DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

I know this is petty but I actively avoid using DraftKings because I am tired of seeing Jessie Coffield on every 3rd commercial when watching games.  She seems like a cool person but if you are going to show her relentlessly like Flo from the Progressive commercial  provide a ton more stuff

• Like 1

I wondered how those promotions worked, because every commercial was some ridiculous introductory offer like, "bet one dollar and win 100 if one team lands a 3-pointer!"  And then I noticed what you "win" is not $100 in your pocket.  It is 100 dollars in credit toward more bets

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I wondered how those promotions worked, because every commercial was some ridiculous introductory offer like, "bet one dollar and win 100 if one team lands a 3-pointer!"  And then I noticed what you "win" is not $100 in your pocket.  It is 100 dollars in credit toward more bets

The worse is when you are visiting like Atlantic City and they pester you to join through their app.   Unless you are a constant visitor or join one that is used in a ton of states it feels like a complete waste.  

• Like 1

Can we please do away with the "slurping soda loudly through a straw" thing that's made its way into a bunch of commercials? As a person who can't stand eating noises, that shit is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 11:45 AM, J.T. said:

Hustlers are always hustlin'.

That reminds me of someone asking Ice T if he thought his "street cred" or whatever took a hit for doing Leprechaun in Da Hood. T said something like, "They paid me $50,000 for two days of work. If that ain't gangsta I don't know what the fuck is."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I just listened to Jello Biafra on the Trailers from Hell podcast and he brought up Ice. They were talking about the dichotomy between "Cop Killer" and playing a cop and Jello specifically asked him how he never got the tag of "sell-out" when Jello himself has gotten it for various reasons (and also said you can't trust punks at all). Ice told him if you make it out of the hood, the hood respects you for it no matter how. He also said Ice owned a car dealership at the time and was employing a bunch of guys he met in jail, though he had them on a "one strike you're out" policy. If you're giving back, then nobody's gonna complain for sure -- and that's the way it should be after all, not the complaining part but the giving back part.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I recently drove past an Applebees and was genuinely terrified they would be playing that song. Like I changed lanes to be further away from it.

Now, it's not like I go there a lot or anything but I certainly never will, not out of outrage but just out of terror that that's what it's like in there now. That they just play it constantly and force dumpy service workers to do toddler dances.

I would rather die now with some dignity than live out a natural lifetime with the shame of having eaten a meal while I let that happen around me.

• Haha 3

On 9/6/2021 at 3:05 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Just think of what kind of person sees/hears that commercial and it makes them WANT to go eat there. *shudder*

I am not going to complete shit on Applebees as I have gone there a few times.  But the concept of this commercial is that you are going on a date to this place.   If you are taking your date to an Applebees you are either

1.  Broke as hell which isn't good for your image

2.  Live in an area that is severely limited in quality dining

3.  Been dating or married for a decent amount of years and you are just going to get out of the house.   At this point eating at a KFC is a relief to them

People mentioned Drew Brees in commercials but Tom Brady is really not good in these commercials either except for maybe the Subway bread one because of the concept that it is great but he wouldn't eat if his life depended on it ?

• 2 weeks later...

I DID TOO. It was on WIXY (station motto: "WIXY While You Work"), the pop country station that plays the same five songs every hour. After I found out I can change the station I basically started a cold war where me and certain other members of the staff keep changing the channel. I used to work in the back at an expensive restaurant and brought in CDs and was always badgered by line cook Orosco, who would yell out "Handsome Boy, play Beatles!" He also always put on my CD of Sepultura's Morbid Visions for some reason, strange for a Catholic, had to be the name. One time I almost gave our GM a nervous breakdown by playing Discharge on a particularly busy Sunday. 

• Like 1