DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] for FEBRUARY 22, 2017

RIPPA

PER WON

- Peyton Royce defeated Liv Morgan and Ember Moon for the right to become the number one contender for Asuka's title.

- Pete Dunne defeated Mark Andrews

Great match. Andrews missed a shooting star press when Dunne got his knees up. Dunne later hit his pumphandle face slam for the victory.

- Bobby Roode defeated No Way Jose

This had a lot of entertainment from Jose until Roode cut him off and took control. They worked a long match that Roode won with his DDT. Kassius Ohno returned to NXT after the match and said he wants what Roode has. They had a scuffle and Ohno sent Roode over the top and told him to get out of his ring.

PER PWI

Week 3

- Triple Threat Match to determine the #1 contender for the NXT Women's Championship: Peyton Royce def. Ember Moon and Liv Morgan to become number one contender.

- Pete Dunne def. Mark Andrews

- Bobby Roode def. No Way Jose 

Post match: Bobby Roode comes back to attack No Way Jose. Kassius Ohno's music hits. Roode escapes, but grabs a mic. He asks who Ohno thinks he is. Ohno says he's been to 40 states, 20 countries and has taken everything he wants.  Now he's here for unfinished business.  Roode says he's a fighting champion, and says he'll give Ohno a match once he takes his jacket off. Roode sneak attacks Ohno, chopping or his leg. Roode keeps working on the knee, but Ohno eventually makes the comeback and clears the ring.

• 3 weeks later...

Dunne/Andrews was fucking great as expected, Dunne really needs to be on NXT going forward, he's Regal reincarnated. 

Hero returning in fake yeezys, Kanye inspired merch and kneepads under his jeans made him look like the biggest goober in Full Sail and that takes some doing, outside of looking like he was spun in some fuccboi laboratory his return was pretty good.

Royce showed a bit of Emma there. It's just too bad the down under gals are heads and shoulders above the division character-wise.

Oh look, the try hard Brits steal the show for the second week in a row. (I bet ya Mandrews is just waiting for his green card to clear before going full time on 205.)

Jose looking like a fish out of water doing the 360 ride on Roode was pretty funny. Speaking of which, Roode's dead fish flop to the outside was glorious.

And Ohno's shoe was clearly weighted, knocked Roode clear out of the ring.

49 minutes ago, EVA said:

Would it be considered contentious to put forward the notion that Mandrews is better than Ospreay?

The only Osprey I've seen was his ROH TV stuff and the first one in NJ against Ricochet.  Considering how much TNA bungled Mandrew's run it's taking some getting used to seeing him be that damn good.  But so far yes, yes he is definitely better than Osprey.

They are different. Andrews will be happy to spend 90% of the match bumping and selling his ass off, but not in an overly pretentious manner so as to steal the heel's spotlight like Ziggler. That alone sets him apart from pretty much every other guy out there today because everybody has to have half of the match and if they are losing they'll want over 60%. So for him to give pretty much the entire match and lose is unique. And it's not just wwe agents telling him to do that because he does it elsewhere. 

Ospreay is fucking great and I'm not going to let the DVDVR counter thought ruin him for me. Yeah, he can be too much at times of course, but his Shibata feud has proven to me he can trim some of the excess off and what remains is one of the most gifted chain wrestlers and high flyers. 

I think what I prefer about Andrews is that most of his flippy stuff is done in service of counters or hope spots, so it looks like all his acrobatics are necessary to escape whatever predicament he's in, as opposed to Ospreay who just adds at least one flip and/or twist to everything he does because...adding more flips and twists make things hurt more?

I have liked the Ospreay/Shibata matches, but Shibata is the one guy I've seen ho's been able to rein him in.  Likely because there aren't many people, let alone skinny Brits, who aren't going to do EXACTLY what that motherfucker says.

I will say I hate the Stuntdog as part of Andrews' regular moveset.  It works for the Dunne matches because he uses the X-plex as one of his big moves, but most of the time it just comes off as some meta YOU CAN'T SUPLEX MANDREWS shit when guys just randomly start going for vertical suplexes during the home stretch.

• Like 1

Some of the flips make sense though, particularly the kicks so as to add more velocity. Not everybody should be selling for 90% of the match, so what works for Andrews won't necessarily work for Will. Hopefully he learns to focus his high flying off of his performances with Shibata. Dude made Vader look as good as humanly possible in 2016. That's a special feat and Vader is one of my favourites. 

Wholeheartedly agree on the stun dog. 

I prefer Mandrews, I think because he is such a pure baby face. Not only is he a terrific seller, but he's so genuinely likeable that it makes him a really endearing underdog figure. I actually think Ospreays future really lies as a heel. His 2/3 falls match with Martin Kirby at the WCPW show I went to last year was the match of the night, and a lot of that was due to how Ospreays worked as a smug dick heel. It also meant he totally toned down his move set, still getting a huge response, which can only be good for his body as he gets older.

• Like 1

Hah! Forgot about that and I just listened to that. I would say that I couldn't believe Jericho forgot about Konnan throwing his shoe at people, but Jericho's memory seems worse than Foley's at times.