DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

You get this problem when you have too much Sci and not enough Fi. Most hard science sci-fi movies end up somewhere on the boring/ pretentious arc (like Contact and Interstellar), unless they do a big final act swing into being an action/ horror movie (like Sunshine (Danny Boyle, 2007) did).

• Like 1

I'd heard good things about Central Intelligence and I was still pleasantly surprised. It's probably Rock's finest performance and the best use of Kevin Hart I've seen. The way they build a weird character dynamic between them and endlessly mine it for jokes is so perfect. The plot is pretty much an action comedy auto template, but the way that framework is used is a great example of movies being less what they're about than how they're about them. 

1 hour ago, Control said:

Do we have to spoiler this shit?

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah I think they're just Tralfamadorians in the sense that they don't see time in a linear fashion. She gains this ability by learning their language, and decides "so it goes."

I've also read the original and gotta disagree with the multiple realities interpretation. 

Well:

Spoiler

That is one of the divergences from story to the movie.  Louise's fears of losing a child are specific to her translation of the alien language.  If you're applying the linguistic relativity hypothesis to the experience as Chiang suggests, then the only conclusion you can draw is that learning the language is developing her cognitive ability.

She doesn't just have a different understanding of time, she can perceive alternate time streams as the aliens do.  The critique that most reviewers have with the short story is that the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis flies in the face of general relativity.  Time, like energy and light, is a constant that doesn't go backwards and can be distorted, but never really diverges unless acted upon by an overwhelming force like super gravity.

Her fear of having a child comes from the certainty that comes with the fledgling ability of seeing through time / space.  As her mastery of the language progresses, she becomes unafraid to fall in love and have a baby because her perception of time / space expands and she knows that no matter what happens in her current time stream, her child will be healthy in another..

The novel and the movie avoid the clutter of temporal mechanics jargon.   I added that stuff because I've seen way too many movies and television shows about time travel.

Just my take and two cents.

My takeaway from the ending of Arrival

Spoiler

is that she knew what lay ahead for her child and for her relationship, but went ahead with it anyway because the time with and the love she would have for her child was irreplaceable. She couldn't change her daughter's ultimate fate, but she could cherish the time and memories she would make with her.

• Like 4

I'm chiming in too:

So I think it's not a matter whether or not she had choice. They seem time differently. She was constantly seeing all of her memories at once. To her, it already happened. It was going to happen. It was happening. All at once and at every moment. She was walking down a path that was already tread. The idea of changing it wasn't even something that could cross her mind because I'm not sure she constantly processing it all at once. She was outside of it to some degree. There's a definite lack of free will which always bothers me to some degree. This wasn't a time travel movie though. It was a movie where the beings were able to process a fourth dimension, a sort of quantum flow of what "has already will happen." She couldn't change it any more than she could change the past. Her having the foresight was part of why things happened in the first place.

• Like 2

Yeah...

I initially had the free will problem too, but I saw it explained very well somewhere else (and it's what Matt D is getting at, I think): choice is not a concept that would exist for these aliens, so they're not really "lacking" free will because it wasn't something they even recognized as existing.  Choice only exists for us because we don't know what will happen in the future.

Also, Abbott being killed by the bomb pretty much proves that the aliens can't change anything about the future.

• Like 1

You know how if you get a great writer to write a movie, get a great director to film it, and have a great cast to play it? You'd think that would make it a good movie, if you have all that talent involved, at every level or the planning and performance, right?

I just watched The Counsellor. I'd heard it was bad, but I'd assumed that just meant disappointing, and if I went in with low expectations it'd be a pleasant surprise. But no, it sucked a giant hairy arse. Better luck next time, lads.

5 hours ago, AxB said:

You know how if you get a great writer to write a movie, get a great director to film it, and have a great cast to play it? You'd think that would make it a good movie, if you have all that talent involved, at every level or the planning and performance, right?

I just watched The Counsellor. I'd heard it was bad, but I'd assumed that just meant disappointing, and if I went in with low expectations it'd be a pleasant surprise. But no, it sucked a giant hairy arse. Better luck next time, lads.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But wasn't it so good to laugh at mockingly? What a steaming pile of shit that was. 

Written by CORMAC MCCARTHY. Directed by RIDLEY SCOTT. As Colbert said tonight, "good sweet and sour Jesus"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Control said:

I'm hearing it's racist against white people, which sounds like an endorsement.

Being white, I did actually get a little mad at one point.  Then I thought, "Hey, maybe this is how people of other races feel about whitewashing, typecasting, tokenism, etc."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Control said:

I'm hearing it's racist against white people, which sounds like an endorsement.

On social media, all I see are the same people who scream "race card" during something they don't like calling this movie "racist." Which reeks of hypocrisy, but that's fine....

30 minutes ago, just drew said:

On social media, all I see are the same people who scream "race card" during something they don't like calling this movie "racist." Which reeks of hypocrisy, but that's fine....

It's like when MRA dudes were upset about MAD MAX. Pretty good indicator that the movie is great.

• Like 3

Are these the same fucks who thought LEGO Batman was pro-gay propaganda? Or the geeks who despised the feminist/multicultural slant of the new Star Wars movies? Or the people who HILARIOUSLY think Star Trek (of all fucking things) shouldn't be making social statements?

If so, thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out sometime this week. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, S.K.o.S. said:

Being white, I did actually get a little mad at one point.  Then I thought, "Hey, maybe this is how people of other races feel about whitewashing, typecasting, tokenism, etc."

It's how people feel about people who love Beyoncé and soul food and phat beats to tha rhyme, but will still pull their kids closer to the shopping cart if a black man walks down the same aisle as them in target. 

You love the vibrant culture, but would rather live very far away from people that produce the vibrant culture.  Being invited to a party and being welcomed to the party are two different things.

• Like 1

Just rewatched Rumble in the Bronx (1995) for the first time in maybe a decade.

I forgot how bat shit insane this movie is. I forgot how big budget it was, the stunts weren't just Jackie smashing fridge doors over people's heads repeatedly. There is a lorry full of play-balls (different from regular balls I guess) that is pushed off the top of a multi-storey. Let alone a fucking hovercraft chase that just goes on and on and on and is awesome.

Jackie was in his peak and is certifiably insane with the stunts he was doing in this movie. Also, Francoise Yip is like ohmygod levels of hot. The bottle scene still actually gets me really sympathetic for Jackie, ready for his babyface come-back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Just rewatched Rumble in the Bronx (1995) for the first time in maybe a decade.

I forgot how bat shit insane this movie is. I forgot how big budget it was, the stunts weren't just Jackie smashing fridge doors over people's heads repeatedly. There is a lorry full of play-balls (different from regular balls I guess) that is pushed off the top of a multi-storey. Let alone a fucking hovercraft chase that just goes on and on and on and is awesome.

Jackie was in his peak and is certifiably insane with the stunts he was doing in this movie. Also, Francoise Yip is like ohmygod levels of hot. The bottle scene still actually gets me really sympathetic for Jackie, ready for his babyface come-back.

As much as people love the stuff from Rumble in the Bronx, I still think that the action scenes First Strike are the better showcase of Jackie's pure athleticism as an elder statesman stuntman at the peak of his performance level..

The classic brawl in Drunken Master II with Ken Lo is still his best pure fight scene, although I still have a soft spot for the 50% choreographed / 50% improved rooftop brawl in Who Am I between Chan, Yung Kuan, and Ron mother fucking Smoorenburg.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The things me and my friends love about Rumble In the Bronx make me a terrible person

MY CUSHION~!

God, I hope they keep the coals nice and toasty in the extra special section of Hell where you and your friends will be.