DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

I saw this thread and it made me think about the Lay's commercial, which I have often thought about (Because the channels I watch seem to run it every break) where the girl is in her apartment with a bag of original Lay's and says something about why are there so many different flavours of Lay's then it cuts to a shot of the same girl with her hair slightly curled  with a red top (matching the red bag of Ketchup Lay's) playing with a bunch of puppies saying about how sometimes you feel a little more playful then says "Growing up is overrated" and cuts back to the first (same) girl going "Totally overrated" and I have often wondered what exactly is going on here.  I figured, at some point, the concept was about this girl in different outfits that match her chip bags and slightly tweaked appearance demonstrating different aspects of her personality, but then that that was too expensive and they just cut it down to a shortened version that doesn't quite make sense but is short enough that most people are just going to ignore.  But, not me because I have thought about it a bunch.  And it turns out that, yes, there was a longer version.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ir52/lays-so-many-flavors#

It still baffles me that they reshot the dialogue though and into something that doesn't really make sense.

It reminds me of that one shitty Canadian insurance ad that is made to look like the 1970s and you have the girl made up kinda like Foxy Brown-ish and she asks the guy "Whatchu doin, baby?" and he says he's having to count out the distance from his place to a hydrant or something and her and the other girl go "Total drag!" and there's two awesomely awkward things about it.  One, is that as he counts the steps, they play some disc-y music and the Foxy Brown-ish girl does this cool 1970s finger-snapping/head-bob thing and looks cool doing it, while the white girl beside her clearly hasn't completely understood what she's supposed to be doing so she just kind of sneers while she snaps her fingers, completely changing the tone of what she's supposed to be doing, looking annoyed or disgusted.  Two, is that they released a shortened version of the commercial that cuts off the "baby" and it's so abruptly cut off and edited it out, that it COMPLETELY changes the tone of the question.  So it goes from her-sounding curious, to sounding completely pissed-off: "Whatchu doing?!"

Clearly, this virus has given me lots of time to ponder the ads I've been seeing over and over and over again.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this was made specifically for the 1990 Ninja Turtles VHS release, but everyone that I’ve ever spoken to about it only remembers it from there too. When I was like four I remember thinking, “Wow this is what being a kid is going to be like!” And I played right field too, so it was. Except for the part where I ever caught a fly ball, did anything remotely athletic, or was celebrated with a pizza party.

I played RF and caught some balls, very few left-handers or kids that would hit the ball that way. Still, never got a pizza party either. I should file a grievance.

Been watching alot of HULU lately, so I've decided, I'm NEVER EVER buying insurance from Progressive, not matter what. The one with the idiot with the sign, who somehow has a smoking hot girlfriend, is the absolute worst.

• Like 1

...I enjoy the sign guy commercials and imagine that they are depicting the final, like, 48 hours of his relationship before his girlfriend kicks him out.

• Haha 2

BTW, it's not on TV but the most hilarious current ad in the world is a Spotify ad with a dopey-sounding guy going something like "Hey have you heard the new track from No Frills grocery?  That's right, the discount grocery store! It's surprisingly awesome for a grocery store and is about physical distancing called "A Cart Apart!"  It SLAYS me every time.

12 hours ago, Zimbra said:

In retrospect my parents had the patience (and stomachs) of saints for putting up with my love of shitty buffets as a kid.

Yeah, Shoney's was the spot for me. Any place you could make your own sundae. When we finally got a Chinese buffet in town I ate there constantly. 

And now Scott Steiner owns a chain of Shoney's... I wonder if he partakes of them after the heart attack...

EDIT: And you know what I really really miss now that we got the 'rona? Shitty Chinese buffets.

Edited by Curt McGirt

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Man, that Sizzler ad is bringing up some uncomfortable feels of growing up white trash in East Baltimore and going to Sizzler out by Eastpoint Mall was a Sunday treat.

I remember going to the Bel Air Sizzler before seeing Ghostbusters II.  7-year-old me loved the movie but even at that age I could tell the food there was subpar to say the least.

But the place does have a spot in my heart because they used Laurel and Hardy clips for one of their commercials.  I remember liking them just for that since I would see the shorts.  Then I ate there.  Oh, well.

• Like 2

Golden Corral must be the opposite of the Sizzler, then.  If the Sizzler is the favorite of kids with the digestive tracts of goats, then Golden Corral is the elephant graveyard buffet of old people.  Every time we had older relatives come to visit us, we always had to go eat at fucking Golden Corral.

The Bourbon Chicken didn't taste entirely horrible, but it will give you the mud butts in no time flat.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, Shoney's was the spot for me. Any place you could make your own sundae. When we finally got a Chinese buffet in town I ate there constantly. 

And now Scott Steiner owns a chain of Shoney's... I wonder if he partakes of them after the heart attack...

EDIT: And you know what I really really miss now that we got the 'rona? Shitty Chinese buffets.

I don't think I ever ate anything but breakfast at a Shoney's, but fat lil Zimbra could absolutely fuck up their breakfast buffet.

I was mostly a Ryan's Steakhouse kid, except for the couple of years there was a Luby's open in our mall.

The sailor kissing his girlfriend near the end has to be the least passionate thing ever put on film.  I figure your average tax preparation how to video would be more exciting.

Sizzler will always have a soft spot in my heart for reminding me of my grandmother, who always wanted to take me and my wife there when we'd go visit her. 

I'm not sure if I've ever eaten Golden Corral sober.  There weren't exactly a lot of choices in College Station in the late 80s/early 90s, so we'd end up there occasionally.  I vaguely remember once being too drunk to order, and a buddy of mine having to order the buffet for me.

Edited by Robert C
Edited because I can't spell
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Robert C said:

The sailor kissing his girlfriend near the end has to be the least passionate thing ever put on film.  I figure your average tax preparation how to video would be more exciting.

Sizzler will always have a soft spot in my heart for reminding me of my grandmother, who always wanted to take me and my wife there when we'd go visit her. 

I'm not sure if I've ever eaten Golden Corral sober.  There weren't exactly a lot of choices in College Station in the late 80s/early 90s, so we'd end up there occasionally.  I vaguely remember once being too drunk to order, and a buddy of mine having to order the buffet for me.

Did you still attempt to navigate the buffet drunk, and if so how much pudding ended up on you?

That reminds me of the time I went to IHOP so drunk that the server insisted that my friend take me to the hospital. I guess I walked into the glass door leaving, thankfully not breaking it. Of course I remember nothing of this. And did not go to the hospital. +1 for the drunx

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1