DVDVR Message Board

SDL 1/31/17 - 2 Weeks to Elimination Chamber

Niners Fan in CT

The women's tag was really fun by the end. I was pleased to see Naomi getting good reactions. I hope she beats Alexa.

I do like that AA called out the lack of them having anything to do the last month. Not sure a clusterfuck tag titles defense against everyone is the right answer, but its more than than what they've done since defending against the Wyatts.

AJ/Dean was fun, especially the last five or so minutes. Miz was awesome on commentary.

57 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The point was where was all this respect talk after he got his ass kicked at SummerSlam?

It's about heat. When AJ wins, he won. He's got the belt, he doesn't need to be put over.

When he loses, Cena puts him over.

Either way, AJ's over.

Anyway, he just had a 4+ month title reign, I think he's in a good place.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The point was where was all this respect talk after he got his ass kicked at SummerSlam?

Isn't that when John left his armband in the ring which AJ took and wore it like a headband like a disrespectful asshole?

• Like 3

The two gifs in this thread make this the best episode of SD! in 2017.

EDIT: Just saw clips of the match on YouTube and Baron Corbin does what everyone should do, he just ignored Maryse and goes straight after the Miz. After decades of wrestling, men always stop and deal with the valet who distracts them, Corbin just walks right through her and ignores her and doesn't get ambushed as a result.

I love how in that announcer gif - Otunga manages to work in his camera eye-fucking spot even when it is Corbin and Miz yelling

The amusing thing about Cena praising AJ was that for like the only time ever it was the wrong crowd to do it with. Cena says AJ's name and it was all BOOOOOOOO!!!!!

It was like they bussed in 5000 children.

So the Elimination Chamber can set up  four matches at Mania:

Bray/Orton is an easy set up

AJ/Shane is an easy set up as AJ can complain he was forced to get his rematch in an Elimination Chamber

Corbin/Ambrose can be set up by Corbin pinning Ambrose

Miz/Cena can be set up by Cena pinning Miz and this can be spun off into a Total Divas match if Maryse is willing to wrestle and we get Miz/Maryse vs Cena/Nikki

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm trying to recall did Styles ever give Cena any respect before or after any of their matches?

Umm, you mean saying stuff like "John, you used to be the man, but now I'm the guy"? Because that's how heels are supposed to do it. (Watch Jan 2 promo for reference).

As opposed to "your Indy junk, and you have never done anything" as a face? How about "you've done a lot of great things in your career, but you are not as good as me, and I don't like the way you conduct your business". The outcome is predetermined and both guys work for the same company.

The WWE is the worst when it comes to booking faces, I swear.

• Like 1

I can't help but get vibes of Hulk Hogan returning to save Bob Backlund in 1984 when Luke Harper came out to help Cena and officially turn babyface.

All that was missing was Cena grabbing the mic and saying "He's changed his ways. He's a great man. He's told me he's not gonna have Bray around anymore!"

Fun show. I liked the holla holla tag team to open up the show. I see Harper and Wyatt performing the double cross Orton.

JBL was on fire during the Carmella-Delilah Dawson "she's like a mix between Rey Mysterio and a smurf". I know that the Ellsworth Carmella power couple is going to end with Carmella turning on Ellsworth but how?

Dolph vs Kalisto was what it was. Dolph vs Crews is going to be a thing.

The women's tag was really good. I look forward to Bliss vs Naomi. Hopefully Naomi wins the title.

tag team stuff was awesome love the fire of American Alpha. Unlike some people here I enjoy multi team cluster fucks so I'm excited for the tag team turmoil.

Main was hell of a lot of fun. Dean and AJ had a good match and Miz killed it on commentary. Corbin got a little jumbled up but he can fix that by pummeling Miz in the EC.

Cena and Nikki vs Nattie and Tyson makes more since but obviously that's not gonna happen anytime soon. If Cena and Nikki vs Miz and Maryse happens and they run Ambrose vs Corbin at Mania I think Corbin should go over. Or if they don't run a Smackdowns Women's Championship ladder match (which they should) they could always do Ambrose vs Corbin vs Ziggler vs Crews vs Kalisto in a ladder match for the IC title. Hell they could add Hawkins and Ellsworth to the match just be the sake of insane bump purposes.

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

JBL was on fire during the Carmella-Delilah Dawson "she's like a mix between Rey Mysterio and a smurf". I know that the Ellsworth Carmella power couple is going to end with Carmella turning on Ellsworth but how?

I'm guessing when he runs out of money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steve said:

It's about heat. When AJ wins, he won. He's got the belt, he doesn't need to be put over.

When he loses, Cena puts him over.

Either way, AJ's over.

Anyway, he just had a 4+ month title reign, I think he's in a good place.

AJ has been in far worse places. 

ajstylesturkeysuit.jpg

Great show. Fun opening segment setting up the tag. Cena/Orton did feel a little fresh happening now. Awesome to see Delilah Doom on again, last time on Raw she was Rachel Levy against Nia now Delilah Dawson. Loved the womens tag. The spot where Alexa did the double knees + backflip double knees on Naomi but clearly never actually landed on Naomi so she sold it herself because her knees hit the mat and that leading to the hot tag was great. Alexa is always a highlight every week.

Another very good Ambrose/Styles main event w/ fun commentary and a solid win for AJ. Cracked up when Ambrose is on his knees and Styles follows in with a kick, Miz goes "What's this? Using MY kicks?" Good mix of talent lined up for the Chamber.

Poor Corbin got schooled hard by Miz.  The guy has some decent phrases he goes with, but has little in the way of improv skills.  Putting him out there with Miz was just asking for trouble.  But I like Corbin a ton and think in a couple weeks this won't mean anything.  Speaking of Miz, he was an absolute joy to listen to.  He just went to town on both Otunga and Corbin and it was awe-inspiring.

And on the Talkin' Smack front, YAAAAAY for Daniel being back!  I missed him a ton and he wasted no time reminding me why.

Watching that Claire Lynch video almost had me pining for the Davey/Eddie suplex gif (you know the one)  But thankfully common sense took over.  AJ needs the belt back now to make good on shit like that.

Okay.

This show was great. I enjoyed Dean and AJ very much. Almost more than I did AJ vs Cena at the rumble. The reason is that both Dean and AJ play off each other. They have these fluid exchanges that feel like they belond\g in a movie and while I know people hate that cinematic feel, I enjoy it because to reach that level of chemistry, you have to just know shit. It was a joy to watch. I also love how they built up the Chamber because there are no snap feuds or chemisty needing to be made. Every single one of these guys wrestled or been in the ring with each other. Corbin has been knocking on the door for opportunity and has the Miz and AJ Styles and Dean in his way and has crossed paths with them consecutively. Dean recently took the IC title off the Miz and they had a mini feud. AJ faced all of these guys as WWE champion and has beef with the Miz, Dean, and Corbin. The only outlier here is...Bray Wyatt, but more on that later. So Smackdown has heads and tails above Raw in natural development...well except what happened in the Rumble what ever.

Naomi should have had the strap on her since the belt came into fruition. She is the most athletic and talented woman in the WWE. So I am glad that they are running the program with her and Alexa Bliss. Good shit. Alexa is still a little green, but I always thought she had promise because she does facial expressions so damn well. 

I don't care about Ellsworth and Carmela. It gives them something to do, I guess, but I ready to move past the dude and send Carmela's green ass back to NXT.

The John Cena promo...Naw fuck it. @Niners Fan in CT pretty much covered everything I wanted to say about that.

I hate this time of the year in the WWE. I absolutely hate it when Vince overbooks and loses complete faith in his roster for the sake of nostalgia and what he perceives as safe. Every time,I watch year around and develop interest and reasons to care for superstars only for this time of the year to remind me that they don't mean shit. I fucking honestly don't know why I bother with these 3 months because it is a waste of time. Vince goes back to what he does and says fuck all the fans who watched the whole year, we going back to Cena and Orton. And yes, I've heard the rumor of what will happen at EC, but even then that annoys me because I fucking hated the Wyatt Storyline. I thought that shit was bush league and hated every stupid segment and stupid turn. And now that shit is going to be elevated in the title scene at the expense of AJ Styles who has been tearing it up. Now they are going to put him in the IC Title hunt. Fuck that. I am sick of part timers. I am sick of Vince not having faith in the roster that was created for him. It's every year that the WWE makes me question why fucking bother. Last year it was AJ Styles and the CWC. 

I just really hate this time of the year.

• Like 4

I think the reason the main event seems so natural and the reason all guys have had beef and been in the ring with each other recently is because SDs roster is so very thin. This is literally the entire WWE Title and IC Title contender on SD in one match, minus Ziggler who's seemingly been moved down to the low card and Orton who has a title shot at Mania and doesn't need to be in the match to begin with. That could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. Right now, it's a good thing. After Mania when it's still the same 6 guys on the upper mid-card and main event, it's going to get stale.

Speaking of, has there been any indication when the next Draft is going to take place? In the prior split, it was always just a little after Mania. But this split didn't happen until SummerSlam last year. Do they keep it constant with that original split date, or move it up to freshen things up on both shows after Mania?

They either have to do the draft post Mania/Payback or bring some NXT talent up to fill out the shows. Smackdown's managed to effectively rotate promo and wrestling time week to week with talent in the past few months (Wyatt, AJ, Corbin, Orton, Miz, Ziggler, Ambrose) to avoid fatigue; with guys like Ellsworth to stretch things out and now Cena to carry the weight. But all the smoke and mirrors in the world can't mask doing the same matches again three months from now. 

• Like 1