DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, Zimbra said:

I have extremely negative feelings about LG using an Ol Dirty Bastard song to sell washers.

I'm still dancing while throwing laundry in as my dog sits on a bed in some kind of shelving space next to the machine? What a weird ad.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any and every commercial that uses that schmaltzy "gonna make this place your home" song can fuck right off. 

When I was growing up, some bands looked for "crossover" appeal, defined as "your stuff will be played on genre stations AND top 40!"  Now "crossover" means "your stuff will get played in TV commercials!"  It feels like a lot of artists and bands are just glorified jingle writers, creating music aimed specifically at getting ad play instead of creating art.  Imagine Dragons, I'm looking t you.

A few years back, there was a group called Capitol Cities who had that big crossover song "Safe and Sound."  I read that these guys actually were ad agency folks who formed a band.  That really says something about the state of the music industry when bands are writing jingles and jingle writers are forming bands.  Nice Venn diagram, there.

Edited by Technico Support

22 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Any and every commercial that uses that schmaltzy "gonna make this place your home" song can fuck right off. 

When I was growing up, some bands looked for "crossover" appeal, defined as "your stuff will be played on genre stations AND top 40!"  Now "crossover" means "your stuff will get played in TV commercials!"  It feels like a lot of artists and bands are just glorified jingle writers, creating music aimed specifically at getting ad play instead of creating art.  Imagine Dragons, I'm looking t you.

A few years back, there was a group called Capitol Cities who had that big crossover song "Safe and Sound."  I read that these guys actually were ad agency folks who formed a band.  That really says something about the state of the music industry when bands are writing jingles and jingle writers are forming bands.  Nice Venn diagram, there.

"The song was also used in a German Vodafone commercial,[10] in a television commercial in the United States and Canada for the 2014 Mazda 3, and in an Air New Zealand in-flight safety video.[11] The song "Center Stage" was featured on ESPN's First Take where they played a short segment of the retro sounding track before going to commercial breaks."

If that was there intent, it worked for at least one album cycle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Match.com commercial with Satan from Legend hooking up with a chick is surreal. 

I guess that is Ryan Reynolds under the (painfully heavy) makeup. Curry sure wouldn't have done it again. 

EDIT: And apparently they made more than one of them

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biggest thing annoys me about he insurance commercial with people driving with stuff on top of their car is not only the awful music that is being played but my parents constantly having to tell me that there is no way that you can drive with a fishbowl on top

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 9:49 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Is there any "brand" (AKA corporation) that has any more irritating commercials than Old Navy? Every time I see one I feel the urge to kill. Surely there has to be something worse from the past? Or not?

Progressive insurance and maybe Sonic.