DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Wasn't Kidd's neck one bad bump away from getting fucked up anyways, and Joe just happened to be the one in the ring?  If Joe had legit nearly killed someone with a muscle buster, they would have made him stop using the move.

I believe Joe hit the muscle buster on Kidd the old fashioned way, with it being a sheer drop version instead of a fancier vertical suplex that he continued to use on TV. 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Seth also hurt Balor if we're keeping score

I think we are.

It speaks volumes that we've all seem to forgotten that Finn has been off television for several months now.

Isn't there some story that Tyson Kidd supposedly was alluding to on Twitter that basically the WWE rushed him and Joe out into a match with no prep time before hand and that's why he got injured? I seem to remember reading it was an unscheduled match and they both had like five or ten minutes to prepare, which is why Kidd thinks the injury happens. Joe did the muscle buster as he always has and Tyson Kidd is the only person who has ever gotten injured from it.

• Like 2

TMK, Damian 666 never injured anybody with La Valagueza aka the Cradle Elevated Neckbreaker aka what a Muscle Buster is when you drop to your knees instead of using suplex fallaway impact and he used that move forever and a day.

His son, Bestia 666 also uses La Valagueza as a finisher and I don't think he's ever injured anyone with it, either.

It's generally accepted that the deal with Tyson Kidd's injury is that his neck was already in bad shape and taking the Muscle Buster just put it over the edge.

Neither La Valagueza nor the Muscle Buster have nearly the injury history that piledrivers or the Styles Clash do (sorry AJ..)

I don't want to completely absolve Joe, though.  For a guy once billed as the Samoan Submission Machine, he sure does have a lot of moves in his set (Island Driver, Chimera-Plex, Muscle Buster, etc) where you're likely to land on your head or neck a lot if the match goes long and if he's working heel and you're the baby getting the business, that is a lot of back and neck bumps to absorb in one match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Tapped clean by Benoit at WM20.  Pinned clean by Batista the following year. Tapped clean by Cena the year after that. Pinned clean by Bryan at WM30.   He's done some jobs on the grandest stage.

And I think he lost that match last year too, although I fell asleep before it ended. Or maybe its still going. The lasting legacy of a HHH match with me is one that goes at least 2x longer than it should.

Per Meltzer and the new WON

Rollins was getting an evaluation on the knee on 2/1 in Birmingham and the early word was that he’d be out about eight weeks, meaning that Mania was possible but not definite. Obviously he’ll want to do it under any circumstances when it’s that close of a call but WWE these days, for legal reasons, is far more cautious about throwing talent back into the ring before they are ready than has been the case historically.

EDIT - And on the radio show, Dave says it was a MCL tear. He said it is probable Rollins will be ready and he is pretty sure WWE will stay the course and promote a HHH/Rollins match.

Dave did stress that nothing is a lock right now

• Like 2

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I wasn't watching wrestling in 1997. DDP vs Savage -- Can I get some quick context on why this is so well regarded by people who were fans at the time? 

To be clear, I'm enjoying what I'm watching. I'm just interested in the perspective of fandom of the time. 

The NWO, and thus Macho by extension, were just insanely hot. DDP was getting over huge in his "peoples champ" role and had just been one of the first to get to Hall and Nash about a month or two prior. There was also the irony of Savage showing Kimberly's Playboy spread at the Clash for those of us who either watched (or like me, experienced through the miracle of videotape) the Flair/Savage "Elizabeth was mine before she was yours" feud leading up to WM VIII. 

Part of it for me also was that though Savage was beloved, being so young at the time, I had only seen him wrestle on tape (and maybe a couple times on an early Raw or Superstars). 

Not only that, but I thought the matches were great-- and still do. Maybe even more so now. For two guys in their 40s to put on the matches they did at the Bash and Halloween Havoc was awesome, especially with Hogan and Piper stinking up the main event (also shout out to Macho Man for that insane jump off the cage AND beating up a rail jumping fan). 

DDP has talked quite a bit about it on the podcasts he's been on as well.  It meant the world to him that Savage would take the Cutter and be pinned, and he recalls the deafening roar in those moments.  I remember loving the intensity of it all and the Kimberly/Elizabeth aspect brought some added heat behind it all.  It's one of those feuds I'd need to watch again as it was a blast.

11 hours ago, Thibs said:

Joe vs. Triple H makes the most sense. There's multiple ways to build it, it would have a big time feel, and if Trips does the honors it would really make Joe. 

pointing-and-laughing.gif

Also the expectation is that Cena is proposing to Nikki after their Mania match

Poor poor pressured guy

He'll tear a quad carrying the prenup to the ring

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

DDP has talked quite a bit about it on the podcasts he's been on as well.  It meant the world to him that Savage would take the Cutter and be pinned, and he recalls the deafening roar in those moments.  I remember loving the intensity of it all and the Kimberly/Elizabeth aspect brought some added heat behind it all.  It's one of those feuds I'd need to watch again as it was a blast.

I rewatched it maybe a year or two ago when Nitro went up on the Network and it holds up great, still really fun and though it didn't make me a fan, it definitely made me stay one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Only time comes to mind is ROH vs. CZW in the Cage of Death at ROH Death Before Dishonor IV.

They had two singles matches in ROH - one during the CZW/ROH war and one immediately after (2nd match was at Gut Check 2006, about a month after the Cage of Death),  They were also on opposite sides in a six-man leading up to Cage of Death.

• Like 2

Question: If John Cena proposes to Nikki at Mania, will the fans boo the shit out of it?

If she says no, will he spam her with multiple proposals until he finally gets the big win?

• Like 14

1 hour ago, nate said:

Question: If John Cena proposes to Nikki at Mania, will the fans boo the shit out of it?

If she says no, will he spam her with multiple proposals until he finally gets the big win?

He'll propose from the second rope....and if that doesn't work he'll propose from the top rope.....and if that doesn't work he will propose on the Spanish Announce Table.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nate said:

4 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

He'll propose from the second rope....and if that doesn't work he'll propose from the top rope.....and if that doesn't work he will propose on the Spanish Announce Table.

Clean as a sheet...hamper!

• Like 1