DVDVR Message Board

ELIMINATION CHAMBER 2017 (SDL PPV)

RIPPA

Glad Alexa is okay after eating that moonsault in the ribs(at least that's what it looked like). Rookie mistake, she'll learn to roll to the turnbuckle quicker next time.

Despite the loss, Harper looked pretty strong. Hopefully he gets a chance to build on some of this momentum. 

Hated that Corbin was booked to look like a geek but I guess that was their logical way of building Ambrose/Corbin.

Nothing was blow-away great tonight, nothing was horrible either.

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Seriously though, if Wyatt doesn't retain vs. Orton, I give up on this company ever pushing a new star to the top. Randy Orton doesn't need this title reign, and Bray Wyatt HAS to have this title reign have some weight to it.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

• Like 1

I thought Mickie/Becky was a good opener. I kept thinking Mickie would win, to further the feud, but she still looked strong in defeat. They had a good chemistry and I would like to see more.

Nikki/Nattie was good but needed more hate. Maybe some weapons or Nattie smacking Mama Bella lol

Very happy for Naomi and the crowd was awesome. 

It's Arizona and they have Ziggler - already wrestling a man down while wearing American flag tights - jump a Mexican and then try and break the black guys ankle and they expected him to be booed 

• Like 12

Booking of the Chamber match was so-so. Everyone looked fairly strong but there was at least 6 or 7 times where a dude hit his finisher and either A.) didn't cover or B.) the opponent rolled out of the ring.

Miz hits the SKF on Bray and instead of trying to pin him, immediately goes up top and jumps into Cena's AA? Fucking idiotic.

• Like 2

Nothing on the show was actively bad, just decent to average.  I can't believe I'm saying Randy Orton was involved in the match of the night, but that was definitely the best one and Harper looked like main event material.  Unfortunately this means they're probably going to just job him out a few more times.  Bray winning was the best possible outcome of the match, but it's a shame this whole program is going to end up with Randy turning "face" and winning the belt at Mania.  So do The Revival debut Tuesday night or will they be saved for after Mania?  Since they're in a program for the next Takeover it would make sense to wait till then but tonight's tag title match just cemented that AA have pretty much zero competition right now.

@Rick Well said! I'm baffled by how much hatred from the hivemind of the IWC that Orton seems to generate. Granted, he's a bit fragile and missing time due to injuries has hurt his career and possibly his legacy, but the guy is really a great talent. While he rarely has spectacular ***** matches he never has bad ones. 

In an awful lot of ways he reminds me of both Ricky Steamboat and Bret Hart, great attention to detail, every move means something, his selling is always on point, and most importantly, he can wrestle a wide variety of opponents and remain convincing. Granted, Luke Harper is arguably the best guy on either roster now (not counting Nakamura in NXT), and having a good match with him is to be expected, but I think he'll have a great match with Bray Wyatt, which is a bit harder to pull off. I love everything about Wyatt except his wrestling, which is pretty limited and shows no sign of improving. I'm looking forward to seeing Orton vs. Wyatt on the big stage, and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised, and it will be 90% due to Randy Orton. In twenty years, we're going to be looking back at Orton in much the same way we look at Hart, Steamboat, and Randy Savage today, as a guy that was far, far better than it seemed at the time. 

• Like 2

Pretty good show outside of the handicap match and the horribly booked Nattie/Nikki match. Alpha still aren't very over and to be honest they haven't set the world on fire on the main roster. I think that was a case of The Revival just being that fucking good. I liked Becky/Mickie and thought it was a good start to their feud. Cool moment for Naomi, but she doesn't do much for me. Harper made me like a Randy Orton match so that dude is pretty good. I don't know if a Harper babyface run has legs, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Chamber match was good until the eliminations started with Corbin getting geeked out then doing the same shit Usos did to Alpha earlier. Cena dropping the belt to be moved to a possible midcard match while Bray faces Orton for the title doesn't have me very excited for Mania. Plus we may end up with Styles vs Shane; ugh. They vould really use Nakamura against AJ or Cena at Mania.

9 minutes ago, OSJ said:

In twenty years, we're going to be looking back at Orton in much the same way we look at Hart, Steamboat, and Randy Savage today, as a guy that was far, far better than it seemed at the time. 

I think most people were well aware of how good Hart, Steamboat, and Savage were while they were active.

• Like 7

I really don't think Corbin was treated unfairly.  He was kicking ass the whole time in there.  But then it was time for Miz to come in and he slipped up, I think Dean had the tights or even if he didn't surprise roll ups happen.  Shit, he destroyed Dean after that too. I'd say he was well protected.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OSJ said:

In twenty years, we're going to be looking back at Orton in much the same way we look at Hart, Steamboat, and Randy Savage today, as a guy that was far, far better than it seemed at the time. 

Hart, Steamboat and Savage didn't coast on their reputations as much as Orton does.  I mean, Savage kind of did towards the end of his career, but that was more from his body breaking down than from obvious boredom and apathy like Orton.

• Like 1

Disappointed that Alexa's reign is over so soon. Seemed like Naomi was beating her at every turn in the lead up so I figured Alexa would finally get to look strong with a win here. Match was a bit short but I really dug it while it lasted and thought Alexa looked amazing throughout, quality champion and a total star. Hope she gets a second reign before long.

Chamber was pretty fun even if extremely beyond predictable. Cena going out before Styles seemed to suck some of the drama out of things towards the end. Bray has come a long way since the horrible debut on NXT season 2.

Orton/Harper was an awesome match that the crowd got hot for, cool to see. Harper's first chance to really shine in a long time. Really enjoyed Nikki/Natalya as well, thought they delivered good stuff. Becky/Mickie a solid opener. Handicap match sucked with Ziggler ganged up on then the crowd loving his post match assault.

• Like 2

I wasn't totally there for Becky/Mickie, but what I saw looked solid. I skipped Ziggler vs. Crew/Kalisto. Tag Turmoil match was decent but really did push how bad WWE has failed to push AA.

Nattie/Nikki was generally solid, but had some really dumbass moments with Nattie getting so many taunts over Nikki w/o a vengeful response. The double count out could have been done a bit better as well. They had better brawls leading up to this that would have made for a more buyable finish. I did like the aftermath both immediate and backstage. That said. fuck WWE if they are really planning to do a mixed tag at Wrestlemania. Cena, Miz, Nikki, & even Nattie all deserve better.

Orton/Harper was a damn fine match.

Alexa/Naomi was probably the best of the women's matches outside of that split legged moonsault Alexa fucked up on dodging. So happy Naomi won, especially with so much support from the crowd.

Elimination Chamber was pretty good, probably the best in a while. I thought everyone look good for when they were in though I do wish Corbin had a slightly better elimination. On the other hand, I loved Miz getting such sleazy victory over Ambrose. Bray beating both Cena & AJ feels so weird yet kind of perfect in giving him such a strong victory with the two getting pushed as elites. Bray better keep the belt for several months because even such a perfect win won't easily fix the damage they have done to Bray over the past two years.

Far from perfect, but I dug the show on the whole. I'm curious if Cena and AJ get separate rematches or are we gettign a triple threat on SDL a few weeks from now.

• Like 3