Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

Catching up on season 3 of Riverdale.

 

Loving the 80s era d&d satanic panic stuff. Plus Archie in Penitentiary 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught the holiday special for Sabrina a couple of nights ago. Was a fun episode though I'm surprised they already tidy up one of the plot issue that arrived from the end of the first season. Kind of expected them to get more from it for that particular character's story next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the last post was in December I don't know if people are still watching this or have given up.  But the season finale was all kinds of fucked up yet fun to watch.  And the speech in the beginning tied up pretty much the whole show.  If not for the last couple minutes I would think it'd make for a good series finale though of course they're coming back given their popularity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Since the last post was in December I don't know if people are still watching this or have given up.  But the season finale was all kinds of fucked up yet fun to watch.  And the speech in the beginning tied up pretty much the whole show.  If not for the last couple minutes I would think it'd make for a good series finale though of course they're coming back given their popularity.

Haven't watched the finale yet, but you have me excited for it. The topic has been so quiet I wasn't sure anyone else but me was watching. Hadn't even mentioned catching the second season of Sabrina which was good fun, probably a bit better than the first. Did the finale write out Archie's dad?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Haven't watched the finale yet, but you have me excited for it. The topic has been so quiet I wasn't sure anyone else but me was watching. Hadn't even mentioned catching the second season of Sabrina which was good fun, probably a bit better than the first. Did the finale write out Archie's dad?

 

They didn't and didn't need to. He had some minor speaking roles but they mainly just had him in a crowd proudly watching something. They just said he was away somewhere but didn't imply anything horrible.  But it seems like Molly Ringwald will be the parental presence for next season. Not sure if they'll further explain his absence at that point but who knows. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did finally catch the S3 finale last night. That was wonderfully insane. Loved all the threads they tied together. Kind of agree it would have made for a solid series finale w/o the last few minutes which were kind of bonkers and have me both curious and afraid of next season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fell into the same situation I did last season. I watch on the CW ap and inevitably get behind until some episodes aren't available, so I wait until it's up on Netflix. Which it is now. I just binged four episodes and the last one was the film noir one. And it's all been awesome. 

And I recently saw that the Riverdale Collective Universe is going to now have Josie spun off into a Katy Keene show.

 

Katy Keene. As an Archie Comics and Golden Age comics geek, that fills me with nerd joy.

And it's going to be a musical/ comedy! The Berlanti-verse grows. I want these Archie shows and Black Lightning as part of the Crisis On Infinite Earths DCW crossover next year.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised Josie's getting a spin-off show.  May have to check that out when it airs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 8:25 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Since the last post was in December I don't know if people are still watching this or have given up.  But the season finale was all kinds of fucked up yet fun to watch.  And the speech in the beginning tied up pretty much the whole show.  If not for the last couple minutes I would think it'd make for a good series finale though of course they're coming back given their popularity.

I didn't even know this thread was around because I... wasn't paying attention?

Anyway, my favorite comic book character of all time is Betty Cooper, of COURSE I watch this show and love it. I also appreciate how the show is seemingly aware of how ridiculous it is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was initially hesitant on bumping this since it was 5 months since anything was posted on here.  But the show is absolutely bonkers and I love it a ton.  It took a couple episodes to understand that this isn't the Archie I grew up on but it's been a wild ride so far.  As for Betty she's one of my favorites and it's a credit to her resolve that she's able to get through all the fucked up shit she had to put up with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I was initially hesitant on bumping this since it was 5 months since anything was posted on here.  But the show is absolutely bonkers and I love it a ton.  It took a couple episodes to understand that this isn't the Archie I grew up on but it's been a wild ride so far.  As for Betty she's one of my favorites and it's a credit to her resolve that she's able to get through all the fucked up shit she had to put up with.

It says a lot that I can't decide who is more toxic in her life between her mother or serial killer father.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost done with this season and it's been so great. Since this show draws from so many obscure things from Archie comics, when they introduced The Farm I was certain it was an homage to the Christian Archie comics from the early seventies. Now that the Farm's headquarters is the old nuns place it's definitely what I thought. There's lots of crosses in the background while Edgar Evernever is preaching and shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Eivion said:

It says a lot that I can't decide who is more toxic in her life between her mother or serial killer father.

I don't know! On one hand you have perennial gaslighting, on the other you have an incredible streak of violence that took out several people you knew. They're both awful but in vastly different ways.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but Alice is in deep undercover work with the FBI to bring down The Farm. 

Of all the awesome things this past season on Riverdale , the fact that it introduced me to Heathers: The Musical is my favorite. I've listened to the entire soundtrack and it's wonderful. "Seventeen" is an amazing song that brings tears to my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So whatever they had planned for the season opener got pushed back a week as they instead wrote off Luke Perry's character.  They did as good a job as possible to give him a heroic death and it was just a really sweet episode.  And during the funeral you could see real emotions and phrases where you could swap out "Fred" with "Luke" and it'd make sense.  Would definitely recommend watching.  Now if you excuse me I need to take care of the dust in the room.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So whatever they had planned for the season opener got pushed back a week as they instead wrote off Luke Perry's character.  They did as good a job as possible to give him a heroic death and it was just a really sweet episode.  And during the funeral you could see real emotions and phrases where you could swap out "Fred" with "Luke" and it'd make sense.  Would definitely recommend watching.  Now if you excuse me I need to take care of the dust in the room.

Yeah, that was my bum out news from Google this morning.   The episode was really soul crushing which is a testament to the writing / production team and the cast.

It showed a lot of love for Luke that they would kill Fred off rather than recast the role.  I think that's the thing that really got to me.

I totally mind farted that Fred Andrews was "away on business" while Luke was dealing with off screen health issues.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a lovely tribute and sendoff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...