DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I love The Expanse. 

How perfectly timed is this season to have so many parallels that touch on several social and world order issues we're dealing with right now? (Xenophobia, anti-immigrant backlash, patriotism, military aggression, vigilante justice, corporate ethics, genocide).

Unfortunately the series seems destined to suffer from the same weakness that the novels do.

Spoiler

The novels really don't explain or clarify what threat the protomolecule poses to humanity other than the zombie dealie and it serves no real purpose other than to unite the factions to stop its spread.

It could almost be classified as a macguffin if the characters didn't spend so much time analyzing, discussing, and trying to destroy it.

Just got around to watching Sunny tonight. What a great episode. I was unaware that FX is now incredibly lenient with it's language restriction. It was at HBO-like levels. But yeah, this season has been great thus far. 

Oh, Workaholics too. Solid ep as well. 

So I guess none of you forced the Grammies upon yourselves, or had them forced upon you by others? I went over to hang with friends and of course one of the party had to watch the proceedings, which actually ended up really entertaining from all the audio fuckups (seriously, it's THE GRAMMIES. Get a goddamn tech in there to troubleshoot beforehand), Adele cursing (which was missed as I was at the store buying supplies), Tribe killing it, and the Time showing up unannounced to pay tribute to Prince. Pretty fun which I did not expect.

Also: somebody please tell Lady Gaga to never dance ever again. That should be her punishment to be doing that striptease horseshit during a passable metal song and making it way worse than it actually was. I don't even have a complaint with her voice (she's got good pipes), but that was just... ugh.

I watched just enough of the Grammys to see the onscreen mention of the Velvet Underground getting the Lifetime Achievement award and Sturgill Simpson performing with the Dap Kings. Just like every year, some wins I disagree with, some I'm good with, but the Velvets deal was more than enough for me.

39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

and the Time showing up unannounced to pay tribute to Prince. Pretty fun which I did not expect.

... I knew The Time was showing up to pay tribute 3 weeks ago. Hell, one of the members of the band is the Chairman Emeritus of the Grammies.

Oh, they just showed archival footage of each of the Lifetime Achievement winners in one big montage. John Cale was on hand to accept for the Velvets.

https://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/press-release/shirley-caesar-ahmad-jamal-charley-pride-jimmie-rodgers-nina-simone

I know, I know, absolutely awful of me to omit Nina in my previous post. 

Is anybody watching this season of Homeland?  It's definitely slower and more, maybe....cerebral?  It's very good, though, and so far it's featured some harsh commentary on:

• America's treatment of veterans
  • America's treatment on anyone even remotely suspected of being a "terrorist"
  • Israel's behavior
  • President elect vs the intelligence community

But it just took an insane turn and is going to get more bonkers judging from the preview for next week's episode.

• Like 1

So when I first saw the ads for "The Good Place" I thought it looked awful. Then I heard some good things and figured maybe I'd check it out eventually and I started watching it tonight.

I'm about to start episode 7. It's not laugh out loud hilarious, but it's pretty fucking great.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Make sure you go all the way through to the end. 

I already know the twist. I read a spoiler when I didn't think I'd watch it. Actually, that's part of what got me interested . So knowing that is actually fun, as I'm seeing the subtle things that hint at it.

• Like 1