DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

The Progressive ones are awful because they show the employees as annoying and totally inept.  Like why would I buy anything from creepy-ass Flo or weird Jamie? Also they are on pretty much every commercial break on Hulu.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:07 PM, Zimbra said:

Geico has brought back the Dikembe Mutombo ad for the NCAA tourney, all is right with the world.

I had to explain that one to my mother as she thought it was dumb and is now fine with it since she had no clue who he was or why he was doing it.

I love Reese's, the peanut butter cup is one of the most perfect candies but goddamn, the "Not Sorry" ads are awful. I don't understand the idea, have some obnoxious sounding dude be sarcastic about your peanut butter and chocolate? 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 7:32 AM, Ryan said:

I had to explain that one to my mother as she thought it was dumb and is now fine with it since she had no clue who he was or why he was doing it.

Yea I had to explain it to my parents. But then neither of them watched any sports in their life.

Okay, I saw an ad for what I know deign the most useless and anger-inducing piece of technology ever. 

A smart refrigerator. 

It's a fridge with a giant cell phone/computer screen on it. Like the Mirror, the giant cell phone/computer screen you hang on your wall and exercise in front of.

You tag your groceries within and it shows you what you have inside on the screen. 

Spoiler

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST OPEN THE DOOR YOU STUPID RICH ASSHOLE?!?!?!?!

Phew... had to get that out of my system. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay, I saw an ad for what I know deign the most useless and anger-inducing piece of technology ever. 

A smart refrigerator. 

It's a fridge with a giant cell phone/computer screen on it. Like the Mirror, the giant cell phone/computer screen you hang on your wall and exercise in front of.

You tag your groceries within and it shows you what you have inside on the screen. 

Reveal hidden contents

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST OPEN THE DOOR YOU STUPID RICH ASSHOLE?!?!?!?!

Phew... had to get that out of my system. 

In ten years you’ll probably struggle to find a fridge that doesn’t have that. I’m a paranoid Luddite, and I had to go out of my way to get one that didn’t have that tech last year. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, Robert C said:

In ten years you’ll probably struggle to find a fridge that doesn’t have that. I’m a paranoid Luddite, and I had to go out of my way to get one that didn’t have that tech last year. 

Fellow paranoid luddite here!  And I work in IT.  Maybe that's why?  Anyway, fuck IoT stuff.  Let's make everything talk to everything and never ever worry about security or patch it.  Ever. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Fellow paranoid luddite here!  And I work in IT.  Maybe that's why?  

Could be.  Confession time here.  I'm a design engineer for a large chipmaker.  Worked in a number of divisions over the years including, briefly, the IoT group.

Since refrigerators were nearly impossible to find last year, it looked for a while like we'd have to get one with that crap.  I told my wife that was fine as long as we let our five year old disable it with a hammer.

• Like 3

I had to vent about it on Facebook too and told everyone to break one if they see it. A buddy of mine in Texas said he also works for a chipmaker and says they're working overtime to keep up with demand on this shit. I told him if it gets really really Skynet to try and throw a wrench in the gears, he said yeah, he'd be the leader of the Resistance haha

• Like 1

I think the way to stick it to these companies who think this kind of connectivity is a good idea would be to craft a little image or piece of code that lets your fridge think all it has inside are a collection of butt cheeks.  Just wall-to-wall butts.  Nothing but severed butts.  Not even matched pairs or anything.  Just butts.

• Haha 2

And now I just caught one for smart clothes washers. I'm sure dishwashers, microwaves, and ovens are next. Despite the fact that you have to, you know, PUT SOMETHING IN ALL OF THEM FIRST and will be therefore STANDING RIGHT THERE so you can PUSH THE BUTTONS THAT TELL THEM WHAT TO DO.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Yeah, we have a smart washer/dryer and I don't understand the use case for it at all.  I played around with it a bit when we got them and, like, I guess it's cool that I can add time to the dryer from my phone or whatever but I still need to get up to see if the clothes are still damp.  I guess the one nice thing is that my washer e-mails me when I need to run the cleaning cycle.

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:15 PM, Zimbra said:

Every day these algorithmic ads make me feel like I'm having a goddamned stroke

EoLxMcXWMAQhqmn?format=png&name=small

Oh my god it got better:

N6MhGJM.png

I spit iced tea all over my work computer.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

YouTube recommended a channel that includes, among other things, a treasure trove of commercials about wrestling or featuring wrestlers over the years.

So apparently Jesse Ventura and Nathan Lane starred in a Miller Lite commercial.

Wonder if Warrior ever got that Yugo?

The last commercial in the 1988 video -- who is the guy with the earrings?

The Giant Baba ads are gold.

There are more commercials to be found on that channel -- good way to waste an hour or two.

• Like 2

Can I just talk about how crazy it is to for me to see big name actors hawking all manor of shit in commercials?  When I grew up, you heard talk of big stars making a quick buck doing commercials in Japan, where footage wouldn't typically reach the States (where such a thing was deemed unseemly and damaging to their reputation and star aura).  Now I can watch TV and see Oscar winner Jamie Foxx promoting gambling apps and cheap glasses in the same commercial break.  It's wild, man.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, J.T. said:

Yeah, at least Ric Flair waited until he was over the hill and needed money before he started doing these Car Shield commercials.

Ice-T's the more puzzling one.  I would have thought the residuals from SVU being shown 200 times a day would be enough to pay his bills.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:09 PM, colonial said:

YouTube recommended a channel that includes, among other things, a treasure trove of commercials about wrestling or featuring wrestlers over the years.

So apparently Jesse Ventura and Nathan Lane starred in a Miller Lite commercial.

Wonder if Warrior ever got that Yugo?

The last commercial in the 1988 video -- who is the guy with the earrings?

The Giant Baba ads are gold.

There are more commercials to be found on that channel -- good way to waste an hour or two.

They have updated this up to 1999 and thankfully they are much bigger than previous versions.  Kind of cool seeing the old ECW commercials .  Also watching Onita now doing commercials include a weird one called GOOO

My favorite so far has to be the MillerMania or something like that one with Jesse Ventura facing a masked Bob Uecker with then everyone taking off masks and being someone else.  So damn goofy

On 6/14/2021 at 8:30 AM, Neil Koch said:

Ice-T's the more puzzling one.  I would have thought the residuals from SVU being shown 200 times a day would be enough to pay his bills.

Hustlers are always hustlin'.

• Haha 1