DVDVR Message Board

YOUR Riverdale Sleaze Thread

Cliff Hanger

They're not wasting time on this, are they?  In its third week they already found the shooter, the scandalous reveal around that time and questions about Ms. Grundy.  Then for good measure toss in Betty turning into some twisted alter ego and you have the makings of a very awesome episode.

Veronica's mom won episode 1, Veronica has been winning ever since.  I mean, sheesh.  She is the best character on the show. She's a sweetheart of a girl, but she has enough attitude that I didn't believe for a minute that she was going to let that dude slut shame her.  She's the only person on the show so far that seems like a fully fleshed out character. 

Betty has been way too well adjusted to have that mother, the latest episode showed that there may be more to the character.  Her mother is an abusive sociopath, and I don't care if it is nature or nurture, no one comes out of a family like that without mental and emotional scars. 

Am I the only on who doesn't find Archie very interesting? Nothing about that kid makes me believe he would be sleeping with his teacher or have Betty and/or Veronica interested in him.  It struck me during the scene with Josie and The Pussycats.  There is a way to do that scene where he agrees with Josie, without him just conceding to her.  It fit his character, but that is the exact problem.  He needed to look Josie in the eye and tell her that he may not know what it is like to be a black woman, but that doesn't mean that his input is invalid.  It was an opportunity to show that he is a good guy, but also to show some spine.  He just let her put him in his place in a way that doesn't make me believe that all these women would be fighting over him. 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only on who doesn't find Archie very interesting? Nothing about that kid makes me believe he would be sleeping with his teacher or have Betty and/or Veronica interested in him.  It struck me during the scene with Josie and The Pussycats.  There is a way to do that scene where he agrees with Josie, without him just conceding to her.  It fit his character, but that is the exact problem.  He needed to look Josie in the eye and tell her that he may not know what it is like to be a black woman, but that doesn't mean that his input is invalid.  It was an opportunity to show that he is a good guy, but also to show some spine.  He just let her put him in his place in a way that doesn't make me believe that all these women would be fighting over him. 

I mean, Archie is the least interesting character in Archie comics too. He's basically characterized as being a standup guy who is also kind of a goof. And in the new Waid series he has a near superpower for bad luck.

Honestly the most interesting takes on him are probably when he was an obnoxious dickhead who went by 'Chick' in the early stuff or that time he was killed by a Predator only to have Betty and Veronica turn that Predator into an Archie replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself torn between being glad that there's more to Hermione than just the stock rich wife put in a bad place and trying to be a good mom, and liking her less now that we know her deal. 

It was jarring to see the "real" Ms. Grundy's obituary, but a cute gag to dress her in her iconic outfit.

Jughead remains series MVP.

• Like 3

So what REALLY happened to Polly is pretty obvious at this point. Interesting to see that Mr. Cooper is just as bugfuck as Alice.  Veronica at the Blossoms' dinner was just so wonderfully icky and painful.

I predict lots of Jugheads at cons and Halloween this year.

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So what REALLY happened to Polly is pretty obvious at this point. Interesting to see that Mr. Cooper is just as bugfuck as Alice.  Veronica at the Blossoms' dinner was just so wonderfully icky and painful.

I predict lots of Jugheads at cons and Halloween this year.

This show isn't something I'd normally watch but for whatever reason I decided to give it a shot.  It's got a strong Veronica Mars vibe IMO and this last episode was really intriguing.  

It seems pretty obvious that Polly is pregnant, but I guess the question now is where exactly she was sent to go have the baby in secret and if she's there of her own will or not.

I love the casting of the parents in this show.  Luke Perry, Robin Givins, Skeet Ulrich, are all great choices, and I'm excited to see what they get those actors to do.  There is no way any of them were cast without a plan to take advantage of their talent.  I still have an issue with Archie, but almost every other character has something that keeps me interested.

That football shit was absurd.  There is not a high school football team in the country that would have a player who doesn't know the plays as a captain.  I don't care how good you are, if you can't be trusted to run the right way you aren't going to get on the field.  Every Archie plot seems to be a bunch of shit thrown against the wall only to be resolved within an episode or two.

I guess this could be a spoiler, so ye be warned, but Molly Ringwald is gonna play Mrs. Andrews later on in the season. 

I'm enjoying the shit out of this show, and holy shit is Veronica smoldering. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, that was the best episode yet. Totally bonkers but with so much plot advancement, and it had these two awesome comic book geek moments.

1. After Moose got beat up with crowbars and more or less was ok, I thought,"Of course, he's Big Moose." And that was exactly the explanation they used.

2. When I was a kid I always thought Betty and Jughead should be together, and a lot of the 1940's into the early 50's comics teased it. Seeing it done is so sweet and Archie Nerd Geek fulfilling. :)

I also love how anyone, scrappy hot teens or bikers can work construction.

• Like 2