DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

On 5/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, Curt McGirt said:

If I see/hear this Chance the Rapper/Backstreet Boys mashup commercial again, I am jumping off a bridge. 

WALKING LIKE A TACO!

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite commercials from the late 90s:

1. How does a kid that's max 11 or 12 know who Robert Loggia is? Are his parents such shit parents they showed their son Scarface? Maybe it was Lost Highway since this commercial came out about a year after Lost Highway. 

2. The look on mom's face suggests Robert Loggia had his way with her. They may have even gotten high on Loggia's own supply.

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I too was about that age and didn't know who Loggia was; I figured the joke was like one of those Simpsons ones I didn't get so I went ahead and laughed anyway.

I hadn't seen Scarface yet until I was in my 20's and doing coke. At the time of that commercial, the only things he was in that I saw were Independence Day and Lost Highway, but I didn't really know who he was.

I first saw Scarface on TV probably around 15-16? And then went out and bought the double-VHS from a local Blockbuster. I was kicking myself for not having seen the film before then -- I mean it had a chainsaw massacre and everything! 

The funny thing is even though I've now seen Scarface probably close to 50 times I had to think of who Loggia played in it for a half-second earlier. For me, the first thing I thought of was his role in The Sopranos. 

On 6/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

1. How does a kid that's max 11 or 12 know who Robert Loggia is? Are his parents such shit parents they showed their son Scarface? Maybe it was Lost Highway since this commercial came out about a year after Lost Highway. 

2. The look on mom's face suggests Robert Loggia had his way with her. They may have even gotten high on Loggia's own supply.

Maybe he knew him from Necessary Roughness?  That was probably the first movie I saw Robert Loggia in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatling said:

Maybe he knew him from Necessary Roughness?  That was probably the first movie I saw Robert Loggia in.

Maybe he just knew him as the old man that would come over and spend a lot of time with mommy, mostly behind closed doors, while daddy was at work.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

A big h4chunk of the Saint Seiya action figure commercials from the 80s. For the mid to late 80s these were some fuckin AWESOME action figures. Bandai has since topped them with the Myth Cloth line

James

On 6/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Edit because others pointed out Necessary Roughness and Big.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

As a kid I knew who Robert Loggia was because of Over the Top. He was the asshole grandpa who didn't want the kid to stay with Sylvester Stallone. I also knew him because I randomly saw Opportunity Knocks in the theater when I was 10.

• Like 1

Every single time I see this Modelo commercial on Viceland with the soldier that lost her leg in Iraq I quote out loud Bushwick Bill from the Geto Boys rapping "cut off my leg and let me die in Iraq". 

That is all. RIP Bushwick, you crazy motherfucker.

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 6/27/2019 at 4:26 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I definitely didn't see that coming. For a while, it seemed like it could have been a Volkswagon ad or one of those Truth ads paid for by Phillip Morris.

I was definitely thinking Trojan by the time the kid peeps himself some half-naked girl.  The OP's first follow-up was pure gold, though.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, cwoy2j said:

As a kid I knew who Robert Loggia was because of Over the Top. He was the asshole grandpa who didn't want the kid to stay with Sylvester Stallone. I also knew him because I randomly saw Opportunity Knocks in the theater when I was 10.

Why stay with Sylvester Stallone when you can stay with...you guessed it...

Frank Stallone

• Haha 1