DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

At least we got Modelo out there rubbing all the anti-immigrant assholes' faces in their own shit. 

I wouldn't drink Modelo but am quite fond of their commercials.  Good for them.

22 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I kind of want to see those Corona commercials now, because I'm curious how you can simultaneously use something as a verb and make it sound like an entity.

If you watch El Rey Network they show it all the time.  If you don't have it then here's where you can view it.  And I hate myself for sullying my search history looking for this.  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dA3f/corona-extra-take-it-from-summer

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If you watch El Rey Network they show it all the time.  If you don't have it then here's where you can view it.  And I hate myself for sullying my search history looking for this.  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dA3f/corona-extra-take-it-from-summer

Oh right. Commercials can have more than one sentence. I probably should have figured that out on my own.

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

At least we got Modelo out there rubbing all the anti-immigrant assholes' faces in their own shit. 

Which is funny because Grupo Modelo owns Corona.

I've never seen that clip.  It's amazing.  I remember the type of car commercials it spoofed and I grew up in Baltimore around the time these types of TV spots were in their heyday.  Here's the story behind the spoof:

This highly over the top commercial was originally produced as a joke in 1990 for a faux award show put on be the Advertising Association of Baltimore called The Ad Follies. The AAB searched for agencies willing to produce ad spoofs mocking the top agencies in the city despite the impending threat that people working on these spoofs may place their jobs in jeopardy for doing so. The production was conducted at television studio WBFF and all of the footage originates from car manufacturer promotional videos and generic stock footage. The writer and narrator of the copy are still both unknown.

The video was never intended to be shown outside of The Ad Follies show because of the vulgarity and the possibilities of being viewed by the mocked. Copies were only distributed to people who worked on production and to WBFF employees following the screening.

YouTube user unusualsuspectmm, who uploaded the "F You Baltimore" version to YouTube, came across the tape while working at a video production facility. A customer brought in the commercial on a VHS tape wanting it transferred to DVD and he encouraged the employees to make a copies for themselves.

On a trivia note, WBFF TV was the first station owned by the group that would later become Sinclair Broadcasting.

That car commercial reminds me of a NSFW Language classic spoof commercial.

This is Chick Lambert spoofing one of his own My Dog, Storm commercials that actually fired shots the My Dog, Spot ad campaign run by legendary car salesman, Cal Worthington. 

Chick Lambert was Ralph Williams's brother-in-law.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

"What is something that will be used twice, then sit in the garage for five years before being sold at a garage sale?", Alex.

I just know that somewhere on the internet there is a video of normal women nearly crippling themselves trying to use that damn thing like there has to be some outtake video of women trying to use a Thighmaster and having it recoil and smash through the drywall in their house or flip out and break their wall mounted HDTV set.

• Haha 2

Some day a group of well-meaning alien academics are going to assemble a collection of these workout devices (including this, the the thighmaster, the shake weight, the tug toner, the free flexor, the ab rocket, the facial fitness PAO, etc.) into a diorama exhibit about the intense training that must have been done for applicants into the human adult film industry.

• Haha 3

Look on the bright side. Many many kids may have better lives when their spit sample comes back as the following:

ATHLETIC PROMISE: TRACE LEVELS APPROACHING INFINITE NEGATIVE

GENETIC APTITUDES DETECTED: COMIC BOOK COLORIST

GENETIC PREDICTIVE MATRIX: WELL-SUITED TO GIG ECONOMY. WILL PAY FOR YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS IN 20 YEARS

Other genetic Notes: ALSO DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT CAMPING AND FISHING SO STOP WITH THAT TOO

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...