DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

John Wick 2 is all about playing in the world created in the first one, and it's fun. I don't know if I liked it quite as much as its predecessor, but two things it has going for it are

Spoiler

The dog living and Hobo Army©. 

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

John Wick 2 is all about playing in the world created in the first one, and it's fun. I don't know if I liked it quite as much as its predecessor, but two things it has going for it are

Hide contents

The dog living and Hobo Army©. 

And.....

THE FUCKING PENCIL SCENE!

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Some interesting tidbits on casting from wiki. Imagine how different the movie would've been if any of these happened. I actually could see Tim Curry in the role of Doom and absolutely see why he'd have been too scary for it. Would've changed the whole tone of the movie. Christopher Lee as well. 

Those were all some interesting choices that I'm pleased never happened because I love Hoskins and Lloyd way too much in that film to imagine anything different.

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

This is also how I perceived things.  Injury or age can kill a career in sports and a successful music career all depends on external forces like record sales and hit songs, but once you learn a trade or gain some education, that is yours to keep.

Troy is trying to steer his son in the proper direction, but he's never had a father to show him how to take different approaches to parenting, so he resorts to the do as I say, not as I do and the because I am the man of the house, that's why models.

Right. But also: things have changed, and Troy (understandably) doesn't recognize that. Obviously it's not like the US stopped being racist between his adolescence and his son's, but there are opportunities for his son that didn't exist for Troy. He definitely has his own history in mind.

13 hours ago, Control said:

Right. But also: things have changed, and Troy (understandably) doesn't recognize that. Obviously it's not like the US stopped being racist between his adolescence and his son's, but there are opportunities for his son that didn't exist for Troy. He definitely has his own history in mind.

True enough, but parents in general are notoriously horrible at noticing those things and Troy's son is still born in a time where he will be judged by the color of his skin.

Troy wants his son to be mindful of this reality, but he doesn't exactly go about teaching his son about this life lesson in the most nurturing manner.

One of the problems I have with Fences is that Troy's extracurricular is so detestable (ie. his affair, his appropriation of his brother's disability money, the notion that he is envious of his son's athletic ability) that it renders you completely unsympathetic to Troy as a person.

I genuinely believe that Troy has his son's best interests at heart and wants his son to do well in life, but he comes off as such a sketchy and bitter person that you're inclined to second guess his motives every step of the way.  I suppose that Wilson designed Troy that way on purpose to challenge audiences to really search for the good in Troy and to keep the characters in the play from becoming two dimensional archetypes.

I A couple more 

Moonlight - This was solid. Interesting story of a young boy growing up and navigating a world of violence and bullying and, eventually, his own sexuality. Some great acting. 

A Dog's Purpose - I loved this. No, it's not exactly high brow entertainment but so what? It's moving and funny and that's good enough. I love dogs and this really worked for me. 

Took my youngest daughter to see A Dog's Purpose this weekend.

First off, my oldest is PISSED that we went without her: even though she bailed on US this weekend, to go to a birthday party. She also skipped my wrestling show (where she works the merch table), so I'm not sure what she's so mad about. Women.

Second: this movie is gut-wrenching. Just too much, man...

Spoiler

At one point, a German Shepherd police dog gets gut-shot and dies! Like, WTF?!?!

There is zero percent chance I will see that because there was no way I wouldn't have been able to keep myself together through the full movie

Then they tried to kill a German Shepard while filming it so fuck A Dog's Purpose

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is legit part of the reason I can't watch John Wick

No, that is exactly the reason to watch John Wick.

Mother fuckers gotta pay.

I am stoked because this exercise I am working on wraps up tomorrow morning so I finally get to trip on JW2 with my old man.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Even still - all the first stuff stays true

It is legit part of the reason I can't watch John Wick

I 100% understand this, especially since the scene itself

where John Wick awakens to find his shot dog has dragged its bloody body across the floor to die by his side while he's unconscious

is just DEVASTATING.

I can handle most things in movies, but any scene where an animal is going to die or even in distress is just it for me.  I bought and was watching 'The Good, The Bad and the Weird' and thought "Boy some of these explosions look like they're happening REALLY close to the horses", then watched another where a horse clearly goes down, looked the film up and found it was banned (Until they re-edited it or something) in England because of some mistreatment/possible deaths of the horses.  I sold the movie to a book store a few days later.

• Like 2

I'm not really good with animals being killed either, but scenes where children are in peril really freak me out. 

The part in Dirty Harry where Scorpio kidnaps the bus full of kids or the stuff in Omen 3: The Final Conflict where Damien's disciples are systematically murdering infants to prevent Christ's second coming disturb the shit out of me.

The Blade movies crossed that line twice (Deacon Frost throwing a little girl into moving traffic in Blade I and Dracula distracting Blade by tossing an infant from a rooftop in Blade II) and I think that maybe there are easier ways to show Blade's compassion despite his grim exterior.

There are quite a few standaouts in Japanese animation (Elfin Lied for example) that I cannot watch since they routinely cross the line when it comes to rather violent animal death or child endangerment.  Just because it is a cartoon, doesn't make it easier to watch.

• Like 1

To this day I was fucking freaking out watching that terrible Stallone movie Daylight because I thought the dog died.

I gave zero shits about the people but I remembering being distraught over the possibility of the dog not making it.

• Like 1

Movies to avoid if you have problems with dogs dying: Snowtown, Tyrannosaur, and In A Valley of Violence.  I think those last two are otherwise very good movies, though, and that dog in Valley of Violence is just the best, like I'd put it up against the dog in The Artist.

There are no animal deaths in John Wick 2 (it's actually a very dog-positive movie), and you really don't need to have seen the first one to enjoy it.

Not sure if I mentioned this on here before, but becoming a pet owner last year has changed me at least a little bit in this respect.  There's a scene in American Honey where kids steal a dog from its owners and I got more upset about that than I would have expected.

Oh yeah I Am Legend can go fuck itself. I wanted Will Smiths character to get eaten so bad after his dog died, I was like "fuck you for putting your dog in danger you asshole I want you to die too". perhaps a little irrational but fuck that movie for real

Don't forget the critic getting his poodle forcefed to him in Theater of Blood! That one, horrifying as it sounds, didn't bother me. 

EDIT: There was also the poor dog getting shotgunned in Toxic Avenger, made worse because it was a seeing-eye dog. The saving grace is that you can clearly see the dog breathing after it's shot. To really put the screws to people who don't want to see kids endangered Troma later put out Beware! Children At Play.