DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

I think the vortex bottle, pop-top cans, etc are made for college kids shotgunning beers.  It's because there's nothing really to distinguish the different beers.  If you swapped a Bud Light with a Coors Light, I'd wager 90% of people couldn't tell the difference.

Oh and I just thought of this one - not really annoying per se, but the new Subway ad about their bread has like a 2 second blip about "no azodicarbonamide" - that's a compound used to make dough more pliable... and make yoga mats flexible.  Yum. Eat fresh.  Though I supposed if you're eating crap like their Fritos subs (thank fucking Christ they stopped those ads) you really don't care about what's going into your body anyway.

I would absolutely be in love with the Wendy's red head if she at least had a B cup.  I mean I wonder if her breasts are sunken in she is so flat chested

More than a mouthful's a waste (cue rimshot).

I don't care how awful she acts in the commercials (and she does act annoying as hell), she's crazy, insanely hot. But hell, I think that shrew who doesn't like her husband talking to the State Farm guy is cute.

Oh yeah - knowing exactly where that dealership is makes me hate it even more.

I blame the trend of terrible people singing terrible jingles on free credit report

I would absolutely be in love with the Wendy's red head if she at least had a B cup.  I mean I wonder if her breasts are sunken in she is so flat chested

More than a mouthful's a waste (cue rimshot).

Evolution gave you two hands and opposable thumbs.  Use them!

This is like my favorite commercial right now.  It makes me want to start a business and get a website with the hope that I will discover JCVD playing the bongos in my driveway one morning when i am getting ready for work.

These are local, not national, spots, but they are some of the most annoying commercials around.  There are a bunch of them uploaded.

Okay, this is the Rebecca Black/"Friday" of local car adverts.  I tapped out after ten seconds.

Legally, they may have no choice due to some precedent. I recall Cracked saying it was that stupid case with the guy trying to get the jet from Pepsi. That may have been in jest.

I meant the part about that case being the reason for disclaimers on seemingly every stupid ad there is. PROFESSIONAL DO NOT ATTEMPT CHICKENS CAN NOT SPEAK LATIN

I meant the part about that case being the reason for disclaimers on seemingly every stupid ad there is. PROFESSIONAL DO NOT ATTEMPT CHICKENS CAN NOT SPEAK LATIN

Oh that...

I am pretty sure that disclaimer nonsense goes all the way back the McDonald's Hot Coffee thing... since that lady actually won money.

I mean most of the other ones are nonsense lawsuits that are thrown out.

I still love the dude who sued Coors Light because he wasn't fucking hot women

Regarding the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit, I had my eyes opened up about that case last year. I used to scoff and think, "What a stupid country we live in where a lady can spill hot coffee on herself and sue the company that made said coffee." However, finding out more about the case that particular chain kept their coffee something like thirty degrees hotter than they were supposed to, they did this to discourage people from being able to get free refills on their coffee. The cup the coffee was in wasn't padded enough to handle how hot it was, and she suffered serious third degree burns. We're talking her skin was obliterated down to the bones stuff here, and that is a very painful incident and recovery process. I do agree that sometimes we sue over stupid things in this country, but this is not one of those cases I'd say.

Yeah.  80 year old woman with 3rd degree burns on her groin requiring massive skin grafting.  Initially all she asked McDonalds was for $18,000 to help pay for the surgeries.  They offered her like $800 and a kind invitation to drop dead.  They could have avoided the whole thing by helping out a badly injured old lady with 1/1 billionth of their hourly earnings.

Not to change the subject, but JT's comment about law school triggered something... I am old enough to remember when doctors, hospitals, and law firms didn't advertise on TV or radio. It just wasn't done. I don't know how it is in other States, in Washington it seemed pretty low-key, here in New Mexico, every fucking ambulance chaser does TV commercials ("Better Call Saul" is not an exaggeration, it's reality here.) I don't know how well these guys present things in court, but as far as being pitchmen for their services, they are all bloody awful. We have this bald-headed fucktard whose catchphrase is "Hurt! Call Bert! Followed by, "I'll make them pay! Then I'll make them pay more to punish them!" The we have Peter Romero, who has all the presence of a zombie on The Walking Dead. Jeff Diamond, who seems like a nice old guy until you actually make the mistake of retaining his firm (as I did), and the most irritating of all, Keller & Keller, who are practically omnipresent on local TV. Is it this a New Mexico thing, or is it this bad all over?

So this is a thing all over? That makes me feel better to know that others have to suffer through this nonsense.

I was in Florida for ahwile recently and I swear...Florida, you can imagine....it was wall to wall lawyer commercials.  You'd get, like, four in a row.  It was insane.

Now, mind you, I was watching CHRISTINE at about 12:30 in the afternoon on a weekday, and I imagine the target audience is people doing just that and hoping to continue so.

Here's some advice from one local injury lawyer to all his brethren. 

http://thecarsonlawfirm.com/slogans-keys-to-make-your-own-slogan/

• Like 3

Those lawyer commercials play all the fucking time here in Minneapolis.  Back when I was out of work and didn't have cable, I got to know them by heart.  It's a big reason I don't watch TV during the day anymore, it's so annoying seeing the same commercials over and over and over again.  Some of them even have 30 minute informericals.

It's more of a national chain (or whatever you would call it) but I fucking hate the 1 800 ASK GARY commercials.  Particularly where the spokesperson (black lady) tries to "keep it real" by saying 1 800 AXE GARY.  Ugh.

The mesothemiloma ones annoy me also, especially the one with the sad sack announcer.  "You might be asking yourself how did I get meeesotheloioooma."  Are you on quaaldes, dude?

Also noticed a ton of these ambulance chasers when I've been in Vegas, even during prime time.

Basically I think commercial breaks during daytime TV (especially over the air ones) are:

* Ambulance chaser

* Shady "college" where you pay $50K for an unaccredited "degree"

* Promo for some "amazing" product that will slice cheese and buff your car

* C-list celebrity begging for money

* Same promo for the same show over and over again (yes I fucking know TMZ is on at 6:30 after Wheel of Fortune, please quit screaming it at me)