DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

22 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Of course- but at the same time, though (and trying to dance around the subject with how badly the last thread flamed out)...be fair. Most of those things except for Deflategate and arbitrary fines for celebrating TDs could have a case against the WWE for similar problems (and Deflategate, which depending on whether you're a Patriots fan or Patriots hater, could be seen as "They're punishing the best team in the league for arbitrary reasons just because of how good they are and not wanting the cream to rise to the top!" vs. "They're punishing the Patriots and FINALLY killing their push as the top team in the league, listening to how much we hated them since Spygate!"...which sounds similar to a lot of complaints by fans about WWE as well. 

All great points also. I wasn't trying to argue with you, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way-- I was just sort of saying that as miserly as that guy can be, concussion protocol is at the bottom of the list for me.

For the record, I am in favor of killing the push :)

• Like 1

The Mojo Rawley thing has me wondering, how many current WWE'ers are former college players? Ones I know off the top of my head are: 

Mojo: Maryland
Roman Reigns: Georgia Tech
Goldberg: Georgia
John Cena: Springfield
Titus O'Neill: Florida
Big E: Iowa
Baron Corbin: Northwest Missouri State
Tino Sabbatelli: Oregon State (All Pac-10 and helped end USC's three-year undefeated run in conference!) 
Bray Wyatt: Troy

I also remember that God-awful wrestler Ricky Ortiz was an All-WAC defensive end at Tulsa, and an XFL product! 

16 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

All great points also. I wasn't trying to argue with you, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way-- I was just sort of saying that as miserly as that guy can be, concussion protocol is at the bottom of the list for me.

For the record, I am in favor of killing the push :)

I didn't take it as an argument, so don't worry about it. And for the killing the push...well, nobody's perfect. :P

Still, the sweet spot for a new XFL would probably be a new basketball thread- not only for those reasons, but because it seems similar to what WWE does well:

The Harlem Globetrotters would be WWE's closest rival on a "sports entertainment" as a thing.

Most of the best things for a good basketball player are similar to a good wrestler: The best in both are placesetters who can make their teammates/opponents better. If you have one otherworldly skill in both sports, you can have a career for as long as you want to, even if it's all you bring to the table. You need to have a mix in both who know their role and won't rock the boat- and if people want a bigger role, it could potentially sink the whole thing....

15 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Isn't she filming a movie?

A couple of them. She just did a movie with Nicolas Cage and Gina Gershon where I think she might be playing a Lesbian who has interest in Gershon's character. So basically it's the ultimate late 90's movie about 20 years late.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3481634/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Vince would just buy the Globetrotters and try to blow everyone's mind by parity booking them against the Generals.

Luckily, they are a traveling team, so he would likely only have them lose in MSG. 

• Like 3

Do you guys think the dip in week two would have been as dramatic without the generator incident? 

Also, watching that, you can see the parts of Vince that make him as bad a conman as Trump. Thankfully, Vince's hustle isn't nearly as harmful on a large scale. But the similarities in their defiance of the "elites," their insecurities, their hyperbolic over-promising... It was all on display in that 30 for 30. 

Finally, the only other 30 for 30 I've seen was roughly half of the Four Falls of Buffalo installment. Are they all that good? Because without being super invested in the subject matter of either, they seem to live up to their reputation for quality. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

A couple of them. She just did a movie with Nicolas Cage and Gina Gershon where I think she might be playing a Lesbian who has interest in Gershon's character. So basically it's the ultimate late 90's movie about 20 years late.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3481634/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

So, Bound 2?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Do you guys think the dip in week two would have been as dramatic without the generator incident? 

Also, watching that, you can see the parts of Vince that make him as bad a conman as Trump. Thankfully, Vince's hustle isn't nearly as harmful on a large scale. But the similarities in their defiance of the "elites," their insecurities, their hyperbolic over-promising... It was all on display in that 30 for 30. 

Finally, the only other 30 for 30 I've seen was roughly half of the Four Falls of Buffalo installment. Are they all that good? Because without being super invested in the subject matter of either, they seem to live up to their reputation for quality. 

I noticed those similarities too. At the risk of getting another thread locked, I'll leave it at that.

And every 30 for 30 I've seen is great. The Bo Jackson one bummed me out for like a week. The Doc Gooden/Darryl Strawberry one was phenomenal too. I am eagerly awaiting the Ric Flair one, though I'm sure it will have its sad moments also.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.si.com/tech-media/2016/11/20/ric-flair-wwe-espn-30-for-30-monday-night-football-mexico-city%3Famp%3D1&ved=0ahUKEwj7v7GR7vTRAhXC7yYKHfifDpMQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNGh1EwM_p-7fOUD3uMm0Rl19xTqog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There wouldn't be much of a dip if things went smoothly.  It took them a bit before switching to another game, and it was too long for viewers to maintain interest unless they were hardcore into it.  Also, because SNL had to pretape and J-Lo was getting antsy that drastically hurt XFL's reputation somehow more than it was already getting.

And the comparison is an obvious one to me.

I watched a Raw from 2002 today and it was kind of jarring how different the show was.

-You had Jazz challenging Bubba Ray Dudley for the Hardcore Title.  Bubba Ray did a promo beforehand where he asked if Jazz was out of her mind and hadn't she seen what had happened to all the women who stepped in the ring with him.  He then said what do Trish, Mae Young, Lita all have common, he's put them all through tables.  He then said if Jazz was going to challenge him, she was going to taste his wood and laughed.  Keep in mind, Bubba Ray was a face at the time.  The actual match featured Bubba trying to dance with Jazz until she hit him with a low blow, then he beat her up, got a table and got jumped by Steven Richards.

-In a promo Bradshaw, after being attacked by Big Show the week before, said that when Big Show got back from India, he was going to "jump him from behind" which just reminds me of that "Always Pounding Ass" shirt.

-Steve Austin was in full "What?" mode where his promos went like this "Hey (What!) I'm gonna tell you a story  (What!) about a man named Jed (What!) poor moutaineer (What!), actually that's not the story I'm gonna tell ya (What!)"  It took him like 7 minutes to call out Ric Flair.  Flair had earlier blown a call in Austin's PPV match with Undertaker, so Flair offered to referee his match with JBL against Scott Hall and X-Pac.  Flair asked to meet with Debra to try to talk her into convincing her husband that Flair was on his side, Debra slapped him as a message from Austin.  Then during the match, Flair conveniently "missed" X-Pac's foot being on the ropes and asked Austin afterwards if that meant they were even now.  Austin said no.  Austin, at this point, was really the most unlikable babyface in all of wrestling.

-Undertaker cut a promo where he called out Hulk Hogan, then said he let Hogan win their previous match so that when he beat Hogan it would make all his fans sad.  Jerry Lawler said "Wait, did Undertaker just say he lost his match on purpose?!", Jim Ross just chose to ignore it.

-Before a commercial break, Jim Ross said that when they came back "Brock Lesnar is going to explore Planet Stasiak!"  Thank God he only wrestled him.  Brock was beating guys with knockouts at this point and power-bombed Stasiak to knock him out.  Crowd is already super into him, save for the ones chanting "Paul E! Paul E!"

-Main Event was William Regal vs. Hulk Hogan.  Regal asked him to have tea with him, Hogan beat him up, then Undertaker came in before the match really began.  I remember this a lot in WWE around this time, they spent two hours hyping a main event, only for said main event to last seconds because of a run-in.

It's weird, it's a very different show, but I can't honestly say it was any more entertaining or easy to watch than current 3 hour Raws in all honesty.  I actually think WWE clamping down on the language was probably a good idea, everybody sounds the same here, it's all "Kick your ass!" here and "You're a bitch!" there.  It's pretty tiresome, really.

• Like 2

The thing about the XFL then and if it were to be attempted again (and there is a spring league starting this year, I think) is that it will never be anything more than TNA to WWE. I am not sure Vince could accept that. Trying to establish a true "alternative" to the NFL would take an incredible amount of money and the acceptable outcome of losing quite a bit of money for many years. Just like anyone who would want to create a true alternative to WWE. 

I also don't think that creating an alternative to the NFL is necessary in 2017. If anything, the NFL is oversaturated at this point. 

Maybe if Vince wants to get back into sports, he can figure out a way to Make Baseball Great Again. There's a sport in need of a makeover in terms of presentation and some of the way that the game is paced. 

8 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Triple Post!!!  I have never seen a 30 for 30 that i didn't enjoy.  Most are pretty amazing.  

They had one about fantasy sports that was terrible. Most of the ones I have seen have been outstanding.