DVDVR Message Board

NXT FEB 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

As far as the financials and how much money NXT loses...it still doesn't mention that NXT is the best example of a loss leader in pro wrestling.

It's no different than the WCW era, where Ted Turner may have been a mark at heart, but also knew even if WCW lost a lot of money, the money was worth it because what it brought to the table (a few hours of good ratings a week) was worth the money it lost.

Same with NXT- the things the developmental system gives WWE (a state of the art training facility, an easy way to get quick R+D and get new stars with an immediate buzz and cult following around them prior to their main roster debut, and the KILLER APP that WWE can build the WWE Network around and make fans want to subscribe) equals out any money they do lose.

The others, though...that's crazy talk. You mean to tell me putting the worse and green wrestlers/trainees in the ring with the veterans and indy stars might actually make the worse and greener wrestlers actually get better? 

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I feel like I'm the only person that liked the 4 episode Titus NXT run.

Practically everyone raved about how much more effective Titus was in NXT. He developed a great edge to his gimmick which petered out on the main roster because... well, he's still pretty damn green and didn't have Zayn and Neville carry him.

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

I've had this discussion with one of my friends.  Why don't they let the lowercard guys drop down and try to find themselves in NXT?  Curtis Axel, Fandango(I honestly think he could get over if he didn't have such a one dimensional gimmick), Goldust, R-Truth, and probably 5-6 other guys could drop down work on their character and actually help get guys over.  

In NXT, Fandango would so get over because of his two dimensional gimmick. If anything, it'll actually give him a chance to develop said gimmick (like Breeze).

I wish they would 'demote' the mid to lower card guys more (like they used to). It's also an easy built in storyline to bring up guys especially for factions (so many possibilities with Sanity).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, turk128 said:

In NXT, Fandango would so get over because of his two dimensional gimmick. If anything, it'll actually give him a chance to develop said gimmick (like Breeze).

I disagree that Fandango's gimmick has any legs left.  There is no way he gets over on the main roster unless there is a gimmick change.  He's the male Emma.  He got on the main roster did his little dance, people didn't care after about 10 minutes and no one is going to take him serious if he doesn't change drastically.  He needs a hard reset.  

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I think the ship of the WWE caring if Fandango gets over already set sail and sank to the bottom of the ocean a long time ago.

I agree, but they are paying that dude, so shouldn't they try to get something out of him?

I'm really happy to see Tyler Bate and the U.K. guys getting matches on NXT. I wish that was how they used the guys from the cruiser weight classic. Actually, they should've stuck with the trophy and not created a championship but that's a different story.

I wish 205 Live was filmed at Full Sail and cruisers were rarely on Raw. 

And will we ever get any U.K. guys against regular NXT guys? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I agree, but they are paying that dude, so shouldn't they try to get something out of him?

They are. A competent enough lowcarder who can always get a reaction for his theme song that they don't have to worry about him getting too over to force them to push him.

Considering how the roster goes, that's not a bad thing for the WWE to have (or a bad gig for Fandango to be the next in the Scotty 2 Hotty/Zack Ryder role of "always over enough to be there" fun lowcarder...and considering that he and Tyler Breeze's idea to get over with a gimmick change was "they became male stripper cops", it's for the best there.

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I'm really happy to see Tyler Bate and the U.K. guys getting matches on NXT. I wish that was how they used the guys from the cruiser weight classic.

Swann & Cedric were regulars for a few months. They only stopped appearing once 205Live became a thing.

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

They are. A competent enough lowcarder who can always get a reaction for his theme song that they don't have to worry about him getting too over to force them to push him.

Considering how the roster goes, that's not a bad thing for the WWE to have (or a bad gig for Fandango to be the next in the Scotty 2 Hotty/Zack Ryder role of "always over enough to be there" fun lowcarder...and considering that he and Tyler Breeze's idea to get over with a gimmick change was "they became male stripper cops", it's for the best there.

They are fashion police/Zoolander types.

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I'm really happy to see Tyler Bate and the U.K. guys getting matches on NXT. I wish that was how they used the guys from the cruiser weight classic. Actually, they should've stuck with the trophy and not created a championship but that's a different story.

The Cruiserweight Classic was so, so good but there's about 100 things I'd change about the division that start during the tournament. The first: If you're going to make the winner the inaugural champion, for the love of all that is holy, pick someone different to launch the division. I get you can't crown Kota Ibushi when he isn't signing, ditto Zack Sabre Jr. 

But going with Perkins was ridiculous. Dude was never a top-card talent on SoCal indie shows, so I don't see how he could have realistically been expected to be the face introducing a national audience to this new concept. Speaking of indies, he had one of the most indie looks in the tournament with those cheesy joggers and wearing Nike basketball shoes. And hitting the dab a full year after it was cool. Shoulda added the Harlem Shake to his gimmick, it's just as hip now. 

Sigh. It does seem with the UK'ers that they learned their lesson a bit. 

12 hours ago, supremebve said:

Absolutely.  I really like what Breeze and Fandango are doing, and hope they get a chance to do something meaningful on the main roster.

6 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

But going with Perkins was ridiculous. Dude was never a top-card talent on SoCal indie shows, so I don't see how he could have realistically been expected to be the face introducing a national audience to this new concept. 

I think they figured his gimmick would get over more with the youths, what with the dabbing and the video games and whatnot.  

Lets be real now; was there any chance Zack Sabre Jr would have won (if he was signed) given how some of the vets were down on him (and his overall performance in the CWC)?

On the other hand, if you said Jack Gallagher should have won, sure I'll bite on that.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2017 at 10:00 PM, Eivion said:

They are fashion police/Zoolander types.

I love me some Fashion Po-Po and think they have been underused - they might have been able to do a bit more if Superstars hadn't been nixed.

Fandango's best stuff has been backstage ticklebutt ("Why don't I have chloroform?").

I don't know about strippers, but they do make me think of Brock Landers and Chest Rockwell.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 1:54 AM, Sin Carne said:

I don't know about strippers, but they do make me think of Brock Landers and Chest Rockwell.

Now I NEED to see them winning matches that end with an awkward high-five and Tyler shouting, "No one fucks with Ty and Fan!" 

On 2/16/2017 at 4:09 PM, Ramo2653 said:

I feel like I'm the only person that liked the 4 episode Titus NXT run.

I thought he was great. I absolutely loved the match with Sami, which worked really nicely as part of the long Sami Zayn Redemption arc. Titus is a guy I see as brimming with potential, whose true story would be great for a face, but in his NXT run, he showed promise as an arrogant heel. 

My usual reminder that there is a taping going on tonight so for those who want to be spoiler free you have been warned about visiting the various parts of the internet

Judging by the people who are there (and I sure Tim will say more) UCF did not buy tickets AGAIN so most likely this will be the last time they tape there.

Oh and someone clearly is getting called up because they taped a Loser Leaves NXT Match

I liked the place NXT ran tonight. It's not as big as CFE arena and it's got great seats. I'd say they drew about 500 or so people tonight. They had 2 sections blocked off for the cameras and a bunch of empty seats around. They really should stay with Full sail cause at least they sell that place out. The ticket prices for tonight were insane. Cheapest was $23 and for floor seats it was $75. Screw that.

The big thing that happened tonight was Bobby Roode beat Kassius Ohno to retain the NXT title. It was a good match but really not takeover worthy so I'm glad they did it on tv. Ohno wears a basketball jersey style shirt while wrestling and it's not really appealing. Speaking of Ohno, he beat the Drifter in a loser leaves NXT match. They did the whole Bo dallas deal where he was fighting leaving and then Ohno destroyed his guitar. Drifter should be good main eventing main event for the next couple years. 

Only two matches seem known for Takeover. Ember/Asuka and the 3 way for the tag titles. I'm guessing Shinsuke/Roode will be the main event and some type of Sanity vs Tye and friends will be another match. Ruby Riot(Hedi Lovelace) debuted at the tapings helping Tye take care of Nikki Cross.

Best match of the tapings was Oney Lorcan vs Andrade Cien Almas. Almas is on another level right now. Really good back and forth match with some vicious slaps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

My usual reminder that there is a taping going on tonight so for those who want to be spoiler free you have been warned about visiting the various parts of the internet

Judging by the people who are there (and I sure Tim will say more) UCF did not buy tickets AGAIN so most likely this will be the last time they tape there.

Oh and someone clearly is getting called up because they taped a Loser Leaves NXT Match

Bringing him out on the RAW after Wrestlemania is going to create some of the weirdest meta-heat imaginable. They probably shouldn't do that, but I kinda hope they do. Corey's reaction is going to be priceless.

Were those the last tapings before Takeover: Orlando?

They really need a new Ryan Ward soon. Apart from the tag title match, they seem to have done a pretty poor job in building up to this Takeover. Compare this to how excited we were for Takeover: Dallas last year.