DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Because it just came up in my newsfeed

Latino_World_Order.jpg

I remember like nothing about this. I guess the matches had to be good, at least, right? 

You could say this about a lot of things, but it was great until Bischoff noticed it had been on tv for weeks and pulled the plug on it. 

44 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Latino_World_Order.jpg

I remember like nothing about this. I guess the matches had to be good, at least, right? 

I seem to remember that a lot of the matches involved Eddy's buddy/bodyguard, Spider (Spyder? Was that his  name?), and he was the only guy in the group that couldn't wrestle...

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

1) Harley Race's caption is flanked by Wahoo McDaniel.

2) Wahoo's caption is flanked by Dino Bravo who is actually working the undercard tag match partnered with Tiger Conway Jr.

3) Thunderbolt Patterson and Blackjack Mulligan's images are flip flopped with their captions.

4) I am guessing the ink blot is supposed to be Rufus Jones's picture.

5) I'd love to know who won the Dr. Fujinami vs. Rick Ferrara match.

It was a draw. :D

MACW @ Charlotte
Sunday, 1977/02/13

'Old' Charlotte Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina

1Dr. Fujinami vs. Ricky Ferrara ended without a winner as a time limit draw

2Jacques Goulet defeated Herb Gallant

3Danny Miller defeated Tony Russo

4Rick McGraw defeated Bill White

5Dino Bravo and Tiger Conway Jr. defeated Hollywood Blondes (Buddy Roberts and Jerry Brown)

6Rufus R. Jones defeated Greg Valentine

7Blackjack Mulligan vs. Thunderbolt Patterson ended without a winner as a double disqualification

8NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
Wahoo McDaniel defeated Harley Race (c) by disqualification

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Because it just came up in my newsfeed

Latino_World_Order.jpg

If I recall correctly, there was a backstage incident where Eddy and Bischoff were yelling at each other (I think Eddy was demanding a release) and in the hubbub, Bischoff either threw his coffee in Eddy's face or it accidentally ended up there.  Either way, Eddy came out on a Nitro and cut a shooty shoot shoot promo referencing the incident, even throwing coffee on himself.  From there, he recruited the other luchadors into the Latino World Order.   Spider was Art Flores, who interfered liberally but only worked a couple of matches on WCW Saturday Night and the syndicated shows.

Eddy feuded with Rey and beat him in a match to force him to join the lWo, but it came to a premature end when Eddy got in a major car accident in January 1999.  The nWo re-unified around the same time, and (after beating Konnan stupid and kicking him out of the nWo) they demanded all the lWo members remove their colors, and all of them did... except Rey.  This led to the Konnan-Rey team, Rey exchanging wins with Kevin Nash and losing his mask, and then to the formation of the Filthy Animals when Eddy returned from his injuries.

The crowd (and the Internet, including us here) absolutely loved the lWo but there was absolutely no push because of the cruiserweight vs. heavyweight schism in WCW.  I think one of them ended up cruiserweight champion at one point but that was about it.

Or you could say it was a let's not push more than one hispanic person schism. Or any depending on the time period. El Dandy deserved a title run dammit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The crowd (and the Internet, including us here) absolutely loved the lWo but there was absolutely no push because of the cruiserweight vs. heavyweight schism in WCW.  I think one of them ended up cruiserweight champion at one point but that was about it.

Psychosis got his first cruiserweight title a couple of months after the LWO disbanded so I think that must be what you were thinking of

I think that reign lasted a week

19 hours ago, Ryan said:

It was a draw. :D

MACW @ Charlotte
Sunday, 1977/02/13

'Old' Charlotte Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina

1Dr. Fujinami vs. Ricky Ferrara ended without a winner as a time limit draw

2Jacques Goulet defeated Herb Gallant

3Danny Miller defeated Tony Russo

4Rick McGraw defeated Bill White

5Dino Bravo and Tiger Conway Jr. defeated Hollywood Blondes (Buddy Roberts and Jerry Brown)

6Rufus R. Jones defeated Greg Valentine

7Blackjack Mulligan vs. Thunderbolt Patterson ended without a winner as a double disqualification

8NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
Wahoo McDaniel defeated Harley Race (c) by disqualification

Opener going broadway implies that the car with Valentine, Mulligan and Race was late. I imagine during the third match or so a road-worn caddy opening up in the parking lot, many beer cans spilling out and all three trucking into the lockerroom, reeking of cigs and vainly attempting to look contrite for the promoter.

- RAF

p.s. Long Live Dr. Fujinami!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Psychosis got his first cruiserweight title a couple of months after the LWO disbanded so I think that must be what you were thinking of

I think that reign lasted a week

If I recall, Psicosis won the title from Juvie on a Thunder and immediately dropped it to Rey on Nitro, or vice versa on the shows.

I remember being psyched that Psicosis finally won the damn title and annoyed as fuck that they just put it right back on Rey.

2 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Opener going broadway implies that the car with Valentine, Mulligan and Race was late. I imagine during the third match or so a road-worn caddy opening up in the parking lot, many beer cans spilling out and all three trucking into the lockerroom, reeking of cigs and vainly attempting to look contrite for the promoter.

- RAF

p.s. Long Live Dr. Fujinami!

Also possible that it was a short time limit for the opener - 10 or 15 minutes.  That wasn't uncommon back in the day.

Was Dr. Fujinami Tatsumi?

5 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If I recall, Psicosis won the title from Juvie on a Thunder and immediately dropped it to Rey on Nitro, or vice versa on the shows.

I remember being psyched that Psicosis finally won the damn title and annoyed as fuck that they just put it right back on Rey.

You are slightly morphing both of Psic's reigns into one

Psic won it in a 4-way against Rey (who was champ), Juvie and Blitzkreig. Psic pinned Juvie so Rey lost the title without being pinned (this was a Nitro)

The following Nitro - Rey got a singles rematch and won the title back

His SECOND reign

They announced Psic beat Lenny Lane at a house because Turner was pissed at Lane's portrayal of a gay character. This was on Thunder. They then announced that Psic was defending against Disco Inferno and Disco promptly won the title

So yeah - Psic had two title reigns that lasted a combined 8 days

• Like 1