DVDVR Message Board

YOUR Riverdale Sleaze Thread

Cliff Hanger

I only have one complaint about this show, the oversexualization of characters who are supposed to be in high school.  If these were college-age characters, I'd have less of a problem, but do they really need to have a scene with Cheryl Blossom parading around in her bra and panties.  I'm just saying, I like looking at Veronica in those little shorts, I just don't necessarily need to see it in the context of a high school.  Once again I feel the need to point out that Veronica Lodge is fucking dope.  

12 hours ago, supremebve said:

I only have one complaint about this show, the oversexualization of characters who are supposed to be in high school.  If these were college-age characters, I'd have less of a problem, but do they really need to have a scene with Cheryl Blossom parading around in her bra and panties.  I'm just saying, I like looking at Veronica in those little shorts, I just don't necessarily need to see it in the context of a high school.  Once again I feel the need to point out that Veronica Lodge is fucking dope.  

I blame the YA element of the viewing audience for this bit as it is somewhat necessary to reel them into the program and it collides with the nostalgia of the Archie comics that brings in older viewers.

I also think that this is a common complaint amongst older viewers like myself who did not go to high school with girls that even remotely resembled Veronica Lodge or Cheryl Blossom.

You cannot balance, "She's kinda hot!" with, :"Ugh, the age of her character is close to my kid's."  It is impossible to reconcile.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the fact that the leader of the Ghoulies literally acts all “groovy” is just great. And who do you all think is the Black Hood? Betty’s Dad seems too obvious, he’s the red herring. I want it to be Mr. Weatherbee but the Hood is a white guy. I’m calling it being Sheriff Keller based on the last shows ending.

14 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

So, the fact that the leader of the Ghoulies literally acts all “groovy” is just great. And who do you all think is the Black Hood? Betty’s Dad seems too obvious, he’s the red herring. I want it to be Mr. Weatherbee but the Hood is a white guy. I’m calling it being Sheriff Keller based on the last shows ending.

I'm definitely leaning towards Sheriff Keller though am trying to not go all-in on that case in case he's a red herring too.  But this has been one helluva story arc in the Archie universe and I'm a little bummed we have to wait until next week.

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” series that had previously been in development at The CW has moved over to Netflix. Originally planned as a companion series to the other Archie Comics series “Riverdale,” The CW had been developing the “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” adaptation for the 2018-19 TV season, but the series will instead air on the streaming platform with a 20-episode order.

Sorry, Riverdale peeps without Netflix...

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Midway through season one, and I have to say I don't approve of this Betty/Jughead nonsense. Not being interested in girls is Jughead's primary defining character trait.

Maybe they'll break up and he'll swear off women for awhile. And that was always the dumbest part about Jughead.  His defining characteristics are being a bit of an outsider, always at Pops, and a pointy hat. And they've nailed all three. 

I mean, it worked for the comic books since you can only have Archie and Reggie competing for pussy. But here it makes sense. Especial since the 40s and early 50s Archie comics did have occasional Betty trying to hook up with Jughead jokes.

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Maybe they'll break up and he'll swear off women for awhile. And that was always the dumbest part about Jughead.  His defining characteristics are being a bit of an outsider, always at Pops, and a pointy hat. And they've nailed all three. 

I mean, it worked for the comic books since you can only have Archie and Reggie competing for pussy. But here it makes sense. Especial since the 40s and early 50s Archie comics did have occasional Betty trying to hook up with Jughead jokes.

It worked for the comics because when your stories mostly centre around teen relationship drama, having a character who doesn't get involved in that at all makes him distinctive. It helps his status as sardonic observer of the emotional chaos around him if he doesn't participate in said chaos. I don't see anything dumb about that.

They did do a good job on the hat.

Like it or not, Riverdale has a Modern YA feel to it and there are few asexual characters in your typical rutting pit of a high school where most YA stories are set.

Personally, I would've hooked Jughead up with Miss Grundy instead of Archie, so that I could at somewhat adopt Jughead's disinterest in girls as "he's just not into women his own age."

On 12/3/2017 at 5:06 PM, tbarrie said:

Midway through season one, and I have to say I don't approve of this Betty/Jughead nonsense. Not being interested in girls is Jughead's primary defining character trait.

There were a lot of complaints about that in the beginning, since the new comics had just outed Jughead as asexual. Cole Sprouse even publicly brought it up.

23 hours ago, Ace said:

There were a lot of complaints about that in the beginning, since the new comics had just outed Jughead as asexual. Cole Sprouse even publicly brought it up.

I wonder if it's possible to find a middle ground in this.  If Jughead kicked out Betty maybe he'll get to a point where he swears off women to focus on the Serpents/whatever the hell else he needs to do.  It's not ideal but it might help fix that plot hole.

Did Betty and Jughead have a sexual relationship? I don't remember if that was portrayed in any way on the show and every time I happen across discussions of asexuals on the internet, they're always saying that asexual doesn't mean that they can't have romantic relationships because they still have feelings in other places beyond their genitalia, it just might get frustrating for the other person or they themselves have to make compromises for it to work but apparently people are complicated creatures and asexuals can be in relationships.

19 hours ago, psyclicksecret said:

Did Betty and Jughead have a sexual relationship? I don't remember if that was portrayed in any way on the show and every time I happen across discussions of asexuals on the internet, they're always saying that asexual doesn't mean that they can't have romantic relationships because they still have feelings in other places beyond their genitalia, it just might get frustrating for the other person or they themselves have to make compromises for it to work but apparently people are complicated creatures and asexuals can be in relationships.

Sure. But whatever label they slapped on him in the new comics, for decades one of Jughead's defining character traits has been that he doesn't date girls. The exact reasons why he doesn't date vary considerable form story to story (if they're addressed at all), of course. But jettisoning that aspect of his character without even a nod to it is jarring.

• 3 months later...

Finally got caught up on the show. So now we got Cheryl in a nut house cause of her being attracted to the Serpents lady. Chic might be Jughead's brother. Veronica is looking to make a heel turn soon. 

If you had told me 5 years ago that one of my favorite tv shows would be not only based on Archie,but would be this weird combo of Archie and Twin Peaks I would have asked what you had been smoking.

• Like 2