DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

17 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Isn't there some story that Tyson Kidd supposedly was alluding to on Twitter that basically the WWE rushed him and Joe out into a match with no prep time before hand and that's why he got injured? I seem to remember reading it was an unscheduled match and they both had like five or ten minutes to prepare, which is why Kidd thinks the injury happens. Joe did the muscle buster as he always has and Tyson Kidd is the only person who has ever gotten injured from it.

WWE made THE UNDERTAKER change his finish over a bad head drop.  If they thought it was in any way Joe's fault, you'd never see another Muscle Buster again.  

It's pro wrestling.  Sometimes, shit happens.

With that said, WWE should've banned the buckle/barricade bomb the instant Sting went down.  Balor's injury shouldn't have happened.  @James F'n X and I were discussing it earlier - we think those thick "padded" barricades at ringside are even shittier to bump into than the old steel guardrails, because at least the steel rails could slide on the floor and give some.  Those current ones are rock-solid with very thin padding.

But they have to be like that, Jeff Hardy has a spot where he runs along them and everyone loves that.

What do you mean he hasn't worked there in 5 years?

Although thinking about it, in a few years, when they need to bring part timers back to steal the headline spots at Mania, the only guys that'll be left to take those spots will be Rey Mysterio & the Hardys. Well, Cena/ Orton will be part-timers by then, but you know what I mean.The person in the Sting/ Goldberg spot where they're dragged in by the videogame deal. 

47 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

It's pro wrestling.  Sometimes, shit happens.

With that said, WWE should've banned the buckle/barricade bomb the instant Sting went down.  Balor's injury shouldn't have happened.  @James F'n X and I were discussing it earlier - we think those thick "padded" barricades at ringside are even shittier to bump into than the old steel guardrails, because at least the steel rails could slide on the floor and give some.  Those current ones are rock-solid with very thin padding.

Wrestling, by its nature, is very dangerous. At what point do limitations placed on the performers hamper the art too much?

16 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Wrestling, by its nature, is very dangerous. At what point do limitations placed on the performers hampehr the art too much?

The art is hampered more by limitations within the performers themselves - as in someone who moves like Hogan or Giant Haystacks is going to really struggle to have a good match. Whereas a great athlete who isn't allowed to do highspots can still have a good match based around matwork.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DTTW said:

Wrestling, by its nature, is very dangerous. At what point do limitations placed on the performers hamper the art too much?

I don't find it a limitation not to use moves that directly cause decades-long careers to come to an end and other top stars to be out for months at a time, but maybe i'm crazy.   

I am perfectly - and painfully, depending on the day - aware of how dangerous pro wrestling is.  I've gotten far luckier than I should have considering some of the stupid bumps I took.  There's no sense making the degree of difficulty higher especially when it doesn't draw money or improve anything.  

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also the expectation is that Cena is proposing to Nikki after their Mania match

Poor poor pressured guy

So if the engagement doesn't fall through and they actually get married, Cena's brother in law will be Daniel Bryan. 

Christmas and Thanksgiving will never be dull at the Bella household.

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So if the engagement doesn't fall through and they actually get married, Cena's brother in law will be Daniel Bryan. 

Christmas and Thanksgiving will never be dull at the Bella household.

And don't forget that their (step?)father-in-law will be Johnny Ace!  Can you imagine when the Bella children start dating and their boyfriends/girlfriends come over for a family gathering and have John Laurinaitis, Daniel Bryan and John Cena there?!  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Although thinking about it, in a few years, when they need to bring part timers back to steal the headline spots at Mania, the only guys that'll be left to take those spots will be Rey Mysterio & the Hardys. Well, Cena/ Orton will be part-timers by then, but you know what I mean.The person in the Sting/ Goldberg spot where they're dragged in by the videogame deal. 

When they reach that point, that's when we see how many dump trucks full of money they have to send over to CM Punk's place to get him back...

15 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

On ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary (which aired last night), they played a clip I don't remember from this portion of the interview.  Vince started to say something about class, and Costas cut him off and said something to the effect of "You're not in a position to lecture people about class".  That was amazing.

During the recent-ish interview Vince did for the film, he lamented that Costas is a small guy.  He'd have liked to get physical with Costas during the XFL interview because it would have made good TV.  I'd say 'Stay crazy, Vince', but, really, does he have any other option?

You can kinda see some parallells between the way he runs WWE and the way he approached the XFL.  An apparent disregard for player safety, for example.  He made a number of rules changes intended to bring back smashmouth football because he thought the NFL had grown soft, not comprehending that the NFL had put a lot of those rules in place to better protect players.  Predictably, some of those rules - like the opening scramble to see who got the ball first - failed miserably because they led to guys injuring each other.

I also think he approached pro football like he approaches wrestling, where a guy doesn't have to be good on the field/in the ring if he has something else Vince can use to get him over - the right look, charisma, the right gimmick, etc.  Vince greatly underestimated how quickly serious football fans would tune out if the games weren't good.

I was a big fan of XFL.  I bought into all the hype with the different approach to football, the hot cheerleaders, the presentation and everything.  It's weird seeing this covered as I recall pretty much every single thing about it like it was yesterday.  It didn't toot its horn about how NFL utilized some of their stuff until the end, and it seemed pretty accurate in highlighting its failures.  It did make me wonder a couple things:

-If they had the teams practice for at one more month before this started could it have led to better football?  I'd like to think so.  And for the second week if there was gas in the generator and SNL went on time after a great game, would that have increased its chances of success?  I would think it would have maintained decent ratings for a couple more weeks.

The biggest mistake Vince made was thinking he had to work against the NFL.  If he tried to work with them instead he might have had better luck.  Strike a deal with NFL Films where they can offer ideas to enhance the overall presentation.  If egos were checked and things were successful Vince would have gotten a ton of credit for it.  Instead it's more "Well, we aped this shit off a shitty league."  And if he was bent on doing football after NFL Arena Football was right there.  If he founds ways to improve presentation and convince Ebersol to get that on TV it might have fared better.  Of course he wouldn't have the sleaze the XFL had so it could have worked.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

What is wrong with you?

I'm not a billionaire bossing around oiled up guys on drugs to entertain the rubes who sit around on the internet jagging off to subjective debates about star rankings all because I can't vent my frustrations over my mother sexually molesting me by pretending to do the same thing to my daughter on tv for ratings?

6 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Everything I just brought up is in direct reference to many of the scummy things Vince has done. 

Note to self:  Don't post while ungodly tired.  I misread what you were going for with that, my apologies.

But don't forget to add working to coverup a murder at the hands of Snuka while you're at it.

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unpinned this topic