DVDVR Message Board

YOUR Riverdale Sleaze Thread

Cliff Hanger

I still love it and don't feel like it's losing momentum.  I think what it might be is the initial "shock" of seeing Archie characters in this type of show.  But even after the shock wore off I am still invested in what's going on.  I never felt like it was dragging or anything and they have a good cliffhanger that makes me wonder what's next.

And it's still weird to see Luke Perry and now Molly Ringwald play the parents in a teen drama, but it's got that nice full circle thing to it.

The latest one with the kegger was fucking great. They addressed shit and jumpstarted evolution of the characters. I love psycho Dilton and Evil Chuck so much. And I'll straight up say it, even though I knew Molly Ringwald was gonna be Mary, when she appeared I got all choked up with a wave of memories and affection from over thirty years ago. :)

Oh, and they flat out say that Mr. Blossom wears a bad rug. Awesome.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well damn.

The scene of the kids watching the video without context (I was positive they weren't going to tell us what they saw until next week) and just breaking down was amazing. Whatever complaints I had a few weeks ago are dead.

• Like 1

"Nothing could be more purely Blossom." may have been the peak moment of the whole season.

Also the producers are REALLY PROUD OF THEMSELVES for swerving us on what the Blossom incest relationship was.

"Middle class morality." was great too. That whole scene.

But yeah. In general this series has worked pretty well in spite of being a murder mystery where none of the most interesting options were possible because you can't really bring Betty Cooper back from being a murderer, for example and Riverdale needs the core Archie characters to function.

I've been reading Archie comics for 41 years, grew up loving the cartoons, and never realized that what was missing was incest. 

I love this show.

edit: I'll eat my hat if they don't reveal that Jason was adopted.

• Like 1

Was discussing with some friends last night and the one thing I was meh on this season was the hard course correction with the Coopers. When the show starts we have Polly locked away and commonly understood as crazy or unpredictable/unhinged, Ma Cooper as a brutal to the point of heartless overbearing parent, the dad as someone who is deep down malicious but too cowardly to act on it, and Betty who could break into cars and also go Dark Betty complete with full disassociation. 

Then they just...pulled the plug partway. Polly was shipped off due to the pregnancy which fit but Cheryl STILL thought she was super crazy and then it was never mentioned again. Pa Cooper turned into kind of just a dick father with control and anger issues. Mom Cooper became a more overbearing version of a TV Mom, crying a lot and just wanting the best for her daughters. And Dark Betty never happened again, being written off as her just getting real mad sometimes. All of which happens at once so suddenly around episode 5 or 6 that it's clear they just decided to do another thing and hope no one noticed. Which...fair enough I guess but weird to do it mid-season and also frustrating because the Coopers were way more interesting at episode 3 or 4 than they are now tbh.

It's my only major qualm with the season, but then it also eliminated the most interesting possibility for Jason's murderer: Polly.

That was a lot of story to unleash on people all at once.

I still love how the core dynamics from the comic are still in this show albeit in a really twisted way.  As always, whether or not Veronica and Archie are together, you can always count on Veronica's dad to despise the ground that Archie walks on. 

In the comics it is because Mr. Lodge thinks that Archie is a goofball and here it is because Veronica's dad correctly assumes that Archie has more baggage than a fucking Amtrak train.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught one damn episode on netflix and am now six or seven in. This show is surprisingly addictive. Still the amount of psychotic and/or pos parents is staggering. Not trying to burn through them so fast though I imagine at this rate I will be done either tonight or Saturday.

I'm terrible at evaluating this type of thing, I thought all the kids from Friday Night Lights would be huge stars, but this seems like one of those future of Hollywood casts.  At the very least, the actress who plays Veronica should be a huge star.

• Like 2

This show could be a double edged sword for that. But if they wanna keep everyone high school aged they've got like three seasons max which should help. Past that it runs the risk of having talented young actors losing their prime years and becoming shoehorned as TV actors. 

Basically if the show wraps after 2-3 great seasons they're in business. If it pulls a Supernatural and turns into a 13 seasons and counting monster, it could be the anchor that holds them back from further success.

Finished the show just half an hour ago. Not really much to add other than it was great. Veronica was definitely my favorite character. I can't decide if Cheryl is just after her or not because I both love and hate her at the same time which is kind of perfect. I dug most of the twists and weird as fuck relationships. I will probably be all in in next season.

I binged on the last three episodes and they were a great way to cap off the season.  A lot of the characters are beyond fucked up but hot damn is it entertaining.  The reveal about the whole Blossom/Cooper deal had me losing it for a good while.  But I'm very much on board for next season, can't wait to see where they go from here.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My track record with these things are terrible, but I'd be really surprised if Camila Mendes isn't a huge star in the next 5 or so years.  She jumps off the screen more than anyone else on this show, and more than most other actors/actresses on television.