DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure if anyone is watching it but The Mick was renewed for a 2nd season

I've been watching it. It has it moments, but I think doing a sorta Sunny spin off on Network TV has issues. They are still trying to calibrate.

Always Sunny has been great this year. The first few episodes felt off with new writers, but I really appreciate the experimenting. 

The Dennis as a murderer documentary was great. Who among has not taken animal tranqs while watching some wrestling.

Wife and I watch the Mick.  I don't love it, but it's gotten funnier as the season has progressed.  I'm kinda wondering if it's not one of those shows that will have a meh start, then bring in new writers for the second or third season and suddenly put it all together.

Kaitlin Olson is surprisingly good in the role and seems to have a knack for goofy comedy.  I've only watched Always Sunny in Philadelphia once or twice during season 1, so I had no idea coming in if she had any talent or not.

Anyone catch the comments about Conan O'Brien from TBS' programming chief?  On the one hand, the network is planning to extend his contract when it expires in 2018 and supposedly wants to be in business with him for a long time.  On the other hand, the network says the show will be undergoing some changes and may cut down to a 30 min broadcast or may air as little as once a week.  Mixed messages there, so I have no idea what to make of that.

It might just be the die hard Sunny fan in me, but I always felt Kaitlin Olson was just as funny if not funnier than a lot of her contemporaries like Fey, Wiig, Poehler, Silverman, etc and one of the more underrated women in comedy. So, I love that she's finally getting a ton of success.

The Mick has been a surprise as the ads weren/t but I've really enjoyed it. The first few episodes were basically Dee: The Show, but they've given her character more heart and pathos while still having an edge in the last few episodes. Mick also isn't as desperate and self conscious as Dee and doesn't care what people think. She's kind of more like Frank in that regard.

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 5:45 AM, RIPPA said:

I am not sure if anyone is watching it but The Mick was renewed for a 2nd season

I tried an episode and opted out.

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 1:31 PM, peterien said:

Fargo season 3 premieres April 19th

Sweet!

Anyone catch the premiere of Crashing?  It's not bad, I don't really have any strong feelings, good or bad about Pete Holmes, but I thought there was a couple really good moments.  It was fun seeing Artie Lange playing himself.

On 2/21/2017 at 8:23 PM, J.H. said:

Was trying to find something to watch with The Wife that isn't episodes of House and we settled on Broad City... Holy cats we are in love with thisshow! Abbi Jacobsen isalso my new Yenta of choice!

James

Broad City's the best and an all-time great comedy.

7 hours ago, caley said:

Anyone catch the premiere of Crashing?  It's not bad, I don't really have any strong feelings, good or bad about Pete Holmes, but I thought there was a couple really good moments.  It was fun seeing Artie Lange playing himself.

I like Pete Holmes a lot and was excited when I heard about the show, checked out the first episode & I dig it thus far. However, I was extremely weirded out seeing Lauren Lapkus' boob. 

Sneaky Pete was awesome. The season finale plays out like a movie and all of the moving parts from the entire season come together incredibly well. As it was ending, I wondered how they would even do a second season because everything gets wrapped up well and then the way the finale ends shows you the way.

I don't want to say any more because it's worth watching and the surprises are worth it too. I liked it more than Mad Dogs and season 2 of Man in the High Castle, about the same as the seasons of Catastrophe, and not as much as Man in the High Castle season 1.

BTW, what did you guys think about the second season of Man in the High Castle? I was a little let down.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, what did you guys think about the second season of Man in the High Castle? I was a little let down.

Anything that wasn't involving Smith and his son had me bored as hell, honestly. Are they trying to make people actively root for the Nazis and the Kempeitai? No one in the resistance comes off as endearing.

The Tagomi storyline was....yeah. 

I am not exactly jazzed about a third season.

Ok, yeah, those were my feelings too. Smith getting slightly woke...but still being a Nazi...was weird. As weird was painting Smith and Kido as heroes. They made the resistance look like assholes while the Nazis and Kido save the world. All of the Tagomi stuff was boring as shit too.

Season 1 ended on such a high note and left me feeling that the resistance and Tagomi would help bring about some sort of downfall via help and info from our universe, and instead it was kinda that, but not really? I'm just so confused by the decisions made with the second season.

If there is a third season, I'd hope it's just Smith coming to terms with how he sold out America and how he won't sell his family out. His son dies anyway and sets out to tear down the Nazi regime.

Also, holy shit, WTF was up with the portrayals of the futuristic and utopian Nazi society? Exactly what were the show runners trying to say?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victator said:

She is pretty much Dee. I do assume the Gang acts slightly better if saddled with children.

Well Dee is the closest thing to the a decent human being in the gang. Not saying she IS one, but she is the bestof the bunch... .

6 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Well Dee is the closest thing to the a decent human being in the gang. Not saying she IS one, but she is the bestof the bunch... .

Really, I think Charlie is a much better person. With the life him and Mac have had, they are doing good not being serial killers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Sneaky Pete was awesome. The season finale plays out like a movie and all of the moving parts from the entire season come together incredibly well. As it was ending, I wondered how they would even do a second season because everything gets wrapped up well and then the way the finale ends shows you the way.

Did you see why I think Olyphant could have been the perfect Lance?  He is the exact kind of guy who you fully understand why Julia would fall for him, but he is always in some shit that he's smart enough to understand, but not quite smart enough to pull off.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Did you see why I think Olyphant could have been the perfect Lance?  He is the exact kind of guy who you fully understand why Julia would fall for him, but he is always in some shit that he's smart enough to understand, but not quite smart enough to pull off.

Yeah, maybe. He was always a step ahead of everyone in Justified, and to an extent, Deadwood too.

14 hours ago, Victator said:

Really, I think Charlie is a much better person. With the life him and Mac have had, they are doing good not being serial killers. 

Yeah I was gonna say this as well. Charlie is fucked up but he usually has good intentions. 

• Like 1