DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Fences - Liked this, wanted to like it more.  Denzel Washington plays a bitter ex-baseball player in 1950s Pittsburgh.  He's a difficult man who doesn't treat his family all that well.  There's lots of conflict with his teenage son whom he treats like dirt.  You can see the movie's roots as a play in its confined setting.  Like I said, I liked it but felt the movie was hurt by its massive amount of dialogue.  Denzel is CONSTANTLY talking and it just didn't work for me.  It doesn't help that he's completely unlikable.  

Eh, the reality of pre Civil Rights Act America does not make Troy's parental duties easier to handle.  Is it really responsible to tell your black son in that particular zeitgeist that the sky's the limit? 

That belief ends the day he tries to drink from a water fountain that says "Whites Only."

Troy may be an insufferable bastard, but at least he understands that providing for his family is an obligation he cannot shirk. 

My girlfriend and I joked that if Fences were set in present day, Troy and Rose wouldn't have been married and Troy would've abandoned his wife and kid about midway through Act II.

• Like 1

I told this mini-story when the first 50 Shades came out and I'm repeating it now.

I know a submissive whose Dominatrix, for a time, would read passages of 50 Shades aloud to him as a punishment if he was bad. Because they agreed it was so terrible it qualified as torture.

• Like 5

Bob Hoskins is straight up amazing in WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT. Way more depth of emotion than the dozens of actors who have been acting with green screens that have come since. The way he delivers his monologue about a toon killing his brother, you'd think he was in a fucking Francis Ford Coppola movie. One of the good ones, I mean.

• Like 7

Finally saw La La Land tonight. A beautiful and giddy love letter to old school Hollywood, especially Technicolor musicals. I can't believe anyone saw it and didn't 100% know it was a lock for Best Picture.

I'm not saying it's hands down the best movie of the year, but there's nothing Hollywood loves more than Hollywood.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

Eh, the reality of pre Civil Rights Act America does not make Troy's parental duties easier to handle.  Is it really responsible to tell your black son in that particular zeitgeist that the sky's the limit? 

That belief ends the day he tries to drink from a water fountain that says "Whites Only."

Troy may be an insufferable bastard, but at least he understands that providing for his family is an obligation he cannot shirk. 

My girlfriend and I joked that if Fences were set in present day, Troy and Rose wouldn't have been married and Troy would've abandoned his wife and kid about midway through Act II.

I'm not saying Troy should be telling his kid the sky's the limit. I'm saying he shouldn't constantly be an asshole to him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Control said:

Bob Hoskins is straight up amazing in WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT. Way more depth of emotion than the dozens of actors who have been acting with green screens that have come since. The way he delivers his monologue about a toon killing his brother, you'd think he was in a fucking Francis Ford Coppola movie. One of the good ones, I mean.

I agree 100%. Clearly it's an insane, zany fun movie but he played it pretty straight and brought some nice levity to all of the craziness going on around him. And he did it without being a total downer and ruining the overall tone of the movie. That monologue about his brother could've been something that felt out of place in a film like that but it worked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I agree 100%. Clearly it's an insane, zany fun movie but he played it pretty straight and brought some nice levity to all of the craziness going on around him. And he did it without being a total downer and ruining the overall tone of the movie. That monologue about his brother could've been something that felt out of place in a film like that but it worked.

I mean I also noticed that while Christopher Lloyd is obviously great as Judge Doom, he really wasn't very good at reacting to the cartoons (for which I'm sure no one can blame him). He's on fire delivering monologues and stuff, but his reactions are weird. Hoskins' reactions are really seamless and believable.

On 2017-02-09 at 4:55 AM, J.T. said:

Admittedly, I haven't seen the movie, but I've taught the play once or twice. Troy is a pretty difficult character, and he seems very of his time. I think it's significant that Troy is distrustful of the two paths to "success" that have been modeled for African Americans: music and sports. Instead, he's trying to get his son to invest his time in things that can't be arbitrarily taken away from him.

The role was first performed by James Earl Jones, who really seems to be embody the role. I'll wait until seeing the film to cast judgement, but I just can't see Denzel taking up the role in the same way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roman said:

Judge Doom executing that poor, adorable little cartoon shoe still haunts me.

"He calls it THE DIP." Shudders

Doom's reactions to other characters makes sense because, well. . .

IIRC, the actor who voiced Roger Rabbit would stand off-camera in a bunny suit to help Hoskins be more engaged with green-screen acting.

• Like 3

Kevin Smith (in announcing the death of the Mallrats TV series) announced that he is doing a reboot of Jay and SIlent Bob.

He also said Clerks III ain't happening because one of the 4 leads opted out

9 hours ago, Control said:

I mean I also noticed that while Christopher Lloyd is obviously great as Judge Doom, he really wasn't very good at reacting to the cartoons (for which I'm sure no one can blame him). He's on fire delivering monologues and stuff, but his reactions are weird. Hoskins' reactions are really seamless and believable.

Which is odd b/c you'd think that Lloyd would be good at that sort of thing. Maybe it's b/c Eddie Valient was the straight man to the craziness and it might be easier to do that without physically needing someone to react to than trying to be menacing like Judge Doom. Might be a little tough to do that without someone's reactions to play off of. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, Roman said:

Judge Doom executing that poor, adorable little cartoon shoe still haunts me.

Jessica Rabbit's 'Why Don't You Do Right' was... something else. Just the song by itself was perfection.

WFRR was the first time I'd ever seen anyone die in a cartoon. Kinda blew my mind as an 8 year old. I was used to stuff like GI Joes and Cobras endlessly firing at each other and not hitting anyone except for robots.

Some interesting tidbits on casting from wiki. Imagine how different the movie would've been if any of these happened. I actually could see Tim Curry in the role of Doom and absolutely see why he'd have been too scary for it. Would've changed the whole tone of the movie. Christopher Lee as well. 

Harrison Ford was Spielberg's original choice to play Eddie Valiant.[21] Bill Murray was also considered for the part, but due to his method of receiving offers for roles, Murray missed out on it.[22] Eddie Murphy reportedly turned down the role of Eddie, but later regretted it.[9] Several other actors were also considered for the role of Eddie Valiant such as Chevy Chase, Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson, Sylvester Stallone, Wallace Shawn, Ed Harris, Charles Grodin and Don Lane.[23]

Tim Curry original auditioned for the role of Judge Doom, but after his audition, the producers found him too terrifying for the role.[24] Christopher Lee was also considered for the role, but turned it down.[23] Several other actors were also considered for the role of Judge Doom such as John Cleese, Roddy McDowell, Eddie Deezen and Sting.[23]

13 hours ago, Control said:

Admittedly, I haven't seen the movie, but I've taught the play once or twice. Troy is a pretty difficult character, and he seems very of his time. I think it's significant that Troy is distrustful of the two paths to "success" that have been modeled for African Americans: music and sports. Instead, he's trying to get his son to invest his time in things that can't be arbitrarily taken away from him.

This is also how I perceived things.  Injury or age can kill a career in sports and a successful music career all depends on external forces like record sales and hit songs, but once you learn a trade or gain some education, that is yours to keep.

Troy is trying to steer his son in the proper direction, but he's never had a father to show him how to take different approaches to parenting, so he resorts to the do as I say, not as I do and the because I am the man of the house, that's why models.

8 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

John Wick 2.

Amazing.

That is all the adrenaline high will allow to properly formulate as I want to go see it again already.

Seriously you guys. John Wick 2. Fucking tremendous. I'm like super seriously.