DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

In the commentary track for the Usual Suspects (which I believe was the first commentary track ever), they said the dog definitely got off the boat before they blew the boat up. 

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Fuck - I get upset at the random gif of Hulk Hogan from Thunder in Paradise where it appears they accidentally captured a guy murdering a dog

It was Mr. Nanny, but yeah, that guy just threw away a dog into a lake. 

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Not sure if I mentioned this on here before, but becoming a pet owner last year has changed me at least a little bit in this respect.  There's a scene in American Honey where kids steal a dog from its owners and I got more upset about that than I would have expected.

Yup.  For instance, long before I had a dog, I watched and loved Amores Perros with three intersecting stories connected by dogs, and the first one is about a guy who puts his dog in a dog-fighting ring.  And, since that first viewing, my sister and her husband got a dog, then I got a dog, than my brother got a dog, and I know there's no way I'll ever be able to watch that movie again.

In regards to the "infamous" scene with the German Shepard in A Dog's Purpose:

Spoiler

I think the producers were scared to death because the scene in question (of the dog actually jumping in the water), momentarily takes away from the film because it is so glaring how bad it's edited to hide the fact a German Shepherd somehow got in the water at all.

On 2/15/2017 at 1:48 AM, caley said:

I 100% understand this, especially since the scene itself

Reveal hidden contents

where John Wick awakens to find his shot dog has dragged its bloody body across the floor to die by his side while he's unconscious

is just DEVASTATING.

I can handle most things in movies, but any scene where an animal is going to die or even in distress is just it for me.  I bought and was watching 'The Good, The Bad and the Weird' and thought "Boy some of these explosions look like they're happening REALLY close to the horses", then watched another where a horse clearly goes down, looked the film up and found it was banned (Until they re-edited it or something) in England because of some mistreatment/possible deaths of the horses.  I sold the movie to a book store a few days later.

Pretty sure an actual human being died filming that scene as well but of course was thankfully not shown in the film. 

You guys should watch Jet Li's debut film Shaolin Temple. Their is a scene where he accidentally suffocates his "love interest's" dog under his bed sheet when she makes it chase him and he winds up back at the temple and has to try and hide when a high up monk comes snooping...Cut to the next scene at night and Jet is cooking the dog in the woods outside and is quickly found by his fellow monks and teacher who all proceed to eat the dog for the obligatory "oh the monks are eating meat" scene in every Shaolin movie ever. Oh yea and his teacher who munches out on the dog too is the father of the "love interest".

Different times/culture I know and it sounds worse typed out(the dog spends 2 seconds under the sheet and you never see it laying there dead and the night scene starts with whatever Jet is cooking in the woods cooked black and not in the shape of a dog)but yea. 

Hey, finally something good! 

Boyhood - The story of Mason as he grows from young boy to college freshman as told through a series of not-always-connected scenes. There's not real overarching plot, just the kid growing up and dealing with parents, divorce, girls, school. Etc. The conceit here, as most probably know, it's that the movie was filmed in pieces using the same cast over the span of 12 years so we are literally watching the kid grow up before our eyes. The cast  is terrific as well. Highly recommended though I can easily see where this one would be a total miss for a lot of people. 

• Like 1

I'm legitimately baffled someone watched that movie and thought Arquette was "an awful actress" while she have a stunning, consistent and mesmerizing performance over the course of over a decade. It's one of the finest pieces of film acting in recent history and at times almost solely carries the movie.

So yeah, to each their own.

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I was so bored by Boyhood that I  turned it off within a half hour, but each to his own and all that....

I get it.  I could tell right away that it would be really polarizing.  I was drawn into the characters and the kid's development but I can see where the way they did it wouldn't appeal.

• Like 1