DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 ANIMATED WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Roman said:

vxc8zd.gif

I love Rick Rude (RIP) but his top rope maneuvers were the worst.  God Bless UW (RIP) for selling that near miss fist like he'd been shot in the face with a cannon.

We're also going to ignore the real life physics result where Rude breaks his hand when floating bones strike the solid bone of UW's skull from that height.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Did ppv numbers and ratings drop at all for the 6 months Simmons was champion?

I couldn't find any specifics on WCW Saturday Night ratings, but according to this site, PPV buyrates hung around the same area, although Havoc '92 did draw their best buyrate of the year - but that was probably due to the Jake-Sting feud more than Simmons.  I recall that house shows went down, though, and WCW was far more concerned about house shows in the Watts days - they would spend entire episodes of WCWSN hyping an upcoming house show at the Omni in Atlanta while completely ignoring the upcoming Clash or PPV.

Watts always seemed to book the promotion like it was a regional in Atlanta rather than an actual national competitor to WWE.  It came across really bush league, especially when the WWF is constantly touting themselves as The Worldwide Leader In Sports Entertainment.

That said, the entire night of Simmons winning the title was fantastic and a definite moment.  The angle leading up to it with Jake attacking Sting was fantastic as well.

• Like 1

On 2017-02-02 at 8:01 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

That is a man that landed and immediately thought "Holy shit, I am never doing THAT again."  I think he went to kneedrops off the top after that.

Fairly certain the recipient (Jim Powers?), was the first to suggest "never do that again." Ouch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I really regret being a 17 year old dirtbag too hung over to go see the Simmons win.  A friend called me asking if I wanted to go see the show at the Baltimore Arena but I'd gotten a little too friendly with the cheap vodka the night before.

That seemed like an awesome crowd to be part of if you did go.  I see Ron's win and always think about the one kid jumping like crazy flipping out.  Good times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I couldn't find any specifics on WCW Saturday Night ratings, but according to this site, PPV buyrates hung around the same area, although Havoc '92 did draw their best buyrate of the year - but that was probably due to the Jake-Sting feud more than Simmons.  I recall that house shows went down, though, and WCW was far more concerned about house shows in the Watts days - they would spend entire episodes of WCWSN hyping an upcoming house show at the Omni in Atlanta while completely ignoring the upcoming Clash or PPV.

Watts always seemed to book the promotion like it was a regional in Atlanta rather than an actual national competitor to WWE.  It came across really bush league, especially when the WWF is constantly touting themselves as The Worldwide Leader In Sports Entertainment.

That said, the entire night of Simmons winning the title was fantastic and a definite moment.  The angle leading up to it with Jake attacking Sting was fantastic as well.

Foley echoed that in his book. He said that Watts' vision was to turn the Omni into the MSG of the South. Foley said that WCW basically didn't promote his ppv match with Sting and opted to focus on an upcoming card at The Omni instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Wasn't that Earl that he threw?  Earl and Dave got in a shoving match after the match, Earl slugged Dave, Hogan presses Earl over everyone.

I mentioned I got the wrong referee :P

• Like 1