DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

If loving 11 Cajun herbs and spices is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Holy shit, I thought Bojangle's had gone out of business and was absorbed into Popeyes.  Apparently:

1) I'm wrong about that

2) There's a Boojangle's right up the street form my job

What a beautiful day this is turning out to be.

You would get ran out of town for questioning the existence of Bojangle's down here.

• Like 1

If loving 11 Cajun herbs and spices is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Holy shit, I thought Bojangle's had gone out of business and was absorbed into Popeyes.  Apparently:

1) I'm wrong about that

2) There's a Boojangle's right up the street form my job

What a beautiful day this is turning out to be.

You would get ran out of town for questioning the existence of Bojangle's down here.

LOL!  Info online is sketchy but, from what I gather, any restaurants north of DC closed down sometime in the late 80s/early 90s.  Since I lived in Baltimore and this was pre-Internet, I assumed they were bought out by Popeye's or something since all the Bojangles near me disappeared and most were replaced by Popeye's.  Checking their site now, it looks like all Maryland locations are in the DC suburbs only, which is cool with me because that's where I live now.

Man KFC back in the 80's was the best shit ever...I guess they started to fall off in the 90's when people started to expect fried chicken to be healthy or something...

On a different note, is there anyone else who's really grown to hate Liberty Mutual commercials? You know, the ones where people stand there with the Statue of Liberty in the background while they prattle on...like the girl who thinks its unfair for your insurance company to penalize you for causing an accident, or the guy who doesn't understand the concept of depreciation, or especially the "you loved Brad" girl...

Yeah I hate those too. Sad thing is, people really are that clueless about insurance. I'm so glad I don't work in a call center anymore and have to talk to idiots like that.

Those commercials are annoying but, to be fair, car insurance is some fucking bullshit.  I don't pay for my doctor out of pocket because I'm afraid of my health insurance rates going up, but that's how we treat car insurance.  It's more of a tax you pay to be able to drive than actual insurance.  It's is a sweet racket to be in, since most people are afraid to make claims and the insurance company makes money for doing nothing.

One time my car insurance rates went up and I had a pristine record and no accidents or claims.  I called and asked why and they told me it was because they had a rough winter and a lot more accidents and claims than anticipated.  So my car insurance went up because other people had accidents and/or their actuaries fucked up their projections.

If, on some sort of remote chance that Alli Simpson happens to read this message board, I just wanted to convey to her that there are times in your career when you do need to put your artistic integrity ahead of paying the rent.  

I know all the excuses that actors and singers make when they do a commercial project: "I have to feed my family" or "I have bills to pay" but there are times when 'selling out' is completely indefensible, and in the case of the "Splatoon Theme Song," this is one of them.  This song is so fucking irritating and I feel so sorry for the people who sell TVs at Target and Walmart who have to listen to this song every five minutes.

The only defensible reason that Ms. Simpson had to agree to sing this song is if Shigeru Miyamoto was on the other side of the recording studio glass, aiming a flame thrower at her parents' heads.

Same goes for the woman who sings the Blue Cross/Blue Shield "We Are Here For You" song:

• Like 2

So, I watch reruns of 'King of Queens' almost every day on Peachtree TV (I LOVE that show, but it's also comforting, I can throw it on, eat some lunch, not miss anything, come back, laugh once or twice and turn it off without finishing it) and there are two commercials that drive me bannaners

Checkers Mr. Bag: Any moment when I am being subjected to a Mr. Bag ad is the worst part of my day, almost every time.  The voice, the stupid sexualized innuendos, the goddamn voice, the vague racism of it all.  It's the worst except for that one ad for an internet provider where in the first ad the irritating woman explaining it stops halfway and goes "Whaaaat?" like she had to stop filing in the middle of the ad.  Well, that one was irrirating, but then they made a second one where the crew interrupts her and I can't stand the way she says "inner net", or when she says to the "director" "Excuse me, they're talking" then goes "Guys!" and sounds like the hugest bitch, and then when one of them says "It's cheaper than what I pay for coffee" and she goes "THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING!"  Those ads are like needles being jammed into my eardrums.  Just the most awful, annoying ad.  And it runs 3-4 times EVERY DAMN DAY per hour on Peachtree.  Damn you Peachtree!

It least it's somewhat counterbalanced by that Gary Michael Hays ad (I think it's them) with the guy trying so hard to enunciate his words that he sounds just like Will Ferrell playing his Southern Republican character from 'The Campaign'.  I adore trying to mimic his voice.

I'm sick of any commercial that uses an overplayed Imagine Dragons song or that fucking "OHHH COME WITH ME NOW" track.  Is every fucking musician or their team of writers and producers today writing songs with the sole intent of getting played in as many commercials and TV show promos as possible? 

I heard that god damn "Safe and Sound" song in so many ads that I had to look it up.  Turns out the band who does the song started off as TV jingle writers and were quite successful at it for years.  This at the same time makes perfect sense and is horribly cynical as fuck.  Pop music and commercial jingles are just the same damn thing nowadays. 

I guess I'm the old man yelling at a cloud but god damn.

I'm sick of any commercial that uses an overplayed Imagine Dragons song or that fucking "OHHH COME WITH ME NOW" track.  Is every fucking musician or their team of writers and producers today writing songs with the sole intent of getting played in as many commercials and TV show promos as possible?

I'm pretty sure the Kongos song was first in the film Holy Motors. Then, a couple years later, EVERYONE and their mom decided to use it. It's a four year old song by a South African band while Imagine Dragons is a pretty popular band over here right now.

I'm sick of any commercial that uses an overplayed Imagine Dragons song

I pray I never have to hear that freakin' "I bet my life on you" song again, and I've only heard it in commercials and promos for things.

• Like 1

I'm sick of any commercial that uses an overplayed Imagine Dragons song

I pray I never have to hear that freakin' "I bet my life on you" song again, and I've only heard it in commercials and promos for things.

Another one that makes me want to jab a pen in my ear.  Also, any song featured in commercials for The Biggest Loser can eat a preemptive dick. 

So, everyone hates Flo, right?  The spots where Stephanie Courtney plays an entire family are especially odious.  That said, I do like this one...

Partly because they made it look like a TV movie from my childhood, and partly because it actually has a pretty good punchline.

So, everyone hates Flo, right?  The spots where Stephanie Courtney plays an entire family are especially odious.  That said, I do like this one...

Partly because they made it look like a TV movie from my childhood, and partly because it actually has a pretty good punchline.

Actually I like the family ones the most, and she's almost attractive in the dirty blonde wig. . . .I'll show my self out. . . 

Those Arby's "We have the meats" commercials are pretty fucking insufferable. Especially the one where the guy says, "go bacon! go bacon! go bacon!" at the end. I like bacon and meat as much as the next guy but I wish the stupid fad around it would die.

• Like 1

That car commercial where the family sings "Buddy Holly" is torture. It makes those Wale commercials during Seinfeld blocks tolerable.

Their previous one was so much better.

Embrace our collective hell.

They advertise on Sirius. I hate their jingle. Cars4Kids also advertises on Sirius and they bill themselves as the "original cars 4 kids. That's cars with a 'C'!"

I can't actually find it online atm but the latest orange juice commercial with Jane Krakowski sets my teeth on edge.  I try not to be a pedant, I really do, but every time she says "50% less calories" I want to scream "Not less!  FEWER!" at the tv.