DVDVR Message Board

2016 Wrestling Observer Awards

Noah Mark

Something tells me that 2006 Dave Meltzer would have seen it that way, but 2016 Dave Meltzer got to be there, has a finishing move named after him, is pretty popular when he goes to these shows now, and that, I assume, probably goes to his head and influences his opinions. And that's all fine. This is all very subjective and if this is what Dave enjoys so much now, then I don't see much wrong with that.

Again though, it's the readers that vote for this stuff and I have more of an issue with the continued combining of MMA and pro wrestling, not including stuff like the CWC, and more than I do with readers having questionable opinions that may likely be swayed by Dave's opinions.

Maybe Dave really just thinks the PWG stuff is better? Who really gives a fuck. If you base your opinion on one match vs another on what he thinks instead of just using it as a potential suggestion for something to watch, seek some kind of help. I suggest Daisuke Sekimoto.

• Like 5

I have to say it. BOLA just wasn't very good. It was a bunch of 10-minute matches and they were all finishing stretches. No meat. No potatoes. No way for me to get invested in anyone. Just a bunch of "cool" spots.  I thought the six man tag with the Bucks, Ricochet, etc..  that Dave gave 5 stars was okay for what it was..   there were some very impressive spots but that is literally all it was.

New Japan has always been more interesting to me because they are at least trying to have a beginning, middle and end.

• Like 1

Oh and WrestleMania being the worst show of the year. I can kind of understand this one. There were obviously shows that were worse but this is by far the biggest show of the year with the largest audience and it wasn't a good show. It was probably a bottom 5 WM so I can see where the hate comes from.  I never remember what happened in previous years of these awards but like WrestleMania XXX or WrestleMania 31 would have been way up on my list and probably would have won best event of the year for me

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have to say it. BOLA just wasn't very good. It was a bunch of 10-minute matches and they were all finishing stretches. No meat. No potatoes. No way for me to get invested in anyone. Just a bunch of "cool" spots.  I thought the six man tag with the Bucks, Ricochet, etc..  that Dave gave 5 stars was okay for what it was..   there were some very impressive spots but that is literally all it was.

New Japan has always been more interesting to me because they are at least trying to have a beginning, middle and end.

I think you have something here.  I've been a PWG fan for a long time but I have to admit, I enjoy their standalone shows far more than their tournaments.  

Also, I seriously doubt Dave is starry-eyed and biased in favor of the Bucks and PWG.

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The two Pentagon Jr/Fenix tag matches were better than the six man match.  But yeah, they were all pretty much spotfests.

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Also, I seriously doubt Dave is starry-eyed and biased in favor of the Bucks and PWG.

I think being there live caused him to overrate the shows.  I know I've seen matches in person that I liked more than I would have if I saw them on tape.