that gets massive media coverage, unlike baseball's minor-league system. 

I envision Vince McMahon's baseball league as a cross between the movie Major League, the game MLB Slugfest, and Jim Bouton's book Ball Four. In other words, I might start watching baseball regularly again if he ever starts up his own league. I want to see people throwing perfect games on LSD, mandatory player use of greenies and steroids, and people sliding spikes up and having wild, bench-clearing brawls every other inning. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I noticed those similarities too. At the risk of getting another thread locked, I'll leave it at that.

And every 30 for 30 I've seen is great. The Bo Jackson one bummed me out for like a week. The Doc Gooden/Darryl Strawberry one was phenomenal too. I am eagerly awaiting the Ric Flair one, though I'm sure it will have its sad moments also.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.si.com/tech-media/2016/11/20/ric-flair-wwe-espn-30-for-30-monday-night-football-mexico-city%3Famp%3D1&ved=0ahUKEwj7v7GR7vTRAhXC7yYKHfifDpMQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNGh1EwM_p-7fOUD3uMm0Rl19xTqog

You've gotta watch Broke. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The NFL has a state-sponsored minor-league system, breh/brehette. And it's one that gets massive media coverage, unlike baseball's minor-league system. 

Exactly, but that's the reason why the Pacific Pro model would be the XFL's best benefit.

The NCAA could be beaten by all of its controversy- the "should they pay players?" vs. "the scholarship is their payment" thing. The XFL can't beat the NFL on that...but if they focused on the NCAA and tried to find a way to fight that with "we'll pay NCAA athletes who can't get to the NFL yet, or even high school players who choose not to go to the NCAA, if you defect from the NCAA to us" like Pacific Pro is trying to do, the XFL might stand a chance.

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The minor league teams aren't really for selling tickets, they're reserve/prospect teams for the big league teams.  That makes it different.

It's just like how the D league is, it's not meant to be the English Championship.

That said, with the concussion stuff, the cable TV market about to implode, and the general mood of the young in the country, among other things- I think football in general is going to decline slowly but steadily the rest of my life- and basketball will be the top winter sport, and summer sports will be a baseball/soccer split, with some hockey in the northern states (but less than you'd think).   I also think political trends will hurt football- it's going to become associated with the part of America that's dying off and that's gonna turn off some younger folk- soccer seems to be more culturally aware.

I do think baseball is going to continue to be a conservative sport- but also more Hispanic in nature.

Baseball seems like it's got some inoculation against the death of cable as we know it potentially with MLBN, and since baseball's a local sport- they prob could sell single-team packages for $150. 

Vince's best bet really for his own sports league would probably be a combat sport.  Go after the UFC directly.

Just my opinion, but I think Vince running an alternative baseball league would be a comical disaster.  I don't even want to think what innovations Vince would bring to the game, or what safety issues he'd skirt ("batting helmets are for wussies!") 

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Just my opinion, but I think Vince running an alternative baseball league would be a comical disaster.  I don't even want to think what innovations Vince would bring to the game, or what safety issues he'd skirt ("batting helmets are for wussies!") 

Vince: Kevin, I've decided to bring in a few ringers. Professional baseballers. We'll give them token jobs in the WWE and have them play on our softball team. Honus Wagner, Cap Anson, Mordecai "3-Finger" Brown...

Kevin Dunn: Sir?

Vince: What is it, Kevin?

Kevin: I'm afraid all those players have retired and... passed on. In fact, your right fielder has been dead for 130 years.

Vince: Damnation! Alright, find me some good players. LIVING players! Scour the professional ranks. The American League, the National League, the Negro League!

Unsatisfied with the reactions Roman Reigns is getting in wrestling, Vince would insist on pushing him as the all star on one of the teams, but then fire him when he wouldn't do a satisfactory job of cutting his sideburns.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Unsatisfied with the reactions Roman Reigns is getting in wrestling, Vince would insist on pushing him as the all star on one of the teams, but then fire him when he wouldn't do a satisfactory job of cutting his sideburns.

So..... I guess some good came out of it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alstein said:

The minor league teams aren't really for selling tickets, they're reserve/prospect teams for the big league teams.  That makes it different.

It's just like how the D league is, it's not meant to be the English Championship.

I do think baseball is going to continue to be a conservative sport- but also more Hispanic in nature.

Baseball seems like it's got some inoculation against the death of cable as we know it potentially with MLBN, and since baseball's a local sport- they prob could sell single-team packages for $150. 

Vince's best bet really for his own sports league would probably be a combat sport.  Go after the UFC directly.

A combat sport run by Vince McMahon would be doomed from the start, first off. Vince McMahon is just TOO associated with professional wrestling to ever get to run a boxing/MMA promotion on his own, because the second McMahon announced it, everyone would immediately assume it would be "fake" like pro wrestling and he'd be dead in the water before he even ran a show.

As far as the baseball one- with the weaknesses of what McMahon takes away to do it, the minor league factor doesn't just use the reserve/prospect league team factor for this- but also the "local" factor there. The D league thing is relevant, but if every relatively big city or town has one, then it would also mean that there's an infrastructure out there that's already in place- and the bigger concern would be less "Could McMahon start up all these baseball teams and get crowds?", or even "Could McMahon get big enough markets in place without a major league team?",  and more "Could Vince McMahon get these teams to defect to his league to be 'professional level teams'?". 

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

A combat sport run by Vince McMahon would be doomed from the start, first off. Vince McMahon is just TOO associated with professional wrestling to ever get to run a boxing/MMA promotion on his own...

He did promote two boxing PPVs. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Donny Lalonde in 1988, and Sugar Ray Leonard vs Hector Camacho in 1997. AKA the only Leonard fight footage toever be shown on the boxing reality show The Contender.

Pete Weber is the G.O.A.T.

Or I guess he would want to call himself the Whole Fuckin' Show, but yeah, I agree with that too.

I was totally into the Pete Weber/Walter Ray Williams Jr. feud from the '90s myself.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Pete Weber is the G.O.A.T.

Or I guess he would want to call himself the Whole Fuckin' Show, but yeah, I agree with that too.

I was totally into the Pete Weber/Walter Ray Williams Jr. feud from the '90s myself.

Walter Ray was basically Tanahashi with Weber as Okada, no?

Or something like that...

Only thing I remember from XFL is the aforementioned HEHATEME and a guy who kicked field goals with no shoe on. 

People are always trying to figure out Vince but I think reality vs. perception is a whole lot different then the way people imagine or fantasize about his personality. 

Although I will say with all the weird stuff out there to glean from his personality that story I heard from some ex writer on a podcast about Vince spending an entire creative meeting explaining why Wild Hogs is one of the greatest movies ever is the scariest one of all. 

My buddy Chris and I went to a RAW House show last night in Broomfield, Colorado. I've been to a lot of house shows since I moved here over ten years ago, and this one was the best. We arrived at the venue, having partaken of some of the states finest legal weed edibles and immediately got some nine dollar 24 oz. beers. We got to our seats and they were great, lower level facing the entrance way. They now have a full miniature version of the titantron entrance contraption and big screen, which was cool as they showed clips before the show, and they had the full entrance videos along with live shots from the one cameraman. They turned these off during the matches, of course.

We were sitting in an area surrounded by kids with their families and younger fans. Most of whom were Latino, which came in handy when I shouted Trump jokes. No redneck was gonna get all up in the face of this section. 

First match was New Day vs. Shining Stars and Titus O'Neill. The place went nuts for New Day. I keep reading people saying that the crowds are turning on them but not here. You know, with fans who actually enjoy wrestling. The match was fun, and when New Day won the place popped.

Next match was Neville vs. Cedric Alexander. This was awesome. Most of the crowd was behind Cedric, but there were those of us who were cheering Neville. They had a fantastic match that Neville won with the Rings of Saturn. Heel Neville is amazing. He actually comes off as the King of the division, a bad guy who is also the best wrestler in the weight class.

Now, behind us was this young girl who totally thought it was all real, but was also using terms like "heel" and "babyface. It was hilarious. Then we heard her older sister talking about Bullet Club, and how Gallows and Anderson were "Good Brothers" in Japan and shit. So that's where she got it. Then something odd started happening. The young girl started cheering for heels, and her Mom said, "You don't cheer for Neville at home." and she replied "I don't know, I just want to cheer for the heel." My pal leaned over and said to me, "Dude, your heel fan energy is so strong it's affecting this kid, and you're not even trying."  

Next match was Goldust, Sin Cara, and R-Truth vs. Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel, and Jinder Mahal. The match was perfectly fine. There were some cool moves, a lot of comedy, and it was great to see Goldust live one more time before he hangs it up. The crowd LOVED Truth.

Next up was Sami Zayn vs. Braun Strowman. This was fucking great. Sami was super over, although there were pockets of Braun fans. They had their typical Giant vs. underdog match and it didn't disappoint. The finish was Sami trying to suplex Braun, failing, and getting caught in the running powerslam for the one two three. After which me and the guy next to me were loudly yelling at Sami that he was stupid and his strategy was awful.

See, I've inherited a booming voice from my grandpa, who could be heard throughout a baseball stadium when he was on the case of a player. He never raised his voice around me my whole childhood, but if Hernandez was playing too shallow , Gramps let him know as well as the rest of Veteran's Stadium. And I do keep it kayfabe, even if I'm cheering the heels.  

Then Lana was introduced by JoJo. JoJo, by the way...Daymn.

And Lana live...words cant express how smoking hot she is. It must by some live CGI. Speaking of hot, she got on the mic and HEATED UP THE CROWD. Screaming at us, calling us names and insulting the town. Thing was she was right. We are all pathetic and Broomfield stinks.She intros Rusev , and I leap to my feet screaming "MACHKA!" The, Enzo and Big Cass' music hits and the roof came off the place. They even had lights hit disco balls so the place was lit up like a planetarium.They did a short version of their schtick that had the place exploding. Then Cass and Rusev had a really fun smashmouth match that Cass won. Lana and Enzo had outside the ring shenanagins leading to the ref ousting her, super fun.

During intermission I went to get my six year old nephew a souvenir. He loves Cena, and Cena was the only SD guy with merch there. When i was told that the kids t shirt was 35 clams, I said, "Fuck that." and got him a Cena stuffed doll , which he loved when he woke up this morning to find it waiting for him on the kitchen table.

Show starts again with Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair. Funny thing, the little boys sitting in front of us were saying they didn't like Bayley cause she's too "Girly". Which led to a small dueling chant in our section between a group of little boys booing Bayley and a group of little girls cheering Bayley. The crowd was behind Bayley, But a LOT of people were cheering for Charlotte, it was like the Eighties in Philly where Flair always got cheers. Match gets tossed when Dana Brooke ran in, followed by Alicia Fox, then Nia Jax, and then Sasha's music hits, disco lights come on, and she comes out waving a crutch to chase off the heels. Place again went bonkers. Bayley challenged the heels to a six person match and it was on. The women had a really good match that ended with Bayley pinning Charlotte with the Bayley to Belly. And they are all in on selling Bayley merch. She had the most stuff for sale besides Cena.

Next up was Gallows and Anderson vs Cesaro and Sheamus. This was fucking awesome. Only bad part was Anderson being out of position at least twice leading to Cesrao having to awkwardly give him his leg to grab. Otherwise this ruled. Cesaro and Sheamus were super duper over, and Sheamus especially was amazing in the ring. Now, here's where I got a tiny bit smarky. Cause I was LOUDLY booing the Club, mixed with "BULLET CLUB STINKS", "IT'S THE NWO C-TEAM!", "GALLOWS IS KEVIN NASH WITHOUT THE CHARM!", and 'NEW JAPAN IS OVER RATED!" and of all the shit I was bellowing all night, this is what got a few nerds around us booing at me. 

All that aside, this match was fantastic, and Anderson got the rollup on Cesaro after raking his eyes.

Now was main event time. It was scheduled to be Owens vs Rollins. Owens comes out to massive heat, makes fun of the crowd and town, and says that he has good news and bad news. Good news is that Rollins is injured and that he doesnt have to defend the belt tonight. Bad news is that Mick Foley is making him compete tonight in a street fight against a mystery opponent. And the replacement for Rollins is..........The Big Show.

Now, before you all groan remember this. At THIS venue, in front of THIS crowd, Show was incredibly popular. The place popped hard for Show. And also, it was a street fight, so they used tables, and chairs, and all kinds of plunder which led to a really fun match that again, had the place rockin'. Show wins with a chokeslam through a table to send the fans home happy. And holy shit, seeing Show now that he's dropped all the weight and is jacked? Quite a sight.

And the one thing that was clearly evident, is that almost everyone was working their asses off. No one was half assing it cause it's a house show. The Shining Stars seemed a little blah, but if your gimmick was selling fake timeshares, you'd be a little blah as well.

Again, fantastic night of wrestling.

• Like 10