DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

Hey, that isn't fair. Stop overestimating the amount of people that watch Christine. Also, we get the lawyer ads on TV all the time up here as well and I live in a far less populated area than Minneapolis and such. Nothing like William Shatner shilling your stupid law firm.

I thought I had dreamed this insane commercial, but it turns out the ad really does exist. If only the orphans had used manners! It's from a foundation with questionable sanity. Can't embed it. Basically, if Oliver Twist had just used manners, he'd have been treated well.

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/117-Oliver-With-A-Twist

You see those type of commericals on WGN America quite a bit. BTW both Fred Thompson and Henry Winkler have  a reservation in hell for pushing that reverse mortage crap. . . 

I can always tell when I need to alter what I am doing based on commercials. When a show I'm watching has reverse mortgage and med alert commercials it is time to go out and find something to do. This is common in the day time as apparently old folks really like the history channel. I know I have stayed up too late when the commercials are slow motion commercials of animals in shelters and feed the children for 10 cents a day or however much they want now. 

The worst is here in Philly the television channels are picked up in New Jersey and Delaware as well. So during election time we get political ads from 3 fucking states.

The worst is here in Philly the television channels are picked up in New Jersey and Delaware as well. So during election time we get political ads from 3 fucking states.

At that point, I think I would burn down my house.

Aweseome but You're missing Slimon Bros.!

Yeah, it's almost ten months later, but for the sake of completeness:

Everyone should watch this just for the outfits.  2:20 I swear Bob Slyman is wearing tights...like Robin Hood style tights.

1:10: shirt unbuttoned..crucifix bathed in chest hair.

• Like 1

At that point, I think I would burn down my house.

Live in the right part of Central Jersey so you get the NYC stations as well as Philly. 5 states during Election Season (CT ads run on NYC stations.). I think we're the only ones who get that.

The lawyer ad talk gives me a chance to plug one of my favourite podcasts - 99% Invisible. They recently did an episode on this very subject - http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/call-now/

Here's a snippet from the introductory article (for those who don't feel like listening to an awesome show):

Back in the 19th century, you’d see ads for attorneys on the front page of newspapers, alongside ads for doctors, and saddle and harness manufacturers. But in 1908, the American Bar Association put in new rules declaring that  self-laudation (that is, speaking well of oneself) “defies the traditions and lower the tone of our high calling and are intolerable.”

Business cards were okay, but not much beyond that. The ban lasted until 1976, when  the Law Clinic of Bates and O’Steen ran a small classified ad in the Arizona Republic. The Arizona Bar  suspended the two lawyers (but only for a week or so). Bates and O’Steen appealed the case all the way to the US Supreme Court. And, in the now infamous Bates vs.  State Bar of Arizona, the court ruled that lawyers have the same freedom of speech as everybody else–and that speech extends to advertising.

That pretty much opened up the flood gates.

Today, laws governing lawyer ads vary state by state. Florida, Texas, and Iowa have some of the stricter regulations, although reprimands for breaking them are not that severe.

Massachusetts and Connecticut, meanwhile, are like the wild west of lawyer ads.

The rare times I watch an American station, it's wall to wall lawyer ads, insurance ads and drug ads. I'm so glad Canada doesn't do this bullshit. Well, except for the insurance ads but they're mostly tame.

I should also include this ad from the link. Giant fucking explosions!

Anyone who base who they vote for on election ads shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Oh HELLS yes.

This x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

Unfortunate considering ads typically aim for the "swing voter," who 99% of the time decide general elections. (But given the time here, I'm assuming you're talking about a primary election, where the further out you go the greater chance you have of winning. Also ironic considering primary/base voters are the ones most informed about issues, and thus not the ones who need ads to sway their decision-making anyway. See: Cantor, Eric.)

We don't have a lot of ambulance-chasing ads here, and no real tacky ones, but we've got a ton of attorneys willing to help you get on disability.

Election ads are single-handedly keeping TV stations afloat. A company that owned both a TV station and a newspaper in my market practically gave their newspapers away just to be rid of them while keeping the TV stations. The number one reason (besides that newspapers are dying) - TV stations get wall-to-wall political ads and newspapers don't. That corporations are people decision was the greatest gift to TV stations since the infomercial.

We don't have a lot of ambulance-chasing ads here, and no real tacky ones, but we've got a ton of attorneys willing to help you get on disability.

Election ads are single-handedly keeping TV stations afloat. A company that owned both a TV station and a newspaper in my market practically gave their newspapers away just to be rid of them while keeping the TV stations. The number one reason (besides that newspapers are dying) - TV stations get wall-to-wall political ads and newspapers don't. That corporations are people decision was the greatest gift to TV stations since the infomercial.

If you can afford to:

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddow/52814807#52814807

subscribe to your local newspaper.

The number one reason (besides that newspapers are dying) - TV stations get wall-to-wall political ads and newspapers don't. That corporations are people decision was the greatest gift to TV stations since the infomercial.

The companies that make printing presses are certainly going out of business, but newspapers/organizations certainly aren't. People will always be willing to pay for quality information and journalism, the only issue is the medium in which said organizations use to reach readers. (Okay, perhaps papers like the Tulsa Daily and other small-town papers could potentially shut down for good, but brand names like WSJ, NYT, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, etc. will ALWAYS have a loyal, paying subscriber base)