DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also the expectation is that Cena is proposing to Nikki after their Mania match

Poor poor pressured guy

He can always put the stipulation 'If we win the match, I'll propose to you."

...after all, since the brand split, who would begrudge The Miz getting a huge win on the grandest stage of them all?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SorceressKnight said:

He can always put the stipulation 'If we win the match, I'll propose to you."

...after all, since the brand split, who would begrudge The Miz getting a huge win on the grandest stage of them all?

That could pave the way for Cena's heel turn, lol.  Agree to propose to Nikki, but only if they win the match,

Then lay down for Miz and be pinned by the dreaded Fingerpoke of Doom.

• Like 3

Bryan Alvarez mentioned this in the Royal Rumble recap, but Roman Reigns is so hated now that fans are OK with cheering for John Cena again. I also think that Cena's recent attitude change, which seemingly ended this Tuesday, went a long way towards getting people to cheer for Cena. So if they did the proposal thing, I think he gets cheered.

• Like 1

Also, sorry for stealing from Wreddit, but someone there theorized that WWE is building towards a HHH vs William Regal feud. They cited HHH giving Joe an opportunity even though he tormented Regal for months, they cited HHH's behavior at the UK tournament and Regal's reaction to that, etc. And then someone replied with this video:

I totally forgot about this angle and promo, but now it really makes me want this HHH vs Regal thing to happen. Obviously, Regal can't go in the ring anymore, but you could have Regal appoint someone to fight for him.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

That could pave the way for Cena's heel turn, lol.  Agree to propose to Nikki, but only if they win the match,

Have Ellsworth put in charge of planning the bachelor party and be super into it.  Then postmatch he's just moping around backstage, sadly making phone calls and cancelling reservations.

• Like 1

Can Regal not wrestle anymore? I know he had neck surgery, but he probably could do a minimal match/street fight or no holds barred type deal. Plus I highly doubt if it were Triple H vs. Regal you'd be seeing Triple H doing a Tiger Suplex on him (well maybe).

Man, I almost feel sorry for Cena if he's being roped into a marriage thing cause you know that's probably the season finale for Total Bella's season 2 so they need that.

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

Can Regal not wrestle anymore? I know he had neck surgery, but he probably could do a minimal match/street fight or no holds barred type deal. Plus I highly doubt if it were Triple H vs. Regal you'd be seeing Triple H doing a Tiger Suplex on him (well maybe).

Man, I almost feel sorry for Cena if he's being roped into a marriage thing cause you know that's probably the season finale for Total Bella's season 2 so they need that.

Regal is done. He's been done for awhile now and his most recent surgery/scare solidified that.

Regal should have had a face run as WHT in 2004, dammit. Also -- and I know this won't happen, but just saying -- Triple H could sit out Mania and it would have zero impact on the number of people who attend or tune in. 

In the meantime...ESPN's XFL documentary airs tonight. I didn't realize Dick Ebersol's son directed it until I heard him on Talk Is Jericho, so I'm expecting apologia that heavily emphasizes CAMERA INNOVATIONS!!~ and the like. From a wrestling fan's perspective, there's a great story to be told about the XFL as it pertains to wrestling. I've long found it fascinating the XFL's launch and immediate failure coincided with the apex of Vince's wrestling empire. 

I was in my senior year of high school in the winter/spring of 2001. I still watched in college, but I sure as hell didn't tell people. While the bungled Invasion didn't help retain an audience, the XFL's one season sort of set the tone for making wrestling really uncool again. And I think it starts here: 

I skipped Part 1 and embedded 2, because this is when Vince starts to get aggressive. It's surreal to go back and watch this. The Attitude Era (and the subsequent half-decade) produced some embarrassing stuff, but that Trish segment went into the mainstream. I remember meeting my present-day wife in college, and when we were first dating, she mentioned liking Tough Enough. I dipped my toes in the water and talked about liking wrestling, she immediately asked, "You don't like stuff like when that guy made that woman crawl around in her underwear, do you?!" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Is there a post of the year awards, because I'd like to nominate this already.

For those who don't know, oswreview did xfl review that was pretty great.

1 hour ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Thanks for posting this.  I've never seen it before.  Yeah, this sums up in a nutshell why Vince never found more mainstream success.  I assume he knows how to handle the press, but he certainly doesn't show it here.  I'm sure this could go worse, but it goes bad enough.  Vince either can't help himself or just doesn't know better.  Defensive, arrogant, intimidating.  Jesus!  He's almost boastful when he tells Costas "Oh, we haven't done the 'Suck it' chant or the cross chop in over a year!".  Like that makes it better.  

I'm kinda surprised Costas didn't call for security.  Vince gets wayyy too close to him a couple times and is clearly trying to intimidate him.  Actually, I'm surprised Vince didn't stunner him then stomp Costas while he's down.  And him trying to bully Costas about not knowing basic facts is just silly.  Particularly since Vince seems to be mis-representing the basic facts himself (from what i can tell doing a little research, the judge and jury didn't somehow say that imitating wrestling moves had nothing to do with the incident; they rejected the idea that that was any sort of mitigating factor that you could build a legal defense around).

I need a shower.

• Like 1

I'd like to think Cena and Nikki would have enough respect built up (even in a "we boo you, but we know you've put a lot of effort in this for us" kind of way) to get an "awwww" reaction for a Mania proposal, but I don't know if I'd gamble one of the biggest moments of my life on a Mania crowd reacting the way they're supposed too.

Then again Cena's life is so consumed by wrestling, maybe he does want that.

11 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I'd like to think Cena and Nikki would have enough respect built up (even in a "we boo you, but we know you've put a lot of effort in this for us" kind of way) to get an "awwww" reaction for a Mania proposal, but I don't know if I'd gamble one of the biggest moments of my life on a Mania crowd reacting the way they're supposed too.

Then again Cena's life is so consumed by wrestling, maybe he does want that.

Are they actually suggesting Cena will propose in the ring?  'Cause I don't want to see that.  Vince is carny enough he probably wants to marry them himself at WM to get that special "WM" opponent (along with the barely-able-to-walk Undertaker beating Roman Reigns or whoever), but hopefully Cena knows better.  I thought they meant Cena would propose to Nikki at some point that night after the show was over, away from the cameras.

Cena will probably only get to propose to prospective wives 1-3 more times in his life, if that.  No way i would trust a smark crowd with that moment.

34 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Thanks for posting this.  I've never seen it before.  Yeah, this sums up in a nutshell why Vince never found more mainstream success.  I assume he knows how to handle the press, but he certainly doesn't show it here.  I'm sure this could go worse, but it goes bad enough.  Vince either can't help himself or just doesn't know better.  Defensive, arrogant, intimidating.  Jesus!  He's almost boastful when he tells Costas "Oh, we haven't done the 'Suck it' chant or the cross chop in over a year!".  Like that makes it better.  

I'm kinda surprised Costas didn't call for security.  Vince gets wayyy too close to him a couple times and is clearly trying to intimidate him.  Actually, I'm surprised Vince didn't stunner him then stomp Costas while he's down.  And him trying to bully Costas about not knowing basic facts is just silly.  Particularly since Vince seems to be mis-representing the basic facts himself (from what i can tell doing a little research, the judge and jury didn't somehow say that imitating wrestling moves had nothing to do with the incident; they rejected the idea that that was any sort of mitigating factor that you could build a legal defense around).

I need a shower.

At the minute mark, Costas is downright prescient when he asks about the XFL killing some of the "juice" around the WWF. Imagine if the $50 million lost on the XFL had been invested in bringing some of the big-contract WCW wrestlers? The Invasion as a yearlong angle with the top stars would have been a bonanza.

Fantasy booking aside, I also think the XFL looking so low-rent and coming off as such a joke contributed to pushing away some of the WWF audience. Yeah, they're different products, as Vince aggressively repeats in this interview, but the stench from one absolutely rubbed off on the other. 

I also get a chuckle out of the Phil Mushnick reference around 2:45. Vince HAAAAATES that dude. If VKM is still alive and involved in WWE production when Mushnick dies, I'd bet my bottom dollar he'd reference it somehow on a broadcast. 

Also, have to give Bob Costas credit here. He never backs down. And good lord, his next guest that show was Bob Knight :lol: If Bob drank a gallon of vodka after filming that day, I couldn't blame him. 

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I need a shower.

From what I read of the case, the creep just stomped and kicked the little girl to death. 

Vince was driven crazy by the Mr.McMahon character. He has a very Jeckyl and Hyde deal going since 98. If he is talking about stuff before the heel run, he sounds like the old nice Vince McMahon baby face announcer. Post 98 stuff he sounds like a lunatic, He was putting on a show for Costas.

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

I recall Costas later gave an interview saying that Vince was cordial as could be off camera and they had dinner or something afterwards.

On his Talk Is Jericho appearance hyping the 30 For 30, Charlie Ebersol said Vince called Costas after the segment aired and was elated with how it turned out. So, yeah, he was absolutely shticking it up. Odd approach for an audience tuning in primarily to hear about sports, though, and a pretty fitting microcosm for the XFL's demise.

Too much WWF Attitude bleeding into a professional football league, as it were.