DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

I hate those commercials, too.  More nebulous fake statistics from a dating website plus a snarky attitude.  Ok, it leads to more relationships, but it doesn't take into account the 20 horrible dates with shitty people that you had to go out on to find 1 decent one because online dating sucks.  Also the one commercial where the guy laments about the one who was on Match but "got away" and he's still stalking her is suuuuper creepy, especially the way he's petting his dog.

I sure do wish they'd stop showing the Second Skin bra commercial from True & Company during NBA playoff games..

I'm kinda tired of having my significant other throwing heavy, breakable objects at my head.

On the negative tip, does anyone -- ANYONE -- seriously buy into this specialty razor horseshit? I'm sure my four-pack of cheapo triple blades work just as fine as some rich white entrepreneur's version that he's hawking with a funny ad on national television. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

On the negative tip, does anyone -- ANYONE -- seriously buy into this specialty razor horseshit? I'm sure my four-pack of cheapo triple blades work just as fine as some rich white entrepreneur's version that he's hawking with a funny ad on national television. 

Not only do I whole heartedly believe in the cheap plastic razor.  My Aetna benefits give me a 15% discount on CVS brand generics, so my bathroom drawer is fully stocked with CVS triple blade plastic razors with moisturizing strips.

• Like 1

After binging on a season of a show on Hulu and seeing the Merck HPV commercial about 20 times, a big FUCK YOU to that company.  Trying to shame parents of kids with cancer?  FUCK YOU.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2017 at 1:45 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I haven't bought anything pricier than a twenty-nine cent Bic since I was sixteen. I also haven't wasted money on shaving cream in over forty years. I get a nice close shave every morning (or howeveroften I feel like it) and don't worry about cost. Specialty razors, tri-blades, quad-blades, fuck all that, you only need one sharp blade to do the job.

While speaking of commercials we all hate, the motherfucker that thought up that puppymonkeybaby shit needs to die a slow death.

• Like 4

I shave with a disposable (it's a triple blade disposable, to be fair, but it's far from the happy horseshit @Curt McGirt and @OSJ are talking about) and generic shaving cream every morning and it's fine.  I get ingrown hairs and crazy ass Brundlefly mutant follicles once in a while but I seriously doubt any 12-blade laser guided super razors would help there to any appreciable degree.

Most important thing with shaving is to do it frequently. If i did it every day the way I generally do (electric to start, follow up with a 3 blade disposable that I use for too long) I'm fine. If I go 3 days without shaving, I'm in trouble.

That's a real Catch-22 if you have sensitive skin like me, though.  If I shave more than about every 3 days my skin gets irritated and breaks out like crazy.  If I wait my stubble gets too long and my skin gets torn up and I get ingrown hairs.  Damned if I do, damned if I don't.  

Of course now I'm married and in my mid 30s and don't give a shit what I look like so I just run some trimmers over everything a couple of times a week and call it good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, I think the Boss Mom in the new Avon marketing campaign is hot.

If there is anything in the news about me dying in a car accident, it probably wasn't an accident.  My domestic partner will have cut my brake lines because I gawked at Boss Avon Mom one too many times.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am honestly shocked that I am posting this awesome commercial before Pete has.

The in-laws are in town so my usual internet galavanting has been curtailed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/5/2017 at 10:39 AM, OSJ said:

I haven't bought anything pricier than a twenty-nine cent Bic since I was sixteen. I also haven't wasted money on shaving cream in over forty years. I get a nice close shave every morning (or howeveroften I feel like it) and don't worry about cost. Specialty razors, tri-blades, quad-blades, fuck all that, you only need one sharp blade to do the job.

While speaking of commercials we all hate, the motherfucker that thought up that puppymonkeybaby shit needs to die a slow death.

The only times I have used anything besides a cheap bic to shave was ....

1.When I was in Army BCT.I have a extremely heavy and fast growing beard. So even though I was shaving every morning at 5am by 11am I had 5 o'clock shadow. One day in lunchtime chow line had a Captain get up in my face accusing me of not shaving. Told him I shaved every morning. So the next day he came and watched me shave. Then gave me permission to go buy an electric razor and every day I would shave with a cheap bic in the morning then before we lined up for lunch would shave with the electric razor.

2. Once I started working at the morgue and my boss didn't care if I had stubble I started taking a beard trimmer removing the guard and using that to shave. So now most of the time I got a face full of stubble. 

BTW had to start shaving when I was 12 and in the 7th grade. Here's what I am pretty sure is my 8th grade school photo so I was 13 at the time.

P1J3ZWZl.jpg

Man, this is some grade A insanity from the lot of you on the shaving front.

Are the 87-blade monstrosities horrible? Yes. I always flash back to the Mad TV sketch about this when I see them in the store. "Blade 14 removes the second dermis layer, preventing you from ever growing hairs in that spot again!" etc. They're all of the problems of a standard disposable, only with flashier packaging.

But I'd get some awful ingrown whiskers if I don't get my face warmed well, use some kind of real shaving cream or proper shaving soap - Cremo is a solid brand - and shave with an old-school safety razor (the ones that take double-sided razor blades). I bought one at an antique store for $6 and it changed my fucking life, used that thing for 10 years before I bought anything else. I'd eat a disposable razor before I'd use it on my face. You bunch of goddamned savages; madness, I tell you.